Download?

• 30 Replies

Offline farik

• let's make some $
    • View Profile
Download?
« on: March 10, 2009, 23:26:15 »
used search, can't seem to find a download link. is there one on the site? thanks fellers.
EDIT: nevermind, found it through google. but maybe there should be an easier to find link on the site?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 23:29:22 by farik »

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
Re: Download?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 23:39:32 »
Ey, um, did you look on the main page? The description of the Knytt Experiment subforum has a link to the zip file in it (as do all game-related subforums).
good bye

Offline farik

• let's make some $
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 15:51:53 »
ahaha :oops: i thought clicking that just brought you here? or something? oh whatever, LOCK HER UP C)p

Offline J

• Information leaking
  • I have a chicken on my head.
    • View Profile
    • Greywool
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 23:07:33 »
All the effort it takes is to hover mouse above the link and see where it takes you. "Hey, a link to a .zip file? Maybe that's the forum link!" doesn't sound too convincing to me. :huh:
"flipping around like an idiot" -- Paula

Offline KG

• Perhaps.
    • View Profile
    • Kittens
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 00:19:06 »
All the effort it takes is to hover mouse above the link and see where it takes you. "Hey, a link to a .zip file? Maybe that's the forum link!" doesn't sound too convincing to me. :huh:

I would consider downloading the forum in a ".zip" file. Sounds like fun.

Offline Gaeel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 00:56:32 »

Most people don't really read mouseover links, as explained here : http://paulverona.powerblog.com/blog.php?post=3452903

Anyway, I think either a sticky with a download or a more obvious link like :
Det Officiella EDGE Dataspelet - DOWNLOAD!
Discuss anything related to "Det Officiella EDGE Dataspelet" here.

Or both?
Code: [Select]
<Gaeel> I love you Dataflashsabot!
<Dataflashsabot> I love you too Gaeel!
<Gaeel> Wait are we really having this conversation?
<Dataflashsabot> I think we might be a figment of Gaeel's twisted imagination...

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 11:38:15 »
Frankly, that would make the index more and more cluttered. :S
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline Kasran

• TRANSFENESTRATIVE EGRESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 21:09:08 »

Most people don't really read mouseover links, as explained here : http://paulverona.powerblog.com/blog.php?post=3452903

Or both?
You might think you're smart, but I'm smarter and did not fall for your childish tricks.
I used the power of mouseover. >:3
grao!

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 21:22:24 »

Everyone doesn't do that though. It is much better to have a forum designed to be easily accessible than to demand that people change their browsing habits.
Most people are naturally going to assume that those links go to the sub-forum, and then never bother to check them. What if we did something like this? Im sure it wouldn't clutter the forum very much.

Car Game
Discuss and download anything related to the "Car Game" here.
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 23:31:41 »

Everyone doesn't do that though. It is much better to have a forum designed to be easily accessible than to demand that people change their browsing habits.
Most people are naturally going to assume that those links go to the sub-forum, and then never bother to check them. What if we did something like this? Im sure it wouldn't clutter the forum very much.

Car Game
Discuss and download anything related to the "Car Game" here.

Having two links to the same forum, one in the title and one in the description, is redundant. With the forum as it is now, there is one link to the subforum (in its title), and one link to the game (in the description). It doesn't make sense to assume that there would be two links to the same subforum that close to each other- even if that's what people would tend to do.

The old forum had
Quote from: The old forum.
Official Levels
Discussions about the official levels. You can download them here.

With "download them here" being a link. (None of the other subforums had this sort of link.) I think that would work out best here, even if some people will still skip over the description and complain about there not being any links. 9_9

And the habit of looking at the mouseover link dealy is a good habit anywhere (so like you don't end up at spyware.net or something when you think you're going to a YouTube video), and not something people would have to force themselves to do just at this forum.
good bye

Offline Shawnachu

• Contemplating
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 00:15:37 »

Or both?
You might think you're smart, but I'm smarter and did not fall for your childish tricks.
I used the power of mouseover. >:3

I fell for it.

Then I fell for it again.  :P2

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2009, 10:24:23 »
It doesn't make sense to assume that there would be two links to the same subforum that close to each other- even if that's what people would tend to do.
Design doesn't always make sense, so some people are not going to investigate something that doesn't.
For example, in the WaDF theme, there is a picture of night sky form WaDF, which is also a link to the forum index. That doesn't make sense either, because one could just click the Nifflas support forum link in the directory thing. Yet it is there.
Having the download links like that doesn't make sense, but a lot of people wont think about it enough to come to that conclusion.
Also:
Standard forum design says that those links take you to the forum itself or something forum related.  Many people miss the download links because of that.
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2009, 12:05:26 »
I'm moving this to About Nifflas website and forum, because this more general than just Knytt Experiment.

On a sidenote: The download links are a bonus. They are also on the unofficial Niffpage (at greywool) like it has been before. And games like WaDF, Knytt and Knytt Stories are also accessable from the mainsite (http://nifflas.ni2.se).

Really, having the download links on the mainforum is just a bonus. By this topic, you now know it exists.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 21:10:30 »
like I said, something like that would make the index look very cluttered. Because it is a big list of boards, which would get simply bloated with "Download here" in every line. <_<
Also, Nifflas' home page links to the niffpage. So actually, it shouldn't be TOO hard to find stuff if people would actually use their brain while searching...
...in fact, the same goes for the links. Apparently you expect "standard forum design"/ "good UI", although that'd be, as goog mentioned, retardedly redundant (at least I'd think so).
I wish people could just be expected to read. :moody:
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline chipset

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 23:43:46 »
I cannot really see why people think that the board descriptions need to be changed for clarity. It is not very hard to move your cursor over the links to see where they lead to. Also, I think that the news announcement on the top of the forum should help out anyone who is still confused. :/

Perhaps the only minor thing that could be added to the links is a popup message (when you have your cursor over the link) that says "Download link to <game>" or something like that, but this is not really needed either.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 23:45:30 by eceva »
:hiddenstar: - thanks AClockworkLemon!