[Environmental] The Mysterious Grotto (IT'S DONE :U)

• 118 Replies

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
This level is getting better and better! I'm really looking forward to when you finally release it! :) As for houses, or tilesets in general, I don't know how good I am at drawing them, but I've just done a saloon (heavily inspired by this picture: http://www.kolpingjugend-peissenberg.de/Reports/Images/saloon.gif), and if I can help in any way (be it good or bad, or just with one single saloon ;)), I'll try because I'd hate to see this project abandoned! :) So, well, have a look at the attachment...
...:O That's amazing! But, unfortunately, I can't use it because I told Purple Pineapple he could do it. :( But it seriously looks a-freakin'-mazing. :D

EDIT: You can probably make a tileset yourself. Just make sure to put transparency in. It's either pure black (RGB 0,0,0) or magenta (RGB 255,0,255)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 16:46:01 by Pumpkinbot »
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline oebchen

• View Profile
This level is getting better and better! I'm really looking forward to when you finally release it! :) As for houses, or tilesets in general, I don't know how good I am at drawing them, but I've just done a saloon (heavily inspired by this picture: http://www.kolpingjugend-peissenberg.de/Reports/Images/saloon.gif), and if I can help in any way (be it good or bad, or just with one single saloon ;)), I'll try because I'd hate to see this project abandoned! :) So, well, have a look at the attachment...
...:O That's amazing! But, unfortunately, I can't use it because I told Purple Pineapple he could do it. :( But it seriously looks a-freakin'-mazing. :D

EDIT: You can probably make a tileset yourself. Just make sure to put transparency in. It's either pure black (RGB 0,0,0) or magenta (RGB 255,0,255)
C)p That's okay! I just took this as a sort of inspiration to draw something - at first, I didn't even draw it with the primary intention of uploading it so no bad feelings there ;) I also realise that strictly speaking, it's not even isometrically correct - just have a close look at the planks (is that the right word?) on the floor in front of the windows; but I suppose that's a general problem when trying to introduce perspective into pixel art... But it's not as evident now as it is at 800% zoom, I can tell you... :P If you like it anyway (I'd be honoured if you did), I would be okay with Purple Pineapple integrating it into his/her tileset (if he/she is okay with that too); I wouldn't even insist on being credited, just feel free to use it any way you like ;)

I could also make a tileset if you want me to, just tell me what kind of tileset you'd need - but it would be my first real tileset so you shouldn't rely on me alone X-P And I ought to warn you that I'd only be able to work rather slowly because I have to move in April and there's so much to do for university... But if I can shorten the waiting time for the level a little by contributing something (even if it would just be an unfinished tileset) that would be nice :)

By the way, I use GIMP, which has "real" transparency - would you be able to work with that as well? (In fact, I think I used pure black for the borders of my saloon - I could paint them over with (1,1,1) though.)

Offline Kasran

• TRANSFENESTRATIVE EGRESS
    • View Profile
Not to speak for the 'Bot here, but alpha-channel transparency should be even better. XD
Pure black and magenta are usually used as workarounds in programs like MS Paint that have no transparency tools.
grao!

Offline oebchen

• View Profile

Offline Pumpkinbot

• View Profile
    • My DeviantART page

C)p That's okay! I just took this as a sort of inspiration to draw something - at first, I didn't even draw it with the primary intention of uploading it so no bad feelings there ;) I also realise that strictly speaking, it's not even isometrically correct - just have a close look at the planks (is that the right word?) on the floor in front of the windows; but I suppose that's a general problem when trying to introduce perspective into pixel art... But it's not as evident now as it is at 800% zoom, I can tell you... :P If you like it anyway (I'd be honoured if you did), I would be okay with Purple Pineapple integrating it into his/her tileset (if he/she is okay with that too); I wouldn't even insist on being credited, just feel free to use it any way you like ;)

I could also make a tileset if you want me to, just tell me what kind of tileset you'd need - but it would be my first real tileset so you shouldn't rely on me alone X-P And I ought to warn you that I'd only be able to work rather slowly because I have to move in April and there's so much to do for university... But if I can shorten the waiting time for the level a little by contributing something (even if it would just be an unfinished tileset) that would be nice :)

By the way, I use GIMP, which has "real" transparency - would you be able to work with that as well? (In fact, I think I used pure black for the borders of my saloon - I could paint them over with (1,1,1) though.)
I'll get in contact with Purple Pineapple about that. :)

EDIT: You don't need to paint over it with off-black. I'm using Magenta for transparency.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 00:32:33 by Pumpkinbot »

Offline oebchen

• View Profile
Great - it would be nice to have helped in some way :)

Offline Pumpkinbot

• View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
Great - it would be nice to have helped in some way :)
I talked to Purple Pineapple, and he said it was okay. :3 Thank you.

Offline oebchen

• View Profile
Not at all :) Oh, and have a look at your inbox ;)

Offline Pumpkinbot

• View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
I did. Thanks.

Oh, and...
Spoiler: To Oebchen (click to show/hide)

Offline oebchen

• View Profile
I did. Thanks.

Oh, and...
Spoiler: To Oebchen (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Offline Pumpkinbot

• View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
*headdesk* I fail. I had Razzorman doing the tileset and I asked Purple Pineapple if I could use Oebchen's salloon. THAT's why I had Razzorman confused in a PM he sent me. Hold on, I need to get something...

EDIT: Here it is.
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 05:43:17 by Pumpkinbot »

Offline oebchen

• View Profile
But Razzorman is okay with having my saloon integrated into his tileset, too, isn't he? And I'm surprised that Purple Pineapple doesn't seem to have been confused when you asked him/her about a tileset he/she didn't even make... Oh well X-P

And I'm surprised that Purple Pineapple doesn't seem to have been confused when you asked him/her about a tileset he/she didn't even make... Oh well X-P
I read the topic, not so much the PM. X)
Lurk more.

Offline Pumpkinbot

• View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
And I'm surprised that Purple Pineapple doesn't seem to have been confused when you asked him/her about a tileset he/she didn't even make... Oh well X-P
Pretty much. xD

Offline oebchen

• View Profile
That would explain it, yes X-P