Is this *really* normal difficulty?

• 7 Replies

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
Is this *really* normal difficulty?
« on: November 27, 2009, 04:07:21 »
I'm trying to play Chezzy's "Kavez", the difficulty of which is given as "normal" - yet for the past I-don't-know-how-many-weeks I've been failing to do a jump that seems to be necessary at this point. Usually I cheat rather than try and fail for weeks to do the same jump again and again, but there's something about this jump that says to me, "c'mon, you *should* be able to do this!" So I try. And try again. And again. And again. I've actually managed it twice (in, at a guess, a couple hundred tries or so), but since the next save point comes only after another deadly trap I've never actually reached the next savepoint before dying again, and being sent back to the one before the Jump From Hell. ARRGH!!!

Okay. Here's what powerups I have: run, climb, high-jump.

See attached image for the jump I can't seem to manage.

Re: Is this *really* normal difficulty?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 05:26:15 »
By the fact that you don't have red key, I can deduce there are at least two paths you didn't try. Did it ever occur to you to go left?
Lurk more.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 14:49:30 »
Oh, I do have the red key. I just didn't count that as a powerup - and it wouldn't help with the jump, either.

I *think* I went left. But I've been stuck at this point for so long that maybe I should try that again.

So... does that mean I should be able to find the double-jump powerup before I try that jump?

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 16:04:58 »
You don't even have to do that jump. You should got to the caves to the left, and get the double jump and the yellow key there.
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline RunMan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 17:20:52 »
This jump isn't that hard. Try to complete some jumping levels, and you won't have troubles like this anymore (I recommend As I closed my eyes and Jumps-Whoops-Proof)

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 20:59:31 »
Jumps-Whoops-Proof
Great level. A bit on the hard side, though.
Lurk more.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 01:02:18 »
This jump isn't that hard. Try to complete some jumping levels,

Hmm. Are jumping levels a better way to learn a specific jump than actually trying to *do* that jump? Because I *have* been trying that jump, on and off, several hundred times, over the past several weeks. (And even managed it, twice, but always died before I could reach the next save point.)

@Razzorman: Okay, I'll try to go left again. Seems there was something I missed/forgot about there.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 01:19:04 »
Okay, now I've tried and gone left, and now I remember why I thought that the "way out" couldn't be to the left: I explored the mountain and discovered that on every level there was some obstacle that didn't seem surmountable with my current powerups; the only one that seemed vaguely possible was that bloody jump. I didn't check the mountain on the other end of the map for caves, though... silly me.