Conrtol problems

• 11 Replies
Conrtol problems
« on: December 17, 2009, 21:35:21 »
Hi, I know that this sounds like a small issue, but it can get a little troublesome.

Holding the left arrow and the up arrow at the same time makes it so my character can't jump. I know that holding both at the same time does not make the character jump any differently, its just force of habit. I'm just trying to hold up so I have momentum while going up cliffs and such. Also, I'm used to being able to do that in games like Knytt Stories and Within a Deep Forest.

This is especially weird because I can jump while holding right and up. Its just a problem because I'm expecting to jump, and it just ends up killing my character haha. Is this a problem for anyone else? Is it possible for me to fix this myself.

Thanks!

Re: Conrtol problems
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 22:09:32 »
 :huh: Doesn't do that on my copy... I can't even think of what might cause that.

Offline LightningEagle

• Who's the wacko, you say?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 22:14:51 »
Sounds like a keyboard issue rather than a game issue.

EDIT: Is your keyboard old? PS/2 connected?
If several keys on the same circuit in the keyboard is pressed some of them might not respond.
Try setting another jump key in the settings.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 22:22:59 by LightningEagle »

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 22:20:49 »
Keyboards work funny when it comes to simultaneous keys.  It's unreasonable for them to be able to send information about every single key telling which ones are being pressed, so they have limits.

When I was growing up, all the keyboards I used had a three key limit, period (though that might have been a quirk of Windows Me, not the keyboards).  You couldn't hold more than three non-modifier (as in, not Shift, Ctrl, or Alt) keys at any given time, or it would beep at you.

These days it's different. On all the keyboards I have right now, it is not key-count but rather certain combinations of keys don't work, so the limit varies depending on the keys you try to press in combination.
Remap the jump key to something else, and hopefully it should work.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 22:33:59 by Exp HP »
(secretly hoping nobody will mention the object compendium)
My stars:   :hiddenstar:(Object Compendium):hiddenstar:(By PM)
Check out my Youtube channel for some terrible Let's Plays by a socially inept nerd!

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 22:36:28 »
Try setting your jumpkey to another key. Its most likely a limit of keys you can press. Old keyboards can have issues more than 2 keys pressed if it are certain keys. It'll beep and stuff.

Can you tell us what keys you currently have defined?
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 23:06:10 »
Hey, well I have jump assigned to "S," the PDA assigned to "D," quit assigned to "Q," and photograph assigned "A."

I'm using a new Dell USB keyboard on my new computer. I'm running Windows 7.

But anyway, I moved jump to "W" and that seems to work. Hah, its a shame because I got really used to the regular setup. I wonder why the "S" button didn't work while using up and left while up and right worked.

Ok, thanks so much guys!

---edit----
Yeah, I'm really not doing well with switching the keys around. So, unless I'm wrong having two direction keys pressed does not change the jump, right? If thats right, I'm just going to keep the keys as is. I have gotten used to not having two direction keys pressed at once.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 23:18:42 by kevindubrow »

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 23:28:11 »
Try setting all the keys one to the right. So A = S, S=D and D=F. You have a chance it'll work.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 16:14:22 »
Originally I didn't intend the game to have customizable keys, but it was because of key jamming on certain keyboards that I had to introduce the feature!

Offline jotty

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010, 08:56:05 »
I have the same problem Kevin on my new Gateway NV53 laptop Kevin!  It's very hard to scale walls and stuff due to what keys the game will recognize together, and left/up/jump never works while right/up/jump does.  Oddly enough this wasn't a problem on my old XPS laptop.

Not a big deal for a guy who is mainly revisiting the game to try to beat his old pinball scores (it's the best virtual pinball ever made).  But I still love the puzzles of Saira, so I'll probably take everyone's advices and change keys.

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 11:03:50 »
Jotty,

If you want to address this issue in a better way, remember that you can always hook up an external keyboard to your laptop. Big chances are that you can find a keyboard that doesn't have this problem.

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline jotty

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 06:51:58 »
Thanks LP, not a bad idea too.  Unfortunately, me and my family were involved in the Tennessee floods here in the US so not much survived (even additional keyboards, of which I had many).  Though I could sneak my dad's keyboard out when he's not home, it's probably just as good I will wait and revisit the game at a later time when we've become more "established".     C)

Offline Zelakon

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 02:21:55 »
Yeah, that keyboard issue can be a massive pain.  I've played some hugely hard platformers before, and just when I've got used to the controls there's an impossible situation because it assumes I can hold three buttons at once when my laptop refuses to allow such a thing.  I'm looking at YOU, up+left+Z!