Download?

• 30 Replies

Offline BloxMaster

• Master of the Bloxes!
    • View Profile
Re: Download?
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2009, 04:08:56 »
I think this is really unreasonable. It's not hard to check where a link goes, and in addition, after what seems to be at least five topics on the matter, everyone should be well aware of the download links by now. I'm not even sure why people are complaining; would they rather have no download links at all and be wondering 'where to download' even more? In any case, you should be able to find anything you need here and here. If people would just check those two locations, they probably wouldn't need fancy links on this forum at all (nor need to ask where to download). I guess I don't see why it's worth complaining about.

Offline SiamJai

• View Profile
    • A gaming blog like no other.
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2009, 04:23:05 »
Also, Nifflas' home page links to the niffpage. So actually, it shouldn't be TOO hard to find stuff if people would actually use their brain while searching...
Indeed. Nifflas' main website is the first step to look for these games, and for the record, "Cheese in the Sky" is actually introduced on Nifflas' site as "Everything you can't find here".

Sooo. If I want to look for Bagatelle, and I can't find it on Nifflas' site, what would be the logical next step? Clicking the link that's marked "Everything you can't find here" and going from there is as simple and obvious as it possibly could be. And then, as a bonus for the more observant, we have the forum links. :)

I guess I don't see why it's worth complaining about.
Me either. Storm in a teacup?  :P
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 04:29:32 by SiamJai »

Offline BloxMaster

• Master of the Bloxes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2009, 20:39:38 »
If being quite honest is the same as having a bad attitude, then I must be rather awful. You can't blame us for being rather annoyed at people asking the same questions over and over, when the answer has been provided time and time again. But now that you understand the answer, what is it you want? All I see is that a lot of people are complaining about the solutions given. How do you expect us to react? I and others who have posted have been really nice, I think. I don't really know what you want out of this. We may be harsh at times but we mean well, we give solutions, answer questions, but it seems you don't want any of that. So, other than trying to insist that we are all wrong and treat 'people' (I assume you mean yourself) badly, what is it that you want? It's not mean and cruel to ask for that is it?  :/

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2009, 20:59:56 »
You can't blame us for being rather annoyed at people asking the same questions over and over, when the answer has been provided time and time again.
And why is that? Because they can not find the links, even if they are on the main page. It simply isn't clear enough that those are download links, because if it was, nobody would ever have asked.
Yes, they could just mouse over the links to see where they go, but that is far from a usual habit for a lot of people.
As far as I can see, nobody has really been complaining, just suggesting ways to make things easier for new people. If you don't like those suggestions, then fine, but its not unreasonable to try to make things better.
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2009, 22:19:38 »
If we want to adress the issue, then its not by altering the index page of the forum. I understand that it might not be conform design specs, but it wasn't ment to be there in the first place. We simply added it as a bonus. The main site offers all the downloads and people should look there in the first place too. True, many people google and end up on the forum rather than the main page, but there isn't much I can do about that. The mainpage could not be that clear, but I can't do much about that either.

The links are there however and its quite easy to find on a page that doesn't offer that many choices. You click the tab links and it gives you the link you need. All the links on the index page of this forum point to files on the page that is being refereed to from the links page on the main site.

Really, this is just a bonus. If you can't agree with the fact that the index page has links presented like this, then we could ofcource choose to remove this, but why would we want to remove something that is handy once you know how it works?

You now know that it works like that, and even if you mistakenly would've clicked it (which you obivously didn't do either, or you would've known) you would have been presented with a "Do you want to open or save the download?" question. You could have cancelled that and then thought: hey, this is handy!

Really, enough has been said by various people about this subject. I can understand that it might not be the most straight forwarded thing to have there, but as its just a bonus and not a dependency, I am not going to change it.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Gorfinhofin

• Totally Sane Storyteller
  • Bugbears are cool.
    • View Profile
    • My World Famous Grilled Let's Plays
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2009, 22:30:56 »
Hey, how about we put one more obvious little message somewhere that links to the Niffpage?

When something smells, it's usually my monitor.

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2009, 22:49:17 »
The old forum had a news topic about the NiffPage.

There's also a link in the FAQ.
good bye

Offline Dandelion

• Yay owls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2009, 05:52:34 »
It doesn't make sense to assume that there would be two links to the same subforum that close to each other- even if that's what people would tend to do.

If we want to address the issue, then its not by altering the index page of the forum. I understand that it might not be conform design specs, but it wasn't ment to be there in the first place. We simply added it as a bonus. The main site offers all the downloads and people should look there in the first place too. True, many people google and end up on the forum rather than the main page, but there isn't much I can do about that. The mainpage could not be that clear, but I can't do much about that either.
Frankly, it makes absolutely no sense to have the download links to downloadable games on a forum dedicated to them as a not-so obvious "bonus." As for people ending up on the forums instead of the main site, you could just have
"To download Nifflas' games, visit the Niffpage." at the top. That wouldn't "clutter" the forums at all, and would prevent a lot of confusion. By the way "Niffpage" is a link.
Really, this is just a bonus. If you can't agree with the fact that the index page has links presented like this, then we could ofcource choose to remove this, but why would we want to remove something that is handy once you know how it works?
No one is saying to remove the links. We're trying to make it easier for people new to the site. How would you feel if you were visiting a site for the first time, and you couldn't find something? You ask and get the answer, but you're treated like you asked a stupid question and should be expected to search harder. Some people would be scared away from the site for that.
You now know that it works like that, and even if you mistakenly would've clicked it (which you obivously didn't do either, or you would've known) you would have been presented with a "Do you want to open or save the download?" question. You could have cancelled that and then thought: hey, this is handy!
So people are expected to discover a feature by clicking in the wrong place accidentally?! That makes even less sense then the download links being a "bonus!" As I said, having the link to the Niffpage at the top would solve the problem, except for the ignorant people who don't look at all. The downloads shouldn't be "hidden" in any way.

Check out my tilesets!

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2009, 07:43:43 »
It doesn't make sense to assume that there would be two links to the same subforum that close to each other- even if that's what people would tend to do.

I'm pretty sure that's just an SMF default thing.
good bye

Offline Dynamite

• Stuck in a coloured spectrum
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2009, 07:55:38 »
I don't get this topic. He doesn't mention what he wants to download?

Offline Dandelion

• Yay owls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2009, 08:06:01 »
I don't get this topic. He doesn't mention what he wants to download?
This was origanally posted in knytt experiment, but the discussion quickly became more general, so it was moved. And can't you change the defaults? It's kind of redundant. It's not a big deal though.

Check out my tilesets!

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2009, 14:46:27 »
What the hell. Why don't you all just stop whining and go trust even the worst idiot to read at least the news bar? And put up with redundancy before you complain and nag about stuff that works good enough as is.
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

4a

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2009, 18:00:04 »
I don't know what the situation was before (when this post was made), but if someone is actively looking for a game, they should be able to find it.
The news says the downloads are there, and they're there. Also I found the main site before finding the forum (if you search on Google for "Nifflas forum", even, the first thing that comes up is the main site), so yeah. I don't get what the complaints are for.

Offline Dandelion

• Yay owls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2009, 18:16:44 »
What the hell. Why don't you all just stop whining and go trust even the worst idiot to read at least the news bar? And put up with redundancy before you complain and nag about stuff that works good enough as is.
Most everyone who is suggesting making the download links clearer already knows about them. We aren't whining, we're trying to make things easier for those new here. Even if you do read the news bar, it may not be entirely clear at first. If it was, you likely wouldn't have to answer so many questions about the downloads. And I was just wondering if you were able to change the defaults. It really barely matters. It's clear that you're not going to change it, but could you at least be nice to people who suggest you should change something instead of saying that the site is fine and that the problem is anyone who doesn't think so?

Check out my tilesets!

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2009, 19:04:25 »
Dandelion, you are whining. This "argument" was brought up way before the text in the news bar was written, and if you ask me, that pretty much solved the problem.
Before, the problem was that people had trouble finding the links. Now, the only problem I can think of would be that some may not have good enough English to understand the news bar, which is kinda hard to do anything about.
The problem is solved, so quit complaining.
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D