Anyone feel like I do?

• 22 Replies

Offline lamarblake

• ICU
    • View Profile
Anyone feel like I do?
« on: December 16, 2009, 00:31:41 »
Ok. I've been putting this off but I'd like to know if anyone else playing Saira feels the same way I do. First of all the graphics are so beautiful. No complaints what so ever there. Second of all the controls are very intuitive and can be figured out in just minutes (or less depending on how good you are). Thirdly, the story is very good.

Now comes the bad part and I really hate to be the first person here, or so it seems, that has a negative comment so let me preface that with stating that the problem is most assuredly entirely mine.

What I really, really find irritating is the mechanics of making Saira move. Every time I've started the demo I get so frustrated at trying to make her move, climb or fly that I can only play for about 10 minutes before I quit. Running out of air on the one planet where she's in a space suit or running out of booster before trying to make a special jump makes me want to pull my hair out. lol

So, until I master her or my skills, I'm sorry to say I won't be buying the full version. I'm not giving up but...well...there it is.

Give me some powerups!  C)p

Offline LightningEagle

• Who's the wacko, you say?
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone feel like I do?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 00:40:52 »
I guess I can send you an editted .ini file which will prolong your time, if that'll help you?  :P2

But... I guess, I know what you mean... to some extend at least. I have the same problem when trying to get to those hard-to-get-to-but-not-really-important places. But in general it hasn't really been a problem when talking progressing the story.  :/

Sure I ran out of air on the intoxicated planet, but only 2 or 3 times.

Offline karooble

• View Profile
    • My art -- I'm a pro and I take commissions!
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 00:41:31 »
I don't really have a problem making Saira move, but I can definitely second the desire for Knytt Stories-style powerups! That was so much of what made Knytt Stories fun; it would be amazing to implement something similar here, if it's possible at all. :D

Offline lamarblake

• ICU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 00:45:05 »

Thanks for the offer lightening eagle but not so sure I want to mess around with the files. I'm not totally literate when it comes to changing stuff like that. My luck I'd mess it up.

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

I guess I can send you an editted .ini file which will prolong your time, if that'll help you?  :P2

But... I guess, I know what you mean... to some extend at least. I have the same problem when trying to get to those hard-to-get-to-but-not-really-important places. But in general it hasn't really been a problem when talking progressing the story.  :/

Sure I ran out of air on the intoxicated planet, but only 2 or 3 times.

Offline LightningEagle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 00:48:25 »

Offline lamarblake

• ICU
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 00:50:13 »
Ok, thanks for that. I had been in that area and did try to make it from there but I'll fall back on my original post and blame it on user error.

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 00:51:41 »
I don't really have a problem making Saira move, but I can definitely second the desire for Knytt Stories-style powerups! That was so much of what made Knytt Stories fun; it would be amazing to implement something similar here, if it's possible at all. :D
Hmm, I haven't really looked to much at the level editor, but wouldn't it be possible to put something like that in your level?

Offline smeagle

• Using Arch now
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 00:53:25 »
at first i agreed, but then i got used to it!

Offline LightningEagle

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 00:55:05 »
Hmm, I haven't really looked to much at the level editor, but wouldn't it be possible to put something like that in your level?

I've yet to find a sign of that being possible. It is however possible to play with the physics.
To each planet you can assign different maximum velocity, running acceleration, movement freedom in air, gravitational force and a whole lot more...

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 01:00:05 »
I don't have any problem making her move.  In fact, in some ways this game reminds me of a certain style of game that I have found very frustrating in other cases (for example, Prince of Persia Sands of Time [I haven't played the others but they're probably like this too]) where you have to control the character pretty precisely while making it do a serious of difficult maneuvers (often within a time limit, including wall jumping, etc.), and if you fail, you have to do the whole thing all over again.  Except the difference in this case is that somehow I never got frustrated, it stayed fun no matter how many times I had to try something before finally doing it successfully.  I think the reason Saira isn't frustrating to me like other games have been is that one the main reason PoP drove me crazy was that the character was hard to control, but in Saira's case I didn't feel that way at all.

Offline lamarblake

• ICU
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 01:06:34 »
POP! Of course, just within the past few minutes I managed to make the jump that had been driving me nutz!  Onward....

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 01:32:56 »
at first i agreed, but then i got used to it!

basically this, yeah. at first her movement feels very restricting and kinda stiff compared to knytt stories, but then i got the hang of it and realised it's not supposed to be like knytt stories, it's more of a realistic-type platformer. i think you just need to adjust, that's all.

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 03:50:29 »
I think basic controls are rather simple. Sure Saira is not as responsive as Knytt/Knytt Stories, but it doesn't take much to get used to basic movements. However I find the parts with the "fly" power up, checkpoint run, toxic planet (basically most parts that have a time limit, where you have to move FAST) rather frustrating.

Fly power-up lasts for very short time, so you have no time to slow down and carefully avoid the obstacles. But if you fly at max speed - you have very little time to change the course to not bump into walls and avoid disabling fly mode. It would be much easier if you flew a little slower, but had a little more time. Or maybe have no time limit at all and have movement limit instead.

Toxic planet wasn't too bad, but still I think it could use less harsh time limits.

Checkpoint run too was somewhat frustrating. I barely made it on the 2nd try and I'm really glad that I did. I couldn't take another 2.5 minutes of running around like crazy and possibly failing again.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 04:09:59 by L[one]R »

Offline The stickman

• Lol wut?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 03:58:10 »
I beat the whole game in 3 days. Then again, I have mad platforming skillz... 8)

I guess I can send you an editted .ini file which will prolong your time, if that'll help you?  :P2
You can edit the .ini to change the physics? Like Knytt?

My Stars::hiddenstar::hiddenstar:
The blood of the innocent will flow without end, it's Zorc - That's me! - it's Zorc and pals!

Offline Ax

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2009, 04:42:42 »
Weird...I've found the movement to be incredibly well done.  It's fluid and has a fantastic sense of momentum.  Usually I play platform games and find myself wishing that the designer spent some time playing Mario, because Mario games tend to have fantastic control and player movement.  But Saira I think hits it right on the head, in fact I think she moves even better than Mario does in New Super Mario Bros Wii.

The fluid motion reminds me a lot of the Prince of Persia games, especially when she's climbing and jumping from wall to wall.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 04:45:53 by Ax »