Magazine/newspaper/media recommendations?

• 35 Replies

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
Magazine/newspaper/media recommendations?
« on: November 29, 2009, 01:09:13 »
We're writing a press release for Saira to help us get the news about the the game out as much as possible. We're going to try to through some friends translate the press release to a bunch of different languages. While we're doing this we are also trying to get together a list of different newspapers, game related TV shows, game related magazines, and other related medias that we should send the press release to, in hope that they will like the game and write about it.

What I need to know is which newspapers / magazines / gaming websites that you know about. We're by the way not going to turn this into an email spam campaign, we'll of course contact them the appropriate way. I appreciate all the help I can get to spread the game, but please be aware that it can be bad for my reputation if it's posted on many forums or mailed to private blog owners if people will see it as spam, so it got to be done right and with common sense.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 14:10:55 by Nifflas »

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
Re: Magazine/newspaper/media recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 01:23:58 »
For magazines, make sure to get Game Informer. The Escapist is the only gaming website I can think of, but I don't visit many. XD

Offline .viR

• .r:-146[7]+
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 02:45:32 »
Digg, IGN, jayisgames, indigames.com
Digg post would be most successful when people can play the demo. Needs aprox.150 diggs.

I'll post it on Facepunch when it's released.
I imagine the large demo will help alot in sales.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 02:50:00 by .viR »
I like it.

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 03:43:51 »
Well your games are already known and well received by Jay is Games, and I know that, personally, I check by there more than any other game site out there, so if I'm any indication they get pretty good traffic. Oh and plus, I'm pretty sure it's free, which may not be much different from other sites, but it's a point to keep in mind  :^^:

Offline smeagle

• Using Arch now
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 04:28:35 »
a tv show?
howzabout good game!
its only in australia though, but im sure they wil review it!
I would soo watch it.  8D

Offline rrc2soft

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 12:56:26 »
As for Spanish gameblogs, http://www.anaitgames.com/ are literally crazy about your work, so they will welcome a press release with open hands  ;) . Another place you can try is www.meristation.com. Eurogamer has a Spanish counterpart, and a physical magazine with plenty of history is Micromania

(BTW, someone should modify your wikipedia page once the press release is out  ;) )

PD: Contact address for anait is pistas [at] anaitgames.com, and for meristation the only thing I can find is a web form. For eurogamer.es, the contact address is redaccion [at] eurogamer.es, and for micromania, the contact address is elbuzon [at] micromania.es.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 12:09:38 by rrc2soft »

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 13:18:55 »
Thanks for all the suggestions! Please keep telling me about more you can think of, remember that we'll have localized press releases for different languages (although the game itself is only in English).

Offline SiamJai

• View Profile
    • A gaming blog like no other.
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 14:23:51 »
I will gladly translate the press release to Thai and Hungarian, but finding quality game sites on either of these languages will be much more challenging.  X)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 14:29:31 by SiamJai »

Offline PONTO

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 15:26:23 »
I will gladly translate the press release to Thai and Hungarian, but finding quality game sites on either of these languages will be much more challenging.  X)
Yeah, same thing for Portugal. :S

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 15:29:52 »
That'd be awesome! With the help of a friend who works for a newspaper and knows how to write one I'm going to get the press release done early next week, then get it translated to as many languages as possible. Any suggestions where to send it, or even if you recommend it to your local medias is greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 15:32:37 by Nifflas »

Offline PONTO

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 16:17:49 »
There is this Portuguese gaming magazine you may be interested in. It's called BGamer.

Website (in Portuguese): http://www.bgamer.pt/

As I said before, I can make the Portuguese translation, if you're interested. :)

Offline Joho The Hobo

• Joho The Ex-Hobo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 17:30:32 »
I can only think of Bytejacker: http://www.bytejacker.com/
Which is an online series about gaming and indie-gaming in particular.

Also The Escapist, which has been mentioned.

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2009, 18:30:34 »
A big and famous dutch news-site that has a gaming section is http://nu.nl.

You can email them using redactie@nu.nl.

I can help translating it to dutch if required, though they be okay with an english text that they'll translate themselves. They will only work as a "news" spreader, not advertising or previews or anything, but this is news isn't it? :)
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline dvit

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2009, 18:39:23 »
If you can get an Italian translation there's http://www.indievault.it/ and maybe http://www.jeuxactu.com/
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 19:53:20 by dvit »