Tantrum. Feel free to join.

• 52 Replies

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
Re: Tantrum. Feel free to join.
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2009, 15:55:53 »
I'm sure everyone likes the game. Even if they didn't, everyone should still be free to say whatever they want about it.

I haven't seen any flaming at all, nor any negative comments. I have seen some people say that the controls feel a little floaty compared to knytt stories, but I haven't seen anyone call them outright bad.

Criticism is to be expected when you release a game, so getting upset when you see the slightest bit of negativity in a post isn't going to do any good.
Relax.
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2009, 17:43:35 »
Whoop! I was planning to keep my reaction secret. Anyway, it probably have to do with that I worked approx. 11 hours per day for a while before the release and that I was exhausted and should have relaxed for a few days instead of reading blog comments.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2009, 17:50:39 »
Oh yeah... like everything you read on the internet is the truth! You know better Nifflas. C)

You should take all the positive comments as truth, see if all the negative one has valid points. If they have, learn from it and then ignore them.

Only if there were no positive comments, you should be worried. As I said earlier, you cannot please everyone. You never will. There always will be people who will frown upon you. Let that emotion be at their side, not on yours.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 17:53:16 by LPChip »
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Beomene

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2009, 18:33:58 »
Whoop! I was planning to keep my reaction secret. Anyway, it probably have to do with that I worked approx. 11 hours per day for a while before the release and that I was exhausted and should have relaxed for a few days instead of reading blog comments.

Sorry, perhaps I should've guessed you wanted me to keep quiet.
But damn, that phonecall the other day worried me to no end.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 18:41:47 by Beomene »

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2009, 19:18:20 »
I registered just to say that the game is awesome!

I've played through the demo twice, and I've just bought the game!
I'm going to finish it today if I can.

Anyways don't worry about what the losers who couldn't make a game if their life depended on it say.
It's a great game, and I think you should be proud.  :)

Offline .viR

• .r:-146[7]+
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2009, 20:30:24 »
I don't get where the negative comments are.
However really in the end it is about sales, and if they're bad then Nifflas has a problem.
I like it.

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2009, 22:10:53 »
However really in the end it is about sales, and if they're bad then Nifflas has a problem.
Not necessarily.  Everybody isn't in it for the money.  Judging from how generous Nifflas was with the length of the demo, I'd say that an important objective of his with Saira was to gain recognition.  But neither of us can speak for Nifflas.
(secretly hoping nobody will mention the object compendium)
My stars:   :hiddenstar:(Object Compendium):hiddenstar:(By PM)
Check out my Youtube channel for some terrible Let's Plays by a socially inept nerd!

Offline LimeLemon

• ¯\(°_o)/¯ i dunno lol
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2009, 22:44:17 »
Did this really fill the first page in under 12 hours?

Also, I want to join the others and say that Saira is indeed awesome! There will always be complaints, but you shouldn't be worried since I know all the forumers love you, and I have yet to see one that dislikes the game.
Don't listen to the whiners, listen to your heart! You know you are awesome.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 22:52:31 by LimeLemon »
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Backloggery (click to show/hide)

Offline Beomene

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2009, 23:03:07 »
Wow.
I am so grateful that you people take the time to convey this.
I mean, it's all true and it -should- be said,
but still it's not something I see very often,
you really are the best.

*read LimeLemonUrbanMonk
LPChipRazzormaninpheaux
LightningEaglesmeagle again*

Offline Candlelight

• "To light a candle is to cast a shadow..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2009, 00:21:14 »
Well, I have to say I've indeed read some negative comments, but it'd be a grave mistake to think they represent the world's opinion of the game. Some people have a rather amazing ability to notice the small flaws of a product, no matter how good it is overall; and that is greatly accentuated in the Internet, because many people only post when they have a problem. If a guy buys this game and is very much enjoying it, chances are he won't write about it in this forum. But, if that same guy has a small problem with, say, the game's key config, 99% of the time he'll come here and rant about it.

If you want an example, just check out WaDF's page on jayisgames: the game has a rating of 4.96 out of 5, but those who voted 5 (the vast majority) tend not to post... most of the comments come from people flaming small details of the game they didn't like, and morons that decide to bash the game 'cause they're bored.

I love Saira (the music, the scenery, the story and the puzzles fit perfecly to create something unique), but I realise now I've never mentioned it. So, let me say it clearly: Nifflas, YOU ARE A GENIUS. Knytt and KS were very good, WaDF was perfect, and so is this game.

(EDIT: It's somewhat incredible, but someone (see below) managed to interpret that last paragraph of mine as a disrespect for Nifflas. Jus' in case it needs clarifying, he got it all wrong...)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 20:16:59 by Candlelight »

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2009, 00:41:29 »
I find it really touching how hard Nifflas tries to please his fans.  For a person to have such a distinctive creative style that is all his own and somehow at the same time always think about what his fans would like most is an extremely rare combination.

As soon at I started this game, and there was Saira standing on Lomond, with the sound of the breeze blowing through those trees waving in the background, I thought, "Ahhhh... Nifflas has not let us down!  Another masterpiece!"  Seriously, I thought that as soon as I saw the first screen, before I even touched a key.  But the game only got better from there.  None of the aspects that make Nifflas's style so amazing are missing from this game.

I should even mention, at the risk of sounding like TOO big a fan, that in the couple of years I've been playing Nifflas's games I've actually looked at scenery and ambience in real life differently.  I'm not a visual artist, but just like a painter might see something and think, "How can I paint that?" I see beautiful scenes and think "How could I capture that in pixel art and put it in a Knytt Stories (or nor Saira) level?"  Is that crazy or what?

Nifflas, there are people who love your games!  Don't listen to random bloggers.  (There are too many people these days who are cynical about anything and everything and have nothing but petty, hateful things to say.  We must always do our best to ignore them.)

Offline .viR

• .r:-146[7]+
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2009, 01:02:57 »
Not necessarily.  Everybody isn't in it for the money.  Judging from how generous Nifflas was with the length of the demo, I'd say that an important objective of his with Saira was to gain recognition.  But neither of us can speak for Nifflas.

This is true, and what many artists in multiple media formats seek. However it sounds like Nifflas has given even more of his time to Saira than his previous (and mostly free) games. There comes a point where you deserve/need money for your time whether or not that's your outright desire.

I don't really know that much about Nifflas so I'm just making assumptions.

Actually in response to the puzzles I had difficulty with, I didn't have much trouble after I found the Device Solver, I don't know if other people forget about it. Maybe it was just a me being forgetful.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 01:08:00 by .viR »
I like it.

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2009, 01:57:23 »
Cheer him up? Well, I hope so too.

Calm down?
Yes, I will take any pill,
red or blue or purple.
Wait a minute, that might hurt my only weeks old child,
so I'll just go ahead lumbering around with this excess of emotion instead.

fine than take a chill mint. :P

anyways I agree and think that it is a great game! Even if you do have criticism (this game has button mapping problems, ect) take it in as constructive criticism and just fix it in the next version! If the comments are (this game sucks, I hate it, its the worst in the world!!!, ect) just ignore it! they do not have anything to back that up and they are just saying it just to be saying something. And remember nifflas, every game has things it can work on!!!! Yes, even the epic ones like cave story, ninja gaiden and Even TETRIS!!!! :) ;)

EDIT:

People, please understand that this is nifflas's first game that was sold, and we do not blame you at all. If I made the game, I would have done the same exact thing! (reading blog stuf and whatnot)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 02:02:19 by Mathexpert »

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2009, 05:26:20 »
I won't say that Saira's perfect and I definitely will not ever say any of Nifflas' games are flawless, because, honestly, I respect him a great deal more than that. It takes very little inspiration to make something that will collect an adamant (ie. stubborn) fan base, but for that fan base to see the flaws of a game and then express the same, if not more, devotion to what the person has made, then the creation is worth quite a bit more than the other. It's very difficult to have people recognize even small problems and have them not be deterred, and its very simple for people to block out the flaws of things they like to protect their opinions. This may not have been made very clear, but the point is that Nifflas has managed to do something that is nearly impossible, he has created something that makes it's fans say "yeah, that may be a problem, but in the grand scheme of things is that even a very important complaint?" Nifflas' games have created a fine and loyal fan base that not only will stick by him, but will also actually be able to defend him from flamers with more than a weak unsupported opinion.  ;)

And really? The main complaints I've seen were about the control set up, and haven't they already lost that ammo? (and I realize that most people had a legitimate complaint and weren't attacking Nifflas, but I like strong imagery) As for the sliding, there have been many a good game with the same problem but worse, and the problem wasn't mentioned that often for those games, so I guess it just shows that they have very little to complain about. And- don't complain that a game is challenging unless its on purpose, like "I Want to be the Guy"  :moody:

Oh! And more personally, I love Nifflas' games, he spends so much time and energy on them and honestly, it shows. His games are bug free when he releases them, I realize they don't begin that way  X) but that he takes so much time to six them is even more impressive. Most complaints are minor, or come from a persons lack of interest in the genera, almost never from Nifflas' negligence. And, I actually really look up to Nifflas  :oops: he's creative, but not in a destructive or loud kinda way (graffiti, which is sometimes quite pretty...) And, he shows a lot of integrity while on the INTERNET! That... that's just impressive

Offline karooble

• View Profile
    • My art -- I'm a pro and I take commissions!
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2009, 05:30:12 »
To sum up: We love you, Nifflas! Your games are great, and we can't wait to see what you'll come up with next.  <3