What does 'wat' stands for?

• 51 Replies

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
Re: What does 'wat' stands for?
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2009, 15:49:27 »
I agree. Like you wouldn't be offended if someone would say "what?" but then "wat" Oh that is so bad it's is so offending and people that say it is stupid. If you don't like internet then leave.
If someone made an entire post that only said "What?" and used posts like that just like the posts we've been complaining about, I'd be annoyed at it too.

That's what I am saying. Wat is not rude at all but how you use the word. But the same thing goes with all words. So this topic has driffed far, from being a question to be quite the debate. I think that we all have different views on things and we can't agree with the others all the time. What I see is that many wants the forums to be as nice as possible and to keep it, I want that to!
But we can't just say that what we think is rude is since there is no such thing as a round Circe, wait, that is irrelevant. But I mean is that it's not just black and white so we can't just go ahead and say that some things are worse then what they really are. We don't need alot of rules to keep the forum nice and we can't just do and don't.

Edit: oh ninjad by LPChip.
LPChip, I wouln't care, just as I said ^. The words have same meaning. Perhaps start looking at things from the inside and not outside?

Offline LimeLemon

• ¯\(°_o)/¯ i dunno lol
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2009, 16:09:02 »
wat
You people have no sense of humor. AND GO SALMON!
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Backloggery (click to show/hide)

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2009, 16:24:41 »
Salmoneous, its not just a matter of accepting that people are different. Its about the thoughts from every side. People here for unknown reasons don't understand why I can be against it. I want to express this so people can learn that I feel this way.

Secondly I'm still looking into how much people are disturbed by this. It seems that enough people are disturbed by the meaningless of a single worded post, so if we're going to do something about this, it'll be on that matter.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2009, 19:22:07 »
Secondly I'm still looking into how much people are disturbed by this. It seems that enough people are disturbed by the meaningless of a single worded post, so if we're going to do something about this, it'll be on that matter.

Why? There is already a rule about not being rude. As I see it, there is no need to clarify it with several rules against specific kinds of rudeness.

Besides, its been pretty clear so far that most people are only offended if you make a single word post as a response to something serious, and I agree with them. Serious posts with effort put into them should not be ridiculed.
However, I'm completely fine with it if it is a response to something that is already a joke. I don't see any problem with joking about jokes.
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline D Fast

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2009, 20:31:52 »
Oh dear jesus tapdancing christ... This is internet. Furthermore this is a forum. Even furthermore people browsing this forum are most likely:

A) Participating more or less actively in the discussions and thus having a certain amount of knowledge over online forums in general and the people involved in the discussions at this particular forum.
B) Not registered but have been observing this board for a short or a longer time, but they also have been around the internet a few times and know how things are in most of the forums out there.

Getting offended by a single word such as "wat" is just the beginning to something more or less drastic. People are different for sure, but the web being as old as it is and online forums being as old as they are people should by now have a clear undestanding that there are a lot of young people browsing these forums, thus you simply can't be offended by all the little (and pointless) stuff people blargh out of their fingers, mostly because it's uncalled for.

Seriously, getting offended by such a ridiculous little internet meme'ish thing and also calling the usage of the word disrespectful towards others... it's year 2009, it's the internet, there are young people participating here and all the older ones should by now have a grip of the oh-so-common-in-forums internet language. Yes, I'm more or less telling to get used to it, whether you like it or not. It'll be easier if you go with it, because it's not going to vanish anywhere. It might get outdated at some point like "lol" or "rofl", but nevertheless.

It's most definitely not ok to type random nonsense nonstop, making probable interesting posts difficult or at least really annoying to read through and in the end most likely leaving you with no desire to take part in such a random topic.

If someone was writing the holy book of the internet laws, using the word "wat" in forum posts described earlier in this thread would most likely be allowed. Same goes for "+1" and all the alike.

No offense or such LPChip and others, this is just how I feel about this certain word and the amount of hassle it creates in some people. I'd guess a steady 99% of the people posting stuff on the internet are rude in one way or another, but I honestly don't think people want to be mean towards others intentionally. Smiley icons are here to help us not to get misunderstood, but people tend to abuse those as well so it's better not to stress over it.

I've also come to the conclusion that whoever makes the biggest "funny" in the internet WINS. Or at least if that's the case, people sure are trying their best (=worst) to win.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 20:35:56 by D Fast »

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2009, 20:49:53 »
Yeah. This is the internet. One word posts are inevitable, and the word "wat" isn't going out of style.
It is just a word, and is no more offensive than any other word. You can't ban the use of neither words themselves, or put a limit on how few we can use in a post.
What you can do, is to make sure nobody uses it in a rude way, but aren't you already doing that?

Slightly off topic, but am I the only one here who feels that this is a freedom of speech issue? :P2
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2009, 21:36:38 »
After 4 pages, I have a fair idea of what people think when seeing such post. Although I still think that the way "wat" posts are being used is basically saying: I ignore you, it seems that people find that acceptable. For that reason, I won't add a rule to prevent posts with "wat" in them.

I do like to conclude what I see though: People generally are against posts without a meaning, which can happen if a "wat" post is being made on a normal post.

So I hereby would kindly ask to look try and not post "wat" posts if they don't have to. Also, try use your internet skills to make normal posts with at least some words. 90% of the posts this topic is talking about could have more words. Really.

And finally, if people make "wat" posts as replies to posts I made, I will ignore them. If you don't understand a post of mine, then please add what you don't understand, so I can enlighten that part of my post. If you think that ignoring means that I won't read your "wat" posts, and thus can spam them wherever possible, no. If I see that you "spam" using "wat" posts you are still breaking the rules, and that most likely gets your posts deleted and at some point get you a ban. (but that always was the case).
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex