youtube - using 3D photo backgrounds

• 4 Replies
youtube - using 3D photo backgrounds
« on: December 15, 2009, 06:50:32 »
A world still in progress that revolves around using invisible blocks over a photo background.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MandrakeSauvignon#p/a/u/0/G_A1ofUgIEk

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
Re: youtube - using 3D photo backgrounds
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 07:06:58 »
Hmm.  It's one of those things I feel like saying "bad idea" at, but you are managing to do a pretty good job pulling it off.  My only concern is, from a player's standpoint, how can they tell which structures in the map (any map) are ground they can stand on?
(secretly hoping nobody will mention the object compendium)
My stars:   :hiddenstar:(Object Compendium):hiddenstar:(By PM)
Check out my Youtube channel for some terrible Let's Plays by a socially inept nerd!

Offline smeagle

• Using Arch now
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 07:08:58 »
I agree with exp HP (experience harry potter?  XD)
Also this has been done before(?)
you could try to get some ideas from other ones.

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 07:38:26 »
Exp HP, most of that will be automatic, you just hold left or right, and the invisible floors will do the rest.  Though I have already added some other ways of getting around, like a cave you can jump into, and it shifts you to another screen, but there's a little sign below the cave letting you know to jump into it. 

The few stuff that is there to kill you, I warn about, like "poison water ahead", but... anyway,
It actually works better than you'd think, once you start playing it.
I'll post a version in the level archive soon and you'll see what I mean.

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 21:08:38 »
One of the big problems I can see is scaling; in the picture of the snowy town you used, Juni looked almost as big as a house, given her position in the picture.  This could probably be solved by moving her closer to the frame of the screen (lower in the picture).