About save files.

• 5 Replies

Offline LimeLemon

• ¯\(°_o)/¯ i dunno lol
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
About save files.
« on: December 13, 2009, 15:43:45 »
So. When you download Saira you can choose installer or zip. I chose installer cuz I'm lazy. But then I realised it was the non-portbale version, but decided to play through the demo anyway.
Now I absolutely want the portable version. How should I do? I think I read somewhere that the uninstaller leaves the savefiles alone, so I can maybe just uninstall it and download the zip version to the same directory? Or do I have to move the savefile to some place? And where is it? Or is this impossible and I have to start over?
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Backloggery (click to show/hide)

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
Re: About save files.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 15:47:49 »
Unzip the portable version wherever. Copy your save file from the installed version's folder into the portable version's folder. Then uninstall the installed version and maybe move the portable version, whatever you want etc.

(This is assuming the uninstall removes save files. Even if it doesn't it's safest to do it like this because of the chance that it might.)
good bye

Offline PONTO

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 15:50:16 »
I'm not sure the save files reside on the installation folder, when using the non-portable version. I can't recall where they are, though... :S

Offline LightningEagle

• Who's the wacko, you say?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 16:28:32 »
Save files found:

C:\Documents and Settings\*username*\Application Data\Nifflas\Saira

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 17:18:13 »
Yeah, the non-portable build just stick to the set Windows standards about where to store files, so they may appear at different places depending on the OS version.

In the game folder there's a "Saira.ini" file in which you can modify to enable or disable the portable mode, if the value is set to 1 the game will write the save data to it's own applicaion folder. The reason for the two different modes is that one is designed to work with all the Windows standards, where savegames are tied to user accounts and DEP doesn't warn about the game. The portable version can not work as an installer since the new versions of Windows doesn't allow programs to write to protected paths such as Program Files.

Don't get me wrong, this is AWESOME. Or I'd rather say, Mac OS and Linux have worked like this since ages ago, which is why those systems have been more or less free from viruses, so it's about time that Microsoft finally introduced this (10 years later than everyone else) so their operating systems is no longer completely exposed from attacks from malicious software, and in the future I will build my games to offer both a portable and non-portable versions so that everyone use what they prefer.

Offline LimeLemon

• ¯\(°_o)/¯ i dunno lol
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 17:29:56 »
So, I copied the save files and uninstalled Saira, then downloaded the zip. Then I started up the game, and noticed a new map was created. The save game map. So I just replaced those files with my previous ones (which I didn't have to copy before uninstalling btw, the uninstaller leaves them alone). And it works!
Thanks to everyone! And... wait what did Nifflas say? Just change Saira.ini? *facepalm* Thanks Nifflas, but you were a tad bit too late. When you had posted, I had already already uninstalled and begun the download a couple of minutes earlier.
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Backloggery (click to show/hide)