Can You Edit Ambiance Loops

• 5 Replies

Offline crossproduct

• Legendary Guy
    • View Profile
Can You Edit Ambiance Loops
« on: December 07, 2009, 06:29:57 »
I searched the forums, but since there's so much stuff about Ambiances and looping, I couldn't find an answer to my question.

What I'd like to know is if it's possible for Knytt Stories to play an Ambi file and then loop it back to a point other than 0:00.00? I want to have a song play an intro before a loop, as music plays in most video games.
The Shyguy sprite is from Yoshi's Island. The sword and shield are from The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. Both are ©Nintendo.

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
Re: Can You Edit Ambiance Loops
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 06:38:32 »
A way to change how KS plays music files and define regions and repeat?

No luck, sonny.  It's either that the full song loops (ambiance) or that the full song plays once (song).

You have some options, though, the two most clear choices being to:
  • Have no intro
  • Make the "end" lead back into the intro
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 06:41:09 by Exp HP »
(secretly hoping nobody will mention the object compendium)
My stars:   :hiddenstar:(Object Compendium):hiddenstar:(By PM)
Check out my Youtube channel for some terrible Let's Plays by a socially inept nerd!

Offline crossproduct

• Legendary Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 04:35:26 »
Thank's for the info. A few times I tried playing a song, then shifting to another room with the Ambiance, but of course, it's not smooth...

Off-Topic: There seem to be a number of Earthbound fans on this forum.
The Shyguy sprite is from Yoshi's Island. The sword and shield are from The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. Both are ©Nintendo.

Offline Wanderer

• He deserved it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 12:22:24 »
I have an idea, though I haven't used KS in a while, so I don't know if it will work.

Play a "song" file that is only the intro, then when that's finished start looping the ambiance.

Hopefully I could help.
"I wander to many places, but I quest to few."

YOUTUBE: http://www.youtube.com/user/CreepyThumb

I leave and come back, kinda like a ghost. Hmm...

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 12:47:03 »
It isn't possible to achieve this. Looping indeed always goes to the start position, and switching between songs just can't be made seamless. Even if you'd play the intro as music, and the rest as ambient, keeping the first part blank, you would still have the blank in your loop.

Switching rooms is even less reliable, because the loadtime of a room varies between pc's. Getting it right on yours will not guarantee that it'll be good on another pc even. In fact, running the game from external media will already have a different loading times for rooms.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline crossproduct

• Legendary Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 22:39:41 »
Yeah, that's been my experience. I got the music timed right, but it was off on when I took the game off full-screen mode. Also, it was way off on my friend's computer which is much faster than mine.