[Challenge/Misc] Boot Stamping On A Knytt Face Forever (New Team Member 6/30/09)

• 228 Replies
Re: [Challenge] Boot Stamping On A Knytt Face Forever
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2009, 23:13:10 »
This sounds mega awesome JC
Woo!!! cheering you on buddy  C)p

Offline JC Grim the 'crete reaper

• I might be sick, broken, torn to pieces...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2009, 21:58:51 »
Alright, I need some opinions.

I was trying to think of a way I could show paths that lead off on a different directions into the background, but I didn't ant it to look bland, crude, and overall impractical. After some thought I remembered the use of backgrounds in a couple of farik's levels, mainly "Deserter Life" and "The Hunt".

I highly enjoyed how scenic they looked, and the complete look of depth in the levels.
This would also solved my visible path problem, so I took a shot at it and made what I have here. The only problems that I have is how they look.

First, I want to know what people think of the use of my grass. (I'm not going into detail, because if it really matters to anyone, it will be noticed.)

Secondly, I want to know what people think about the background I have made. Now, as for the way it looks, the higher up the hillside you climb the more background will disappear. Vice Versa, the farther down you climb the more background you will see.

Do note, this isn't the finished product. This is a beta view so I can get an idea of whats working and what isn't before I move forward with what I have done so far.

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.

- George Orwell

Offline Kasran

• TRANSFENESTRATIVE EGRESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2009, 22:13:56 »
Cool. :D

I think it looks good.
grao!

Offline farik

• let's make some $
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2009, 22:19:56 »
you'll probably want to have the path that is branching off into the background not meet up flush with the path in the foreground. what i mean is, stagger the background path to the left or right of the foreground path a tile or so. Also, the horizon is maybe a bit too high. this makes the path look like it goes up instead of back. maybe try lowering the horizon a bit? the effect with the trees on the background is cool too, but if you have the trail narrowing as it approaches the horizon, you'll want to have the trees do the same thing as well. that might do a better job of creating the illusion of a horizon. try that, and if it doesn't work, maybe i'll screw around with some ideas?

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2009, 22:44:59 »
Cool. :D

I think it looks good.

Thanks.
 C)

you'll probably want to have the path that is branching off into the background not meet up flush with the path in the foreground. what i mean is, stagger the background path to the left or right of the foreground path a tile or so. Also, the horizon is maybe a bit too high. this makes the path look like it goes up instead of back. maybe try lowering the horizon a bit? the effect with the trees on the background is cool too, but if you have the trail narrowing as it approaches the horizon, you'll want to have the trees do the same thing as well. that might do a better job of creating the illusion of a horizon. try that, and if it doesn't work, maybe i'll screw around with some ideas?

The horizon doesn't set at a specific height. It varies by what screen on the X-axis you are on. The higher up the hillside you go the lower the horizon gets, the smaller the path size gets, and eventually the horizon disappears.

I do agree about staggering the path.

The trees were briefly made just to get an idea, and I figured I would have to make the trees get progressively smaller, angle the tree lines, and alter the color a little to correct the blending that starts in the darkening of the background.

Also, farik, I need to know if you want that spot on the beta testers.
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.

- George Orwell

Offline Emeraldfire7

• LoZ FTW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2009, 22:51:02 »
something you should do is create a tileset that would be used to create the background "hill things" (<-- bad grammer XD) so that you dont have to re-use the background gradients (i would expect to see more than 256 screens :P2)

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2009, 23:10:39 »
something you should do is create a tileset that would be used to create the background "hill things" (<-- bad grammer XD) so that you dont have to re-use the background gradients (i would expect to see more than 256 screens :P2)

The background you see is part of the tileset.
The gradient is actually just blue fading to yellow.
;)

- George Orwell

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2009, 00:23:50 »
Heh, I did something like that in a tileset that I recenly made. (Also, it's my first tileset ever! :O)

Also, this is the first time I've released it to the public. :3

EDIT: If you wanna use it, go ahead.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 01:23:08 by Pumpkinbot »
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline farik

• let's make some $
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2009, 03:25:21 »
jc* i didn't even know i was offered(?) a spot, so im sorry if i forgot to respond to you, im forgetful these days. anyways i would really like to beta test. i'll do my best to help. :)

edit: awhile back, did you request a tileset? i can't remember now that the old forum is gone. like i said i forget things.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 03:28:31 by farik »

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2009, 19:15:48 »
Lol. It's alright, I added you to the list just now.

And yes, I did ask for a tileset, it was the building interior tileset (Which I still need, ;)) for some of the houses.
You said you had tests and whatnot, then never made it.
XD

Heh, I did something like that in a tileset that I recenly made. (Also, it's my first tileset ever! :O)

Also, this is the first time I've released it to the public. :3

EDIT: If you wanna use it, go ahead.

It looks very Mario Sixty-four-ish.
It's a good tileset, but the overall use doesn't fit the level in this part of the level. :(

- George Orwell

Offline Shawnachu

• Contemplating
    • View Profile
Re: [Challenge] Boot Stamping On A Knytt Face Forever (New, 3/18/09)
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2009, 20:26:56 »
It does say "Loosely based on SM64" at the bottom right.  :P2

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2009, 20:30:56 »
It does say "Loosely based on SM64" at the bottom right.  :P2

I indeed noticed that.
I just really don't have much use in this particular level for SM64.

- George Orwell

Offline farik

• let's make some $
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2009, 20:51:14 »
i'll get on that tileset...sometime... i remember there was a list or something of what you needed. pm me maybe with all the stuff you wanted and hopefully i can cook something up this time.

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2009, 20:58:28 »
i'll get on that tileset...sometime... i remember there was a list or something of what you needed. pm me maybe with all the stuff you wanted and hopefully i can cook something up this time.

Alright, I really don't remember what interior stuff I was asking for... lol
I'll have to walk around the house first, lol. Let me get back with you on that.

- George Orwell

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2009, 09:10:32 »
Alright, I really need some opinions again, how do the trees look?
I set the forest up twice, one with a road running through it, one without.

I'm not sure if I should go down this road or not. I think the background kinda seems like a lot of work... How do you guys feel about the background? Like, overall graphically wise, do you think it would be a better level with the background, or is it not necessary? I like how it looks, but at the same time, I also like the normal foreground with gradient...

- George Orwell