[Environmental] The Mysterious Grotto (IT'S DONE :U)

• 118 Replies

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
Please! I'm desperate! If I don't have any ideas by 8:00 (Pacific Standard Time) today, I'm abandoning all 200 screens of it.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 03:29:02 by Pumpkinbot »
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline JC Grim the 'crete reaper

• I might be sick, broken, torn to pieces...
    • View Profile
Re: [Environmental] The Mysterious Grotto (Soon to be abandoned?)
« Reply #91 on: April 07, 2009, 04:00:48 »
No need to abandon it!

What about.... a grand canyon?
It could branch off from Cydonia and be a deep, near vertical descent on both sides of the Canyon, with a deserty area in between. 
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.

- George Orwell

Offline farik

• let's make some $
    • View Profile
Please! I'm desperate! If I don't have any ideas by 8:00 (Pacific Standard Time) today, I'm abandoning all 200 screens of it.

just release it. what do you need more ideas for, betcha its chock full of 'em already :)

« Reply #93 on: April 07, 2009, 04:41:46 »
2 music/abience for 21 screens?! :O
Lurk more.

Offline Pumpkinbot

• View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #94 on: April 07, 2009, 06:02:01 »
@ JC Grim: I guess. :/
@ Farik: I need it to be a little bigger because of my...secrets. ;)
@ Purple: Yes. The music I had earlier was huge in filesize, so I deleted all but two and decreased bitsize for those two. I need a lot more music. And there's a LOT more than 21 screens! X)

Offline JC Grim the 'crete reaper

• I might be sick, broken, torn to pieces...
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 07, 2009, 06:54:21 »
@ JC Grim: I guess. :/

Sorry it wasn't better.
I'm having an off day, and can't seem to pull anything good out... =(
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.

- George Orwell

And there's a LOT more than 21 screens! X)
I forgot the 3. X)
Lurk more.

Offline oebchen

• View Profile
Oh no, please don't abandon it! :sad:

Ideas... let's see... Well, seeing how you seem to be a music lover, how about a music shop where Juni has to run around between giant guitars and other instruments? (You could solve that mostly with a gradient consisting of a photo of these instruments, you wouldn't even need a tileset for that, or a very stripped-down tileset at the most.) Or you could have her play music on a piano keyboard (making each key one tile wide and putting shifts on each one which teleport her to a copy of the screen with the respective key pressed down and the respective note playing - you'd have to put a lot of tracks which are only one note long into your music folder, but that shouldn't be a problem, should it?). Maybe you could even put a Guitar Hero section in, who knows? XD (Although I wouldn't know how to do that...) You could also let her flip through a CD/record collection and decide what to play on a jukebox or something like that (also very shift-heavy, but you would copy and paste screens most of the time; the only problem there could be your choice of music since chances are that the songs you first think of are copyrighted).

Another idea - you could let her watch TV and suddenly get zapped into the show she is watching - there, too, you couldn't use a popular show as it is. You'd have to alter it a little so it becomes something different and still remains recognisable. Or you could just very generally go with one genre of film she is watching - a western might be appropriate for the Cydonia section, for example. This might also be an interesting concept for a frame story, if you haven't got one already.

Sorry if these ideas appear a little strange, but I can't think straight right now, and this is the best I've come up with after a little brainstorming C)p

Edit: Or how about a spider web on layer 3 (in an attic maybe)? I can't recall this having been done before, and conveniently, we already have a full-blown spider in the data folder :)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 14:45:26 by oebchen »

Offline utherdoul

• View Profile
Another idea - you could let her watch TV and suddenly get zapped into the show she is watching
TRON! A TRON tileset wouldn't be too much work at all...

At any rate, this definitely shouldn't be abandoned. A release (or beta release) would be better than just giving up on it - and it might inspire us all to give you more / better ideas.

Offline oebchen

• View Profile
TRON! A TRON tileset wouldn't be too much work at all...
I must admit I don't know that one - maybe it's an English-speaking countries-only (or -mainly) thing... But that doesn't matter! :D

Perhaps Juni could also be caught up in a kitchen and have to fight her way through different kinds of food, such as crawling through cheese holes (COs in front of Juni!), swimming through soup or a bowl of cornflakes or eating her way through a cake - after that you could temporarily take the run powerup from her because she's too full to run XD
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 14:58:02 by oebchen »

Re: [Environmental] The Mysterious Grotto (Tilesets and ideas, please.)
« Reply #100 on: April 07, 2009, 15:00:12 »
Don't give up!! Here, I made a gradient just for you:

Offline utherdoul

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 07, 2009, 15:50:49 »
I must admit I don't know that one - maybe it's an English-speaking countries-only (or -mainly) thing... But that doesn't matter! :D
Well, being zapped into the TV reminded me of TRON - a film where a hacker gets sucked into a computer. Not really the same...

Offline oebchen

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 07, 2009, 16:56:51 »
Well, being zapped into the TV reminded me of TRON - a film where a hacker gets sucked into a computer. Not really the same...
Okay :) I only know Freakazoid, who basically does the same ;)

Don't give up!! Here, I made a gradient just for you:
What a sweet idea! It inspired me to start with the piano gradient, if you're interested, of course. In my opinion, it has turned out a little too plain, and it's only the piano keyboard because somehow I don't really feel up to drawing the rest of it...  Maybe someone else feels he/she can manage it... :oops: Hope I could help at least a little... :)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 17:35:11 by oebchen »

Offline Pumpkinbot

• View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #103 on: April 07, 2009, 21:58:44 »
X) Thanks, everyone! But I don't think I'll end up making a giant music shop because there's no good tilesets like that (and I don't have an .ogg of each note). But I was thinking about having a WaDF level where Juni gets zapped into the computer and goes into Within a Deep Forest.exe. :shifty: And I might use the special gradient, I just don't know how. :P

EDIT: Okay, the level's DONE! But I need music. A lot of music. Help?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 03:46:14 by Pumpkinbot »

Offline Feline Monstrosity

• Pussy cat, pussy cat..
    • View Profile
I may be able to help - I'm a dab hand at garageband. What sort of music are you looking for?
"In the world there is nothing more submissive and weak than water. Yet for attacking that which is hard and strong nothing can surpass it. "  ~Lao Tzu