What does 'wat' stands for?

• 51 Replies

Offline The stickman

• Lol wut?
    • View Profile
Re: What does 'wat' stands for?
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2009, 02:52:38 »
I don't see how speaking in Internet lingo could be offensive...
You know, I always wondered why this forum is so grammatically correct, and maybe it's because everyone's afraid of LPchip! :whoa:

Yeah, probably not.

My Stars::hiddenstar::hiddenstar:
The blood of the innocent will flow without end, it's Zorc - That's me! - it's Zorc and pals!

Offline Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2009, 03:43:39 »
maybe it's because everyone's afraid of LPchip!

I am :|

but I thank this forum for helping me with my grammar! :D

Offline The stickman

• Lol wut?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2009, 03:54:12 »
maybe it's because everyone's afraid of LPchip!

I am :|

but I thank this forum for helping me with my grammar! :D
[grammarnazi] RAWRRRRR! 'BUT' SHOULD BE CAPITALIZED! [/grammarnazi]

I'm sorry Evil, I couldn't resist. It's an OCD thing. :oops: Please forgive me.

The blood of the innocent will flow without end, it's Zorc - That's me! - it's Zorc and pals!

Offline Budja

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2009, 08:58:49 »
Exp HP is right here IMO.
A bit of a mountain out of molehill.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2009, 12:24:23 »
Please don't get me wrong here.

I'm not against the use of the word 'wat', as it is part of Internet lingo. I'm against filling an entire post with this word. Feels really disrespectful to me.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2009, 14:23:15 »
In reply to now deleted post(s):

That right there is a perfect example of something that would earn a "wut" from me.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 16:14:01 by Miss Paula »

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2009, 14:48:45 »
I use "wut" for when someone says something extremely bizarre and/or stupid. In my mind, it constitutes something like "...WHAT." I don't consider it an abbreviation, as long as the person using it uses it for specific purposes and speaks normally otherwise. However, people who use "wat" or "wut" all the time instead of using "what" when it's normal to use annoy me.
I agree with this post completely.
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline J

• Information leaking
  • I have a chicken on my head.
    • View Profile
    • Greywool
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2009, 18:56:19 »
I don't see it as offensive. Just as a "Post for the sake of posting", with no intention or attempt to add anything to the thread in question. Doesn't matter if it's "lol", "wat", "..." or just "ASDRKJSKALDJSAIOFJZSIDFJSDFKLGSDFL?GKSDFG?SDFJLK", it's in a word: pointless.

For example, as it was said that it could be seen as questioning the content of previous post. Let's say that the post itself was longer than the intended reply (wat), it might address more than one thing. Just a 'wat' has NO indication toward what part of the message was questioned. Could be that the poster didn't understand some words in the post (this is how I usually read it), if one of the subjects mentioned in the post was completely off the rails or if the user's just hard of hearing. Just plain attention-seeking pointlessness if you ask me.
"flipping around like an idiot" -- Paula

Offline The stickman

• Lol wut?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2009, 23:43:21 »
You mean like a 'bump'? :D

Offline PONTO

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2009, 00:09:14 »
I don't have anything against the "wat" posts in particular, as I dislike a broader kind of posts which seem to have been made just for the sake of posting. I'm talking about posts with just a smiley or just saying "LOL" or "I agree" without providing further arguments or anything relevant to add to the topic. I also don't like to read posts in which the poster is deliberately careless about writing in proper English. Posts are, for me, supposed to have some thought and time put into them, as opposed to what is said a chatroom.

However, when I say that I "don't like" that kind of posts, I don't mean they are disrespectful or offensive nor that they should be forbidden or that this "code of conduct" should be enforced in any way other than by setting a good example.

I do understand LPChip's point, though, about people who might have put some effort into their posts and then get a reply like that. There are certainly instances in which such replies may sound harsh and everyone should be careful not to be misinterpreted, as in a forum, unlike in live conversations, no one can tell if you are kidding by looking at your face.

Offline LimeLemon

• ¯\(°_o)/¯ i dunno lol
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2009, 02:06:18 »
Please don't get me wrong here.

I'm not against the use of the word 'wat', as it is part of Internet lingo. I'm against filling an entire post with this word. Feels really disrespectful to me.
Care to explain why it's disrespectful? Because I really don't understand that. Even though I can see why you think just saying wat in a post is kinda stupid.
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Backloggery (click to show/hide)

Offline TheoX

• Lost in retro.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2009, 17:07:39 »
It seems like there's been 3 points discussed here.

1. Posts with just 'wat' are useless (which I agree with).

2. Posts with 'wat' in them as part of a larger body of text should be tolerated (which I also agree with).

3. Posts with just 'wat' are disrespectful - this one should be brought into greater detail, LPChip.  They do bother me too, but not for the same reason.  Could you explain why you think it's disrespectful? (I'm not saying I agree or disagree, I just want elucidation)

Oh, as a side note, I'd like to bar the word "awesmoe" from our forum vocabulary.  People are spelling it wrong on purpose, and it's annoying to look at.
Miscellany:
My Website
My Chiptune Music
Currently: Having fun at college.

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2009, 19:35:34 »
Oh, as a side note, I'd like to bar the word "awesmoe" from our forum vocabulary.  People are spelling it wrong on purpose, and it's annoying to look at.
Wha-wha-WHAT?  :shocked:
(secretly hoping nobody will mention the object compendium)
My stars:   :hiddenstar:(Object Compendium):hiddenstar:(By PM)
Check out my Youtube channel for some terrible Let's Plays by a socially inept nerd!

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2009, 19:42:50 »
It's not so much annoying to look at, as it doesn't feel quite right when you say it aloud. (For me at least)
Lurk more.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2009, 23:11:58 »
When you put some time into making a post, it can always happen that someone is not understanding what you say. This is normal. When someone then just says:

wat

I find this very disrespectful as the wat poster didn't took time to make such post. When I see this, I think: if the wat poster did not took the time to write that post, the wat poster probably didn't even took the time to read the original post and thus doesn't understand it in the first place. Next to that, a wat post is wasting forumspace which I think is just an act of being careless. Someone that is not caring, is imho not respecting others which is disrespectful.

I hope this is making sense. If not, please just tell me what you don't understand. I will for obvious reasons ignore a wat post.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex