Program for Animating pixel art

• 10 Replies

Offline Emeraldfire7

• LoZ FTW!
    • View Profile
Program for Animating pixel art
« on: November 27, 2009, 08:36:59 »
I remember long ago when i was in a tech class and we fooled around with corel rave (an animating program) it was old but still very fun, I decided to look it up and found out i'd have to buy it plus it works with vector graphics which are horrible for pixel art (and down right IMPOSSIBLE) :/ and i was wondering if anyone knows of any good freeware .gif animating programs, preferaly something that works in frames and allows support for pixel art, like KS's custom objects but able to export to .gif XD

I'm sure theres a program somewhere but i can't seem to find a good one thats also free.

Thanks in advanced :)

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: Program for Animating pixel art
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 09:05:52 »
Jasc animation shop 3 could do that. Dunno if thats still around though...
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 16:55:46 »
For an administrator, LPChip sure does a crappy job of reading posts.

and i was wondering if anyone knows of any good freeware .gif animating programs
but i can't seem to find a good one thats also free.

I can only think of one thing, though: use GIMP and take advantage of its ability to save layers as frames of a GIF animation.  Although you can do pretty much anything with this, GIMP wasn't really designed for animating; things will be a bit tedious with all the switching between layers.

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 17:29:53 »
http://ftp.jasc.com/pub/en/ani311en.exe

This one is supposed to be free and no trial either. I haven't confirmed it as I'm at work now and just can't install software.

So: As a member, you're doing a bad job in making accusations! You might want to read the Official Forum Rules again, as I felt offended by your post.

EDIT: As I'm now home, I downloaded and installed the software from above link. Its indeed free ;) Apparently Coral never bought it from Jasc when they bought Jasc, and they offered it for free now.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 19:52:00 by LPChip »

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Emeraldfire7

• LoZ FTW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 21:26:10 »
:D thanks LPchip that program is perfect :P2 im on it right now, thanks alot :D

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 01:05:55 »
EDIT: As I'm now home, I downloaded and installed the software from above link. Its indeed free ;) Apparently Coral never bought it from Jasc when they bought Jasc, and they offered it for free now.

Ah.  It wasn't free back in ~2004, you see.  Sorry about any confusion.

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 04:50:58 »
I'd like to use this, but I need assurance that it's legal. I tried looking at the EULA for hints, but it was pretty ambiguous; frankly, this very same EULA could be used verbatim for any Jasc software (and probably is).  However, nowhere does it have the word "free" on it, and in my experience, freeware usually does (like, for example, before a clause against attempting to sell the Software for personal gain).

Since the license isn't helping to reassure me, I need to see the link in context. Where did you find this download link, LP?

EDIT: Animation Shop 3 is sold on Corel's website for a price of $19.00.
It seems to me that Corel most certainly did buy the rights to Animation Shop.
Whatever proof you provide of its free-ness will have to be really good proof.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 05:37:28 by Exp HP »
(secretly hoping nobody will mention the object compendium)
My stars:   :hiddenstar:(Object Compendium):hiddenstar:(By PM)
Check out my Youtube channel for some terrible Let's Plays by a socially inept nerd!

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 21:47:26 »
I retract my retraction of my statement, then.

Offline Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 05:27:25 »
unfreeze program was good :)

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 20:16:13 »
I googled to see if the program still existed as I couldn't find it on the corel site myself. I found a link of someone who said that it was free using that link.

When I install that link, I get no question for serial number whatsoever. Even more strange is, that it doesn't say anything about unregistered in the help either. The only conclusion I can think of is, that the Jasc version is not the same as the Corel version, and that these are 2 different products. More interestingly is that the link provided above has a releasedate of march 2004. This information comes back when I press help->About.

Do note that the link above is to Jasc Animation Shop 3.11, not Corel Animation Shop 3.

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 20:35:25 »
Hmm.  I would've thought that Corel would buy exclusive rights to Animation Shop.  It seems odd that Jasc would still be allowed to distribute even just legacy versions of the software.

But you are right.  Though Corel has an Animation Shop product, it very well may be considered in legal terms to be separate from what you are linking to.  And if that is the case, then it's fair game.
There's little evidence to the contrary.

But let me tell you something:  I got Jasc Animation Shop 3 when Jasc was still around (it came with PSP8), and I never had to register it.  It's possible that Animation Shop didn't use product keys or anything like that.  But I don't think it was free; they just bundled it with PSP to "sweeten the deal." I still think Jasc did sell Animation Shop as a separate product for those who wanted.

Personally, I look at this situation as a complete legal gray area.  I'll use it anyways, though. Besides, I feel like I have a right to, since I used to have the software before Win7.

Heh.  I'm still trying to find a screenshot of Corel Animation Shop that actually says Corel in the titlebar.  They all say "Jasc Animation Shop".

EDIT:
Do note that the link above is to Jasc Animation Shop 3.11, not Corel Animation Shop 3.
Wait. I just realized that the box on Corel's page says "Jasc Animation Shop 3."
In other words, what they're selling IS Jasc's product.  Ay caramba!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 20:57:20 by Exp HP »
(secretly hoping nobody will mention the object compendium)
My stars:   :hiddenstar:(Object Compendium):hiddenstar:(By PM)
Check out my Youtube channel for some terrible Let's Plays by a socially inept nerd!