The Morbid Mill, College Project

• 6 Replies

Offline DustinCartwright

• Independant Game Designer and Life-Long Gamer
    • View Profile
    • MobyGames Profile
The Morbid Mill, College Project
« on: December 12, 2009, 16:21:16 »
Hey there, I'm Dustin and I'm a student at the International Academy of Design and Technology undergoing a B.A. Degree in Video Game Designer, I have 4 years pervious experience in the field working at Amaze Entertainment as Production Intern

We were assigned in Game101 to create a small game using the Knytt Stories level editor and I wish to make the most out of this engine. We were assigned two other team members. There is Ian, Thomas, and I.

I wish to get this concept out in the open in case anyone had any suggestions or comments, possibly tilesets or unique codes or scripts I can alter or modify to wow the audience and instructor, I really wish to make an impression

Any help at all is greatly apperiated from fellow game designers  :^^:

Here is a summary of the entire story I have thus far, subject to change...

A factory deep in the forbidden forest arruptly shut down close to the nearby town of Morbid, the parents would not tell why, the Elders pretended not to know, but Juni - a curious and foolish young girl - sneaks out of her parent's house in the dead of the night to find out for herself.

Venturing through the forbidden forest, avoiding several creatures of darkness as well as a shadowing ghost that seems to know her, she stumbles and falls down a long shaft overgrown in the forest finding herself deep within the factory.

As she transverses through the factory, she realizes what has happened here as the factory has been overran with strange demonic beings of unknown origin which has possessed the robotics. Eventually, she finds an escape leading back into the forbidden forest to see these demonic creatures has been released! She hurries back to Morbid

Arriving at her hometown she finds it it flames and under attack by the demonic creatures, avoiding them and certain death, she reaches her home to find her family killed... she moves on to find a boat at the end of town by the water where surviving towns people are making an escape, she hops in as the towns people wonder where she had been.

They reach new land in the nearby city as they go to warn the Mayor of the pending threat. Juni realizes she must go back herself and stop the invasion herself by re-entering the factory and finding means to destory it.

Taking an alternate approach, she travels by sea to find an underground cavern dug deep within a mountain which resides directly under a wing of the factory where supplies were secretly recieved. She finds an entrance there and proceeds underground to find the factory's generator. Using parts found in the cave, she manages to turn it back on again -- giving electricty to the factory once more. She over powers the generator intentionally and makes haste out of the cave and back to sea. Soon after, the factory explodes in a firey shockwave as the entire forest is flatten, her old town blown away, and the factory shattered to pieces, killing all the demonic creatures that reside there.

She returns to see the aftermath, and meets once more with the shadowy figure that follows her, the ghost thanks her for freeing her from a curse that plagued her, that she (the ghost) was responsible for the outbreak... she explains her story... thanks Juni once more for her bravery, and fades into the wind.

Juni returns to the city and to her people, starting a new life among them as a writer, writing a novel based off her experiences at Morbid, the Forbidden Forest, and the long forgotten Mill of Mobid.

Thoughts or comments please, we are also looking for anyone willing to create a small intro-animation if someone has free time and is great with Flash. You will of course be duely credited for your work and will be the first to get a link to it's download  :P

Any other help is greatly apperiated, thank you for reading
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 09:04:28 by DustinCartwright »

Re: The Morbid Mill, College Project
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 16:51:51 »
Sounds interesting, and I do like story-based KS levels! I'd like to clarify a few things, though:

• What's the flash animation for? You know you can't use flash in KS levels right? I suppose you could render it and convert each frame into a monster CO strip...
  • Also, although you're welcome to call her anything you like, and many do, the main character's name is usually thought to be Juni; Knytt is the species. (I think. I may be wrong. It doesn't really matter anyways.)

Anyway, I look forward to playing this! (Assuming it will be publicly released?)

Offline DustinCartwright

• View Profile
    • MobyGames Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 18:42:51 »
Juni, yes, maybe you are right

Well, I wasn't sure how exactly to make the animated cut scenes though I had a general idea, but I see what you mean now... but the "animations" are for intro, ending, and half-way point story telling

And of course, Ian, Thomas and I plan to openly and freely release this to anyone wishing to play once we are finished and get an A+ grade hands down  ;)

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 01:59:22 »
You've been assigned to use KS in a game design class? I like that. I like that a lot. :D

If you want to make animated cutscenes, you can use COs that are the same size as the game screen, using Juni (placed behind them and prevented from moving) as a timer to allow them to work uninterrupted and then allow the player to continue playing. There's already a topic that can give you more information about that effect, I believe.

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 02:05:40 »
We were assigned in Game101 to create a small game using the Knytt Stories level editor and I wish to make the most out of this engine. We were assigned two other team members. There is Ian, Thomas, and I.
:awsum:

Anyway, small gripe: put the level type in brackets, like this:
[Challenge, Lunatic] The Morbid Mill (College Project)
That is, IF it's a challenge, and if it's at the lunatic level. ;)
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline DustinCartwright

• View Profile
    • MobyGames Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 05:11:11 »
I'll put the game type in brackets  8)
It is a challenge, but I'd say it's at Hard to Very Hard, we will make a Easy verison of it though for less serious gamers (that's what the teacher wants anyway)

I've see other student's level designers and I have to admit, some are well done, but they lack a lot of the creative elements such as cut scenes and custom code that make the engine great to use... I plan to show them what's up and how to make stuff happen  X)

Once I'm finished with a playable demo prehaps I can post that as a sample resource where I can get some reviews; the project isn't due until Feburary so we got time to make it awesome

Offline smeagle

• Using Arch now
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 02:40:51 »
Do you have to make all the graphics as well or can you use graphics/music from other people?