What exactly is the issue people are having with including tilesets in levels?

• 5 Replies

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
I don't want to make and submit a crappy test level to KnyttLevels.com just so I can see what the problem is myself, so I'm going to ask those of you who have been affected by it.

Judging from several topics, it seems that an author can easily make the mistake of not including Tilesets in a .knytt.bin file.  And just recently, an author said KnyttLevels.com rejected the file when he added tilesets to the level.  I'm puzzled at all of this, because if tilesets aren't automatically included when you Compress, then I can't imagine what extra steps would need to be taken so that the tilesets are included.

I'd really like to know what's going on when somebody submits a level missing tilesets, so my questions are:
What sort of mistake results in a .knytt.bin file missing tilesets?
What must the author do in order to include them?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 15:56:28 by Exp HP »
(secretly hoping nobody will mention the object compendium)
My stars:   :hiddenstar:(Object Compendium):hiddenstar:(By PM)
Check out my Youtube channel for some terrible Let's Plays by a socially inept nerd!

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
You need to make sure that you place the tilesets in your level's folder, not in the data folder of the game. Once done, you can make the knytt.bin file and it will work.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
I'm surprised to hear people put custom media in the Data folder in the first place.  By doing that, not only do their levels not work on other copies of KS, but they also break any downloaded levels that uses the tilesets they replaced.

Why would people do that?   Well, okay, I guess it's not fair to assume that everybody understands the scope of the Data folder.  It seems obvious to me, though...
Check out my Youtube channel for some terrible Let's Plays by a socially inept nerd!

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
You need to make sure that you place the tilesets in your level's folder, not in the data folder of the game. Once done, you can make the knytt.bin file and it will work.
True, but that wasn't the question Mr.Chip. The question was "why is knyttlevels.com rejecting levels with custom data in them?"

Knyttlevels has been doing this for a good while now, probably all the way from the start. I don't know if anyone found a way around it, but I don't think so.
Anyways, I'm sure it won't do that anymore when the new V.2 is released.
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
For the record, LPChip did answer my question. I did not ask why KnyttLevels rejects custom content (partly because I wasn't sure if this problem affected a lot of people or if it was just ID10T errors).  My question(s), which were stated at the bottom of my post, were answered by LPChip, and he can't be denied credit for that.

That isn't to say I wouldn't like to know why KnyttLevels rejects some levels (especially now that I'm aware that it happens frequently).
So I know ask officially:  Why does KnyttLevels reject levels?

[offtopic]
Boy, my matter-of-fact way of speaking can at times make my posts look a little too [insert adjective that means pretentious, wordy, and excessively formal].  (EDIT: I believe the word I'm looking for is Frasier-esque.)
[/offtopic]
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 20:43:41 by Exp HP »

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
What, but I read it an I... wait.
I must have skipped something the first time I read your post. Sorry. :oops:
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D