Saira and level editing (part 2)

• 20 Replies

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
Saira and level editing (part 2)
« on: November 20, 2009, 01:17:24 »
It seems I'm ahead of schedule, it should be no problem getting the game out by December 12 as long as the web shop setup doesn't turn out to be way too complicated (I've already tried it out so I can't imagine so). This gave me some time to finish the level editor too, so I'll probably release it a few days after the game itself.

Now here are all the basic facts you might want to know.

* Multimedia Fusion 2 is needed to modify puzzles and sound effects, as well as some other components which nature I don't want to spoil right now!
* Multimedia Fusion 2 is not needed to design new levels with custom graphics, music, and even custom enemies and player physics. Photoshop and a good vector animation tool is recommended.
* Third party Saira levels will only run in the full game (otherwise the editor could be used to modify the default level to work in the demo version). If a level is so fantastic that the game itself could get more players, I can unlock levels so they will be playable in the demo if you want. However, if you then modify them they will automatically become locked for demo access again.
* I want to hold on to the material in my own levels. Saira does not come with a library of any more graphics or creatures that the game itself uses like Knytt Stories did, and since it's a commercial game I wouldn't want it to lose it's special charm. Besides, your own levels will be more attractive if they don't look like the existing game. I encourage you to write your own stories with your own characters if possible, rather to base it on the SairaWaDFKnytt universe. I've decided a lot more about complexity of the game timelines than the game itself reveals.
* Saira level editing is hard and unsupported. Don't expect to be able to create a level unless you really dedicate time to figure everything out.
* Saira levels are potential security threats. They use Multimedia Fusion 2 sub-applications which have file writing capabilities. Do only run Saira levels from people who you trust.
* 1 tile layer using 24x24 grid tilesets (768x192) with a separate file containing the collision mask (white on magenta).
* 10 layers with different depths for still pictures that can be placed, rotated, and scaled.
* 1 layer for sprites.
* If you spend a lot of time and manage to create a really, really awesome level, I'm always open for distributing or even helping you sell it on the official website (full credits will be given of course).
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 01:29:42 by Nifflas »

Offline BloxMaster

• Master of the Bloxes!
    • View Profile
Re: Saira and level editing (part 2)
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 01:22:25 »
Thanks for the additional details, Nifflas. My only questions are did you mean December, or January? And will those who own MMF2 be able to do more modifying than those without?

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 01:22:54 »
December, I was confused. Sorry! I modified my post. Those who have MMF2 will be able to create their own puzzles, which is a pretty big feature, but for a platform dodge-enemies level without puzzle interaction, you won't need MMF2.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 01:24:30 by Nifflas »

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 13:44:09 »
I'd like to point out something. Although it might seem obvious to mention this, I still want to express this, just to be sure.

If you think its funny to write somekind if virus or any other kind of program to hide in your level that is not supposed to be for entertainment in your level, you risk getting banned.

Similar as when we had a user that made a Knytt Stories level, placed some gross graphical content in it and released it. That user was instantly banned aswell, without hesitation.

So if your level does intentional damage to a player's computer (both physical and psychological) you can count on a ban.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 00:59:06 »
* Third party Saira levels will only run in the full game (otherwise the editor could be used to modify the default level to work in the demo version). If a level is so fantastic that the game itself could get more players, I can unlock levels so they will be playable in the demo if you want. However, if you then modify them they will automatically become locked for demo access again.

Does this mean that we have to get the full version to create our own levels and play them on our own computer, or that you only need the full version if you wish to send custom levels to other people?
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.
:hiddenstar: - From Pumpkinbot

Offline BloxMaster

• Master of the Bloxes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 01:11:03 »
It would appear that you need to full version to test or play levels you or others make. (Correct me if wrong, though)

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 13:20:42 »
That's true, you won't be able to play your levels unless you have the full version.

Offline SiamJai

• View Profile
    • A gaming blog like no other.
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 17:23:30 »
Even with the repeated disclaimer about the difficulty, it's exciting news! :D

It seems that even without MMF2 on the side, the Saira level editor is quite powerful with plenty of advanced options. With it, it's almost like an autonomous game!

Photoshop and a good vector animation tool is recommended.

What file format(s) will the static and animated graphics use? Will the animation be spritesheet-based like in KS?

I'm very much looking forward to seeing this for real. :)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 17:25:47 by SiamJai »

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 02:37:57 »
The editor is actually very easy to use, you'll figure it out in no time. It's the editing that's complicated, most of the work is done using notepad...

Offline Emeraldfire7

• LoZ FTW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 21:26:16 »
so like the .ini setting in KS? but more complicated XD hmm can;t be THAT hard

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2009, 21:42:41 »
Famous last words.
Lurk more.

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2009, 22:29:43 »
 X)
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline The stickman

• Lol wut?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2009, 00:11:03 »
Hooray for Notepad! The most important and accurate Windows tool since MS Paint!

My Stars::hiddenstar::hiddenstar:
The blood of the innocent will flow without end, it's Zorc - That's me! - it's Zorc and pals!

Offline LimeLemon

• ¯\(°_o)/¯ i dunno lol
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2009, 09:51:36 »
Was that supposed to be sarcasm? Notepad is incredibly useful!
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Backloggery (click to show/hide)