• 22 Replies

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
Re: Anyone feel like I do?
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2009, 05:29:32 »
I beat the whole game in 3 days. Then again, I have mad platforming skillz... 8)

I beat the whole game in like 4 hours. (The first time around.) 9_9

Also: I think it's important to note that Saira is the first explicitly human protagonist of a Nifflas game, so of course she can't climb like a Knytt or double-jump or whatever. (Though the flying bit doesn't really make sense, regardless of what she is.)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 05:31:13 by googoogjoob »
good bye

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2009, 07:24:48 »
I think that comparing Saira with KS is not really brilliant. KS is a different game, with different mechanics. Those complaining about the movement are probably too familiar with KS... I was as well, but Saira came in rather natural, and I found that I could climb rather fast jumping from wall to wall. The movement is not such a big obstacle like in KS, where a single pixel would make the lunatic levels make YOU insane. It's rather hard, but even the speedruns are well calculated!

Offline LightningEagle

• Who's the wacko, you say?
    • View Profile

Offline lamarblake

• ICU
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2009, 14:32:45 »
Update. After I started this thread last night, I made terrific progress not only in solving puzzles but with my finger/keyboard coordination. Example: In the demo on the planet (sorry can't remember the name) where there is a pool of booster in the bottom left and then a vertcal shaft that goes up an entire screen then a "fly" up the next screen to either the left or the right, I managed to make that on my third try and subsequently the next 3 times. Did it a couple of extra times just for training!

So thanks to my question and subsequent postings from y'all that spurred me on, I've decided that purchasing the entire game is in my best interests.  X-P

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2009, 16:08:23 »
To me the gameplay feels almost like Mirror's Edge in 2D. I think the lack of responsiveness people are experiencing can be attributed to the amount of air control and slower directional changes.  If you're used to knytt stories, air control and directional change are done on a hairpin, so to speak, so I can see how the change can be unsettling. I for one love Saira's gameplay just how it is, please don't change a thing.

As for the power-ups, I think the original Saira episode is fine without them.  For third party episodes however, I suppose anything is possible as long as it suits the gameplay.

- Inph

Offline Ax

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2009, 23:48:46 »
To me the gameplay feels almost like Mirror's Edge in 2D.

Yeah, I think that's a really apt comparison.

Offline karooble

• View Profile
    • My art -- I'm a pro and I take commissions!
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2009, 06:38:51 »
To me the gameplay feels almost like Mirror's Edge in 2D.

Thirded. I think there's a really parkour-y feeling in Saira. Momentum is crucial, and once you build up speed, you can go really fast. I enjoyed both Saira and Knytt Stories tremendously, but they do have very different "feelings." Still, compared to many popular recent platformers, I think Saira feels much more responsive and natural (I'm looking at you, An Untitled Story!  :moody:).

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2009, 07:28:28 »
I think Saira feels parkoury because Saira is deliberately more human than, for example, Juni, who can change directions in midair and climb sheer walls.
good bye