[Long] [Lunatic] Insane (Updated)

• 9 Replies
[Long] [Lunatic] Insane (Updated)
« on: December 05, 2009, 11:25:45 »
I introduce the workings of my current game.(And probably last on 'making something as hard as I can.)

Insane.

The concept is simple enough, get to the end of the game. If only a thousand things weren't trying to stop you...

Also, unlike most games where you will pick up an item and be able to keep it, this game gives items to you for certain obstacles, and will take them away as well. This is done by using the item flags, and a helpful bar shown on the upper left of the screen showing what powerups are available when you enter a new 'section' of the game.
(The tileset background of the items probably need a serious makeover though.)

Little will be left untouched, if it's an almost impossible obstacle, it will probably be thrown in here, with only a powerup or two at your disposal to finish it.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 09:30:52 by Mystery_Wolf »

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
Re: [Long] [Lunatic] Insane (Working title)
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 23:58:32 »
...screenshot 3 looks like slowdown central.  Are you sure it's a good idea to have more than one Explode object on a screen?

NINJA EDIT!: Oh wait, those aren't Explode objects.  The bullets are purple.
(secretly hoping nobody will mention the object compendium)
My stars:   :hiddenstar:(Object Compendium):hiddenstar:(By PM)
Check out my Youtube channel for some terrible Let's Plays by a socially inept nerd!

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 22:36:58 »
...screenshot 3 looks like slowdown central.  Are you sure it's a good idea to have more than one Explode object on a screen?

NINJA EDIT!: Oh wait, those aren't Explode objects.  The bullets are purple.
I've tested it a few times and it doesn't lag for me.
And yep those aren't explode objects, those are bullets.

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 23:29:54 »
You're unlikely to get actual lag in KS with anything, except perhaps a ludicrously high-filesize custom object.  Ever noticed how if there are four projectile-firing enemies in a room, they'll fire the same number of projectiles as a single enemy would?  That doesn't happen because of a bizarre bug or anything; it was added intentionally to make it so that the people who put hundreds of those enemies in a room don't cause slowdown.
Of course, limits like that are only in place for the enemies that produce a relatively large amount of objects in the first place.  With Explode objects, you could fill all four object layers with them and probably only have slight lag, if any at all.

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 02:19:54 »
Explode creates an absurdly high number of bullets (don't quote me on this, but I think it has enough for 12 loops of 12 volleys, or, in other words, 144 volleys of 3-5 bullets each.  I'll need to find out where I saw those numbers, though...), and that amount produces INCREDIBLE lag.

However, while this many are produced by a single Explode object, with one Explode object you will never have this many on-screen at the same time, because some bullets die prematurely, and others leave the edges of the screen.  But when you add more Explode objects, you increase the rate at which bullets are produced, and thus the bullet limit is actually approached.

At two Explodes, I get a slight, almost negligible lag.  At three explodes, I get noticeable lag.  At four, it slows down more.

When I have 9 Explosion objects, the speed eventually slows to its slowest possible (if you wait for enough bullets to appear), where it will take a whopping 5 seconds per frame.  At about 75 Explosion objects (3 horizontal rows), it starts at that speed (not counting the first frame, before the bullets appear).
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 02:29:33 by Exp HP »
(secretly hoping nobody will mention the object compendium)
My stars:   :hiddenstar:(Object Compendium):hiddenstar:(By PM)
Check out my Youtube channel for some terrible Let's Plays by a socially inept nerd!

Offline Emeraldfire7

• LoZ FTW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 07:06:22 »
I've noticed explosion lag when making boss battles, and i get noticeable lag at about 3 explosion objects, and at five it almost freezes for me XD (crappy computer is all :P2) im sure you could probably crash ks if you put the whole screen explosion objects on all four layers >) and i'd try it but im afraid my computer would crash too lol

anyways back on topic, the level looks surprisingly good... and hard, that first screenie looks extremely hard :shocked: with the switch behind the balloon shooty thingy and the sparkly thinger maker XD this is one i probably will not play X-P

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 18:38:15 »
I've noticed explosion lag when making boss battles, and i get noticeable lag at about 3 explosion objects, and at five it almost freezes for me XD (crappy computer is all :P2) im sure you could probably crash ks if you put the whole screen explosion objects on all four layers >) and i'd try it but im afraid my computer would crash too lol

anyways back on topic, the level looks surprisingly good... and hard, that first screenie looks extremely hard :shocked: with the switch behind the balloon shooty thingy and the sparkly thinger maker XD this is one i probably will not play X-P
Indeed I'm no longer pulling punches the way I normally did, that screen alone killed me a good 20 times before I actually managed to clear it. (The bottom was really easy compared to the top.)
My computer is fairly old but still on that one particular screen you're only going to see a total of 3-4 bullets like that, any more will pretty much kill you if not lag, with all those things going towards you.

Offline Emeraldfire7

• LoZ FTW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 23:24:18 »
one thing i have to tell you though, when making a lunatic level... DON'T MAKE PARTS EASIER!! if you can't get past the screen then make it just passable, you want the level to be just-possible! if anything make screens harder X)

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 06:52:20 »
one thing i have to tell you though, when making a lunatic level... DON'T MAKE PARTS EASIER!! if you can't get past the screen then make it just passable, you want the level to be just-possible! if anything make screens harder X)
Indeed I am doing just that. If an obstacle is too easy I pause and go "How can I make this harder without making it impossible?" In some cases it looks impossible but it was accomplished.

Re: [Long] [Lunatic] Insane (Updated)
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010, 09:33:19 »
I know you missed my Hiatus. Long story short, I get bored easily.

Insane, has gotten more work on it! I may end up releasing a beta shortly to get some feedback on the current obstacles at hand.

I've even added another game! "The easiest game ever" in it! Two games in one!

Progression: About 40% done. 55 screens with 50 acti