Random facts about the music and sound in Saira

• 19 Replies

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
Random facts about the music and sound in Saira
« on: December 20, 2009, 20:15:21 »
Many of the songs in Saira have a strange history behind them. I'll try to explain a few here:

* The "Experimental Amateur Radio" station is recorded at a church around 4-5 in the night. It's me on the piano and Simon Jonsson who plays the percussion. The water which you hear in the room is the baptismal font. Having been awake all night we were of course extremely tired and in a really weird mood, but at the same time we were really enjoying it. We put my Zoom H2 in the room, and decided that I should play relaxing stuff on the piano while he'd change rhythm all the time and stop randomly. At 4:45 Simon manages to produce an incredibly strange sound with his drum. At 5:33 you can hear Simon try to hold back his laugh when he realizes how inconsistent his rhythms have been.

* This Song is The Boss is created on my Nintendo DS using Korg DS-10. No post processing or mixing were made. I sometime play this song live at clubs.

* The Intergalactic Express is another DS-10 song, but with some additional stuff created on my computer. This is an Elektrononsens track that me and Yann performed live at various places on his visit here.

* The piano stuff at Nyquist-Meyer and the Universum ending is a real piano (although the universum recording was looped and filtered). When I visited another church in Umeå, I managed to get some time to play the piano with no people around, so I again used the Zoom H2 to record random stuff. This explains the Stadskyrkan, Umeå credit. I recorded myself playing the massive church organ they have there too, but I have not yet used these recordings for anything. Perhaps in the next game?

* The drums in Haakon, and the Menu music (Elevator Song) are recordings of the built in rhythm box of a 70's electric organ, although some effects were applied on some parts of the Haakon drums. The sound in the menu song before the drums begins is a sound that organ makes when you turn it on (or was it off?).

* The pad sounds in e.g. Bormine as well as several other songs in the game, and even music in other games I have made are pieces I've cut out from my old songs and processed with the software th0nk_0+2 for Mac OS 8. This is a very unknown piece of software that you feed with audio files to produce strange soundscapes. If you google for th0nk_0+2 you will probably only find posts where I write about this software. I still consider it my secret weapon and keep my old iMac only so that I can run it.

* In the Dragon Noir and Mihika music you can Yann playing my harmonium. I love that instrument, and got a really fantastic sounding one for free just by accident around a year ago.

* The Explorer XLII uses tons of samples from Yann's circuit bent Italean Speak & Spell. Many of the game's devices, and in particular the broken computer at Hoffmann are recordings of this device.

* Yann's dream sequence music have sound effects based on recordings of me and Yann playing an artwork named Beam Walk by Cristos Gianakos. This artwork have been voted one of Umeå's ugliest pieces of art by the locals.

* Radio Kanar is Yann and his friend Léo Mathieu performing game music on live instruments. Many songs are from my earlier games.

* I couldn't find a good camera sound in my library for Saira, so I went to a photographer's studio and asked if I could record the sound from their cameras - hence the "Sandro, Umeå" credit. The sound is from an 80's Nikon system camera.

* The footstep sounds are Yann's and my feet.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 02:48:45 by Nifflas »

Offline Looki

• View Profile
Re: Random facts about the music and sound in Saira
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 20:26:31 »
Nice stuff.  :D Let's move this thread to the Saira forum, though. :P

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 20:36:02 »
* Yann's dream sequence music have sound effects based on recordings of me and Yann playing an artwork named Beam Walk by Cristos Gianakos. This artwork have been voted one of Umeå's ugliest pieces of art by the locals.

When I click on this link the first result is a screenshot from Saira.
good bye

Offline LimeLemon

• ¯\(°_o)/¯ i dunno lol
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 22:41:57 »
Interesting.
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Backloggery (click to show/hide)

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 22:55:44 »
Wait, what? Where did I post it then?

Offline Looki

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 23:20:42 »
In Night Sky. Seems like googoogjoob moved it already.

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 00:38:35 »
Heh, more proof I have to relax some more days before I begin with my next game.

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 03:10:59 »

When I click on this link the first result is a screenshot from Saira.

if you follow the picture to the website it's actually from an interview with nifflas himself, but it's a swedish website so unfortunately it's unreadable to me. :(

love this topic though. very cool anecdotes about the creative process behind the music.

Offline Gorfinhofin

• Totally Sane Storyteller
  • Bugbears are cool.
    • View Profile
    • My World Famous Grilled Let's Plays
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 19:20:18 »
* Radio Kanar is Yann and his friend Léo Mathieu performing game music on live instruments. Many songs are from my earlier games.
I recognize a couple tunes from Knytt Stories. What others are there?

When something smells, it's usually my monitor.

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 19:47:08 »
I recognize a couple tunes from Knytt Stories. What others are there?

I looked into this and found this album. All of the Radio Kanar music is on it, and you can see which tracks overlap with the KS OST.
good bye

Offline dvit

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 23:19:21 »
I saw radian in the credits for sound - is this the Austrian band or something else?

Hope I saw it right...

Offline dolvlo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2009, 01:06:37 »
Does anyone know where I can find more music by Silent Sun, the group that made the Yogan track?  I absolutely love this song.

Thank you so much for making this game, Nifflas, I loved every second of it.

Offline PizzaBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 02:18:13 »
Does Speak have any of their music available for purchase/download?

Offline Bram

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2010, 22:01:07 »
As always, the ambiance and atmosphere is brilliant. I have beaten the game today and I really enjoyed going through the entire proces. I'll probably start-up the editor, just to figure certain things out.
The second thing I did, after reading an entire history of things on the boards (I've just now had the guts to speak out loud en register), was going through all the soundfiles and listening to them. I love your music, but the thing I love more are the sound effects. I;m always curious how certain things are made and how they sound without having the game turned on.

Now, the problem is, I can't find any soundeffects in the explorer-maps of Saira. I did found the music and atmosphere, but the soundeffects are somehow unfindable. Am I overlooking something here?

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2010, 22:18:10 »
Those are all part of Sound Module.ccn which you need Multimedia Fusion 2 to modify. I wanted to make the sounds external too, but MMF2 lacks a way to cache external sound files when a level starts.