It is slow.

• 4 Replies
It is slow.
« on: December 14, 2009, 06:23:34 »
That was my first impression: Is it normal that my Saira looks like she's floating or sliding or screeching to a halt all the time? It's slow. Sometimes frustratingly. It's a shame that such a simple (that is by no means to say unsubstantial; simplicity is one of the beauties of Nifflas games) game should be so SLOW! if only on my computer. At first the game was causing me too much stress to be enjoyable, but now I can bear it most of the time. (Sometimes I fantasized that it was the respective gravity of the planets that affects Saira's speed.) I just really wish I could feel the excitement of racing against the clock when the timer goes off, and I just can't feel that when really .1 seconds is closer to a second than a second is. I've tried cutting the CPU/memory usage and all, but it seems to have no effect. Still, it's probably my computer's fault than the game's, but I wanted to get the word out there and see if there are any suggestions for solutions or anything.

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
Re: It is slow.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 06:31:41 »
You're not the first to mention.

I think Nifflas implemented a little speed optimization for liquids in v1.1, but for the most part the slowdown is still there and there isn't much that can be done about it.

I have a 2 month old laptop with 3GB of ram, and I still get some big slowdown in parts.  It isn't severe enough that I can't play, but it's noticeable.
(secretly hoping nobody will mention the object compendium)
My stars:   :hiddenstar:(Object Compendium):hiddenstar:(By PM)
Check out my Youtube channel for some terrible Let's Plays by a socially inept nerd!

Offline LightningEagle

• Who's the wacko, you say?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 09:22:49 »
Have you tried running it in full screen?

That did the trick, for me at least and my computer is getting near the ending of its 6th year. :)

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 11:15:40 »
I wish I could do something about it, but I think it's pretty much optimized for a Multimedia Fusion 2 game, and it seems to run quite differently depending on computer. Mine is a 2GHz dual core HP laptop with an ATI Radeon X1350 graphics card and it's completely smooth here.

Offline LightningEagle

• Who's the wacko, you say?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 12:42:53 »
My AMD Athlon 64 3700+ (note: single core and very old) and ...
GeForce 8600GTS (should be 3 years old soon) ...

runs smooth too. Most of the time.

That did the trick, for me at least and my computer is getting near the ending of its 6th year. :)

Okay... not all the hardware, but pretty much. My audio card is even older. Probably 9 years old.
This computer is pretty much scrap. But it works decently. :)
(as long as I'm not trying out anything like... Modern Warfare 2 or Assassins Creed or Crysis or Heroes of Newerth or League of Legends or... just about anything interesting (apart from Nifflas' games))

EDIT: but maybe we could do a edited edition of the episode, where we remove all lite effects which could grab some computing power. For instance the grass particles on Lomond. My computer freaks out when I increase those, so probably we could archive better smoothness by running an edition without particles like that?  :huh:
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 12:46:36 by LightningEagle »