Offline PeppyHare4000

• My time in this forum is over...
    • View Profile
Re: Editing FAQ
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2009, 22:12:27 »
sorry, I did not notice you modify the faq :oops:

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2009, 23:01:10 »
I have done some calculations and come up with a way to calculate the fuel cost, which actually equals the distance between stars.
No, really? :P Actually, the distance in pixels between the two stars, but whatever. :)
Lurk more.

Offline LightningEagle

• Who's the wacko, you say?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2009, 23:55:41 »
I have done some calculations and come up with a way to calculate the fuel cost, which actually equals the distance between stars.
No, really? :P Actually, the distance in pixels between the two stars, but whatever. :)
Ah, yes, however, as pixels are rather hard to measure in any non horizontal or vertical sense I'd rather say distance. But of course that distance is measured based on the pixels.

Well, really... I did the calculations pretty much on a hunch (as a response to the question since I didn't know anything about it at the time he asked) and they fit nearly perfectly, which I decided to take as the truth.  ;)

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2009, 23:10:09 »
Q: Can you put more than *insert number* playable planets on a star system?
A: Yes, it is possible to place multiple planets in a star system.
Planets in a star system are  created placed in the star system by writing an "Orbit #" section in the Star.ini of the given star system.
Please refer to this post in order to learn about the parameters regarding planet positioning: http://nifflas.lpchip.nl/index.php?topic=2304.msg25755#msg25755.
When a planet is created you have to create a folder of the same name as the new planet if you want the planet to be accessible. When this is done the planets explorable areas can be create/edited through the editor by selecting the planet in the "Selecting a planet" menu.
I'm guessing Nifflas used a loop to load the planets, etc. At least in MMF, this would mean and end to it somewhere meaning a maximum number of planets. This is just a guess, though and I'm not sure how to test it.
Lurk more.

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2009, 04:22:44 »
Well, somewhere there have to be a limitation of numbers of stars and planets - basically the game needs to loop through the stars and planets until the images have been loaded and the names read, and I suppose the limit is if you fill the entire screen with stars or planets so there's simply no room for any new ones. It's an infinite loop that stops when there are no more stars or planets to process, so there should be no maximum number aside from the size of a long integer (4,294,967,295).

Rest assure that you will never, ever, run into a limitation. Oh, and did I mention that if you have Multimedia Fusion 2, you can reprogram the starmap into anything you want.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 04:30:18 by Nifflas »

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2009, 05:01:54 »
Infinite loops. *facepalm
Lurk more.

Offline LightningEagle

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2009, 10:17:02 »
Oh, and did I mention that if you have Multimedia Fusion 2, you can reprogram the starmap into anything you want.

Well, yes, if you know how to...   :P2

Offline PeppyHare4000

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2009, 14:48:13 »
Oh, and did I mention that if you have Multimedia Fusion 2, you can reprogram the starmap into anything you want.

Well, yes, if you know how to...   :P2

I think a starmap is good enough but a good addition would be to switch Galaxys  ;)

Offline LightningEagle

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2009, 16:29:01 »
I think a starmap is good enough but a good addition would be to switch Galaxys  ;)
Woah, woah...

How about creating a level with a few star systems first. One galaxy can easily contain 12+ stars without looking cramped together so you shouldn't need more galaxies for the time being.
I know what you are getting at though. :p

@Nifflas: On another note:
(If you read this Nifflas... please answer this. You don't have to fully explain or anything, just tell me if it's possible and (if so) give a hint, then I can probably figure the rest out.)
As far as I understand flags are localized to the star systems, but can we create "global flags"?
In a sense I suspect items work a little like a kind of global flag, but is it possible to check for a specific item using the .ini files? Like the "type=flag hazard"'s check for flags and values?
Also, do we have a feature similar to the warp-feature in KS, which would allow us to change the landscape of a planet radically?

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2009, 18:49:10 »
Sorry, 16 flags per system is all you get - and there are no warp or shift equivalents at all in Saira.

Offline LightningEagle

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2009, 22:29:54 »
Sorry, 16 flags per system is all you get - and there are no warp or shift equivalents at all in Saira.
I see, and items are only accessible through subapps?

Offline PeppyHare4000

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2009, 23:16:47 »
I think a starmap is good enough but a good addition would be to switch Galaxys  ;)
Woah, woah...

How about creating a level with a few star systems first. One galaxy can easily contain 12+ stars without looking cramped together so you shouldn't need more galaxies for the time being.
I know what you are getting at though. :p

@Nifflas: On another note:
(If you read this Nifflas... please answer this. You don't have to fully explain or anything, just tell me if it's possible and (if so) give a hint, then I can probably figure the rest out.)
As far as I understand flags are localized to the star systems, but can we create "global flags"?
In a sense I suspect items work a little like a kind of global flag, but is it possible to check for a specific item using the .ini files? Like the "type=flag hazard"'s check for flags and values?
Also, do we have a feature similar to the warp-feature in KS, which would allow us to change the landscape of a planet radically?

My level will include 8 star systems and 4 planets maximum. It will be called the Evil lair
There is probably a chance that the enviroment part of the level will be easy.

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2009, 16:48:20 »
I see, and items are only accessible through subapps?
Yeah

Offline PeppyHare4000

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2009, 23:19:34 »
How do i draw a planet like nifflas in saira.

Offline Shawnachu

• Contemplating
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2010, 00:28:36 »
What am I doing wrong with this tileset and wallmask? When I load it into the game, all the tiles have rectangular collision masks around them, including the slopes.