worst controls in the history of all platformers

• 24 Replies
worst controls in the history of all platformers
« on: December 22, 2009, 19:10:37 »
The need to micro up left down and wall jumping is insidiously impossible for anyone that doesn't have a 3+ button input keyboard. (Most keyboards jam upon inputting 2 keys simultaneously, ie if you press 3 keys, only 2 will be registered)

[mod]Removed the part about Saira having the worst controls in the history of all platformers[/mod]
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 11:36:54 by Nifflas »

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
Re: worst controls in the history of all platformers
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 19:55:06 »
This is more a problem with your keyboard than with the control setup of the game, and Saira is far from the only platformer that requires multiple-button input.
good bye

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 20:31:06 »
Most keyboards jam upon inputting 2 keys simultaneously, ie if you press 3 keys, only 2 will be registered.
That would have been true maybe 10 years ago. Nowadays most keyboards can handle way more than 2 keys simultaneously.
Besides, if you have a keyboard that allows more than 2 key presses, the controls are some of the best I have seen.
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 20:45:29 »
It's kind of depressing to think that this is your first post on the Forum (welcome anyway). As already noted, controls in Saira aren't bad, although reportedly a number of people prefer Knytt and Knytt Stories controls. I don't know about 'Most keyboards jam upon inputting 2 keys simultaneously', they can't still be so many around.

And even if it were the game's fault, it certainly wouldn't make controls the worst in the history of all platformers: you probably haven't even heard of some 'gems' on the, NES for example.
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 21:35:23 »
Most keyboards jam upon inputting 2 keys simultaneously, ie if you press 3 keys, only 2 will be registered

Most really old keyboards jam if you press more than three or four keys simultaneously, but I've seriously never heard of one that jams with three keys pressed.  It sounds like you really need to spend the $8 or so to get a new keyboard.

Can you even combine meta keys?  If what you said applies to all the keys, good luck with CTRL+ALT+DEL!

Offline LightningEagle

• Who's the wacko, you say?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 00:01:25 »
Most really old keyboards jam if you press more than three or four keys simultaneously, but I've seriously never heard of one that jams with three keys pressed.  It sounds like you really need to spend the $8 or so to get a new keyboard.

Can you even combine meta keys?  If what you said applies to all the keys, good luck with CTRL+ALT+DEL!
Well, my Lenovo laptop screams and jams when you press right, left and up arrow at the same time, but I wouldn't go as far as to say that could entirely ruin a game. I could play I wanna be the guy without hassle, which should suffice as evidence that it won't ruin a game.  :shifty:

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 00:05:37 »
I banned this user. I didn't spend a full year on the game (not including the time I photographed for it) to put up with this kind of crap. I added customizable actions keys to PREVENT key jamming, if somebody have a keyboard that can not handle up+left+s, it's very likely that it can e.g. handle up+left+shift. This is unrelated to the ban though, I added that for the arrogant comment about the "worst controls in the history of all platformers", as if he have played every single one of them, and knows mine is the worst.

I do encourage people to tell me about potential problems about my games, but not by using superlatives about how horrible it is compared to everything else on the planet. For that I'll just ban without warning.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 00:37:35 by Nifflas »

Offline LimeLemon

• ¯\(°_o)/¯ i dunno lol
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 00:37:05 »
Nifflas know how to take care of trolls.
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Backloggery (click to show/hide)

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 00:38:32 »
I hope nobody gets too afraid of me now :) If there's a problem, just keep in mind to not go all superlative about it, and you should be safe!

Offline Well

• View Profile
    • hi im the well
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 00:46:57 »
Holy shit. Did that just happen?

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 00:47:29 »
I think it was intended for comedic effect, actually.  Well, too late now.

Offline PONTO

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 00:49:53 »
Well, if that was the case, it was not a bit funny.

Sometimes you need to have a bit of tact.

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 00:52:46 »
I'm so exausted that I fail to detect irony. It didn't even occur to me that there could be a comedic side to the post. Well, no matter if it was, this is not the sort of stuff I need to hear about my game right now, I lifted the ban just for the chance that it was comedic, and hope he didn't get to see the ban reason I wrote. He doesn't deserve to read something as indecent as that if he intended it as a joke.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 00:56:14 by Nifflas »

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2009, 01:04:43 »
To me it didn't seem sarcastic in the least, and if it was a joke it was told in a way too serious manner.
If I remember correctly, the removed part went something like this.

"Sorry, but this game has got to have the worst controls in platforming history - if not video game history."

The post continues from there. So yeah.
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2009, 01:13:51 »
Yeah, you're right. It's just so absurd to label something as the worst on the planet just because he have a problem with something, so when minmay mentioned the possible joke aspect of it, that seemed to be more logical to me, but you're right. If it was meant to be fun, it makes no sense to start out with "Sorry, but the blah bleh bloo bloo..."
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 01:18:43 by Nifflas »