Converting mod/mid to mp3

• 10 Replies

Offline TheoX

• Lost in retro.
    • View Profile
Converting mod/mid to mp3
« on: March 09, 2009, 21:38:31 »
Does anyone know of a free program to batch convert .mod or .mid files to mp3?  The only programs I can find have annoying restrictions like only converting 2/3 of the song, and they cost $40.00, which is ridiculous.  Right now, for .mod I'm using ModPlug Tracker, which crashes after every individual conversion, and for .mid I'm using a program which can only convert 5 files at a time.  Slightly pathetic.

I'm hoping someone can point me towards an efficient program.  :huh:

EDIT: I don't mind if a program's restriction only involves annoying popups.  I'm fine with anything that doesn't restrict the number of songs or length of songs.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 21:58:40 by TheoX »
Miscellany:
My Website
My Chiptune Music
Currently: Having fun at college.

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
Re: Converting mod/mid to mp3
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 22:04:34 »
I've converted .mod files to MP3 with ModPlug and it hasn't crashed.  Whaa?

For .mid, try Anvil Studio; it can save as WAV, which is easy to convert to MP3.

Offline TheoX

• Lost in retro.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 22:23:40 »
Thanks, I'm trying to figure out Anvil Studio right now.  How do you import multiple songs?
Miscellany:
My Website
My Chiptune Music

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 23:02:39 »
dBpoweramp can convert from MIDI to whatever, with the relevant codec. (And is free.) (Of course, it uses the default soundfont dealy.)

As for MOD files, there are other trackers that you could find to convert to MP3. In my experience, ModPlug crashes after exporting anything to MP3, for no reason at all.
good bye

Offline chipset

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 23:50:25 »
What I've done in the past is use ModPlug to export my files into .wav format. I then use a program like Audacity or dBpoweramp to convert my file into .mp3 or other formats.

Perhaps you could see if exporting to .wav works in ModPlug, instead of the .mp3 export?
:hiddenstar: - thanks AClockworkLemon!

Offline TheoX

• Lost in retro.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 00:20:21 »
I suppose I could try that, considering I do have a wav-mp3 converter.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'll try dbPowerAmp.
Miscellany:
My Website
My Chiptune Music

Offline HaPK

• Ex Casual Mod
    • View Profile
    • Twisto Creative
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 02:28:28 »
You can also use XMPlay to convert "anything" into .WAV .MP3 or .OGG with the right codecs, and the right customization, of course... there's info and instructions on the support site, here :O
Achievements for now...
[achvmnt]VkVSMDKAw7AAS8DCgKLDgYCAwADCgQA[/achvmnt]

Offline TheoX

• Lost in retro.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 05:30:39 »
I tried that already, and followed the walkthrough (already had the LAME codec installed).  However when I try to save as mp3 it gives me an error starting with "Can't start encoder" along with some other gibberish.  Any idea what the problem could be?
Miscellany:
My Website
My Chiptune Music

Offline J

• Information leaking
  • I have a chicken on my head.
    • View Profile
    • Greywool
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 11:47:04 »
I've always found it the easiest to just use WAV output on XMPlay and then use oggdropXPd or lamedropXPd to encode it. :)
"flipping around like an idiot" -- Paula

Offline TheoX

• Lost in retro.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 12:36:32 »
Ok, thanks J, I'll get those codecs if I have any more trouble.  In the meantime, I found out that MPTracker doesn't crash for me when I export .wav files, so now I can do that and then mass convert to mp3. :)

If you're wondering, the only reason I go to so much trouble to convert music to mp3 is because I want to listen to it on my mp3 player.   I've got lots of obscure tunes on that thing. :P2
Miscellany:
My Website
My Chiptune Music

Offline HaPK

• Ex Casual Mod
    • View Profile
    • Twisto Creative
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 14:47:17 »
I tried that already, and followed the walkthrough (already had the LAME codec installed).  However when I try to save as mp3 it gives me an error starting with "Can't start encoder" along with some other gibberish.  Any idea what the problem could be?

Be sure that the lame.dll and lame.exe (or any other codec) are on the same folder as XMPlay, also be sure to write the files on an existing folder on your disk, XMPlay can't create new folders (and that's one of the few problems I've ever had...). The default settings should be fine, it will create high-quality VBR MP3 files! C)p
Achievements for now...
[achvmnt]VkVSMDKAw7AAS8DCgKLDgYCAwADCgQA[/achvmnt]