Within a Deep Forest 2 (made with Game Maker)

• 56 Replies

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
Re: Within a Deep Forest 2 (made with Game Maker)
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2010, 23:51:30 »
Whoah, whoah, whoah. I'm not leading this again. I reopened it under the impression that vdweller wished to take over. If he didn't, then I'm going to have to change it back to <DEAD>. :/

Offline vdweller

• JapanStache!
    • View Profile
    • vdweller's freeware games
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2010, 01:00:08 »
Hey vdweller you still working on that pixel monster game?

Well, this might seem dirty, but I never actually stated I was actively developing such a game. I just drew some pixel monsters, leaving the possibility for future use open.

Now, on topic.

Working on a full-time job can really drain one's mind. I just need to find my pace again. But before anything else, I'd like to clarify a few things:
1) I have started working on a "bouncing ball" game. I don't plan to connect it in any way to WADF, so it can't be considered a sequel. I also understand that, given this, I should probably create a new, separate WIP at the dev. showcase section.
2) Programming a "bouncing ball" game in Game Maker with a 2D Physics Engine extension is unfathomably easy. It only took 3-4 hours to put the demo and those 3 bouncing ball types together. The problem is, it's hard to cooperate with another programmer because my coding, albeit functional, sucks major a**, is sloppy, I use 3 lines to do a thing that would normally require 1, and I comment what I do poorly.
3) About graphics. My principle is that I always make graphics for a game I'm working on. Well, it's more like a compulsion rather than a principle. So, this brings us to...
4) Music and level design/ideas. Simple physics puzzles. Area themes. This is what I could use. Especially music.
5) I may not be a game making guru, but I know this one thing: The more people discuss about how a game should be done, the less possible it will be that this game will ever be completed. Chats, MSNs, conversations over and over again, just to put a few banners and screens and that's all. So staying silent and only communicating for serious development issues may actually help a game being completed.

Taking into consideration all of the above, I, vdweller, the person who resurrected this topic by posting a half-assed demo, declare the following:

1) I will not post anything in this topic from now on. When I have something good to show of this project, I will create an appropriate thread in the dev. showcase section.
2) Every request for (additional) graphics, music, level design ideas, will come when the time is right. when I was making Metal Venture, I asked musicians to offer their tunes *after* the game was beyond 90% complete. I don't want people to make stuff for nothing. Me is me, and if I decide that I made something for nothing, I mostly punish myself.

So, stay tuned, and I might actually make something good :)

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2010, 05:41:20 »
2) Programming a "bouncing ball" game in Game Maker with a 2D Physics Engine extension is unfathomably easy. It only took 3-4 hours to put the demo and those 3 bouncing ball types together. The problem is, it's hard to cooperate with another programmer because my coding, albeit functional, sucks major a**, is sloppy, I use 3 lines to do a thing that would normally require 1, and I comment what I do poorly.

Ergh, talk about it. i know exactly how you feel XD
Except... i think i manage to use 7 lines for one line of code, and i have a habit of not commenting at all. (Well, i can remember exacly what that line does.... right?)
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.
:hiddenstar: - From Pumpkinbot

« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2010, 15:55:38 »
Once I purchase GM8 I'll get involved.

...Probably.

Offline TheDarkOne

• Darkness...
    • View Profile
    • Scratch Account
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2010, 07:10:45 »
Downloaded GM8 lite.

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2010, 00:28:19 »
I'll leave this open, then. If anyone wants the source materials I believe I still have them.

Offline TheDarkOne

• Darkness...
    • View Profile
    • Scratch Account
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2010, 05:07:32 »
I think it would be possible to do SOMETHING with the Lite version of GM to add to the programming if this is abandoned, though I have ZERO experience in it. Hmmm... *Thinks*   :a1:

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2010, 06:04:27 »
I think it would be possible to do SOMETHING with the Lite version of GM to add to the programming if this is abandoned, though I have ZERO experience in it. Hmmm... *Thinks*   :a1:

It wouldn't. Not with the files as they are, since they use GM Pro functions.

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2010, 08:29:12 »
although i will not provide links to GMPro, i do have the source files for WaDF2 that PYP was working on, and i am happy to send them to people who are interested
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.

Offline vdweller

• JapanStache!
    • View Profile
    • vdweller's freeware games
« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2010, 14:58:32 »
I said I wouldn't post here again, BUT...

Today I managed to put a tileset together that doesn't completely suck major a**. I also applied some ambient lighting, which makes a huge difference.

I still don't like, however, the fact that the background seems somewhat bloated while the underground looks empty, and it will be kinda hard to see the ball with all this stuff :(

EDIT: I got the same pic with an alternate ground. You decide what's best :)

« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 20:18:59 by vdweller »

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2010, 06:59:37 »
Hmmm....

WARNING: NO PROMISES. AT ALL. EVER.

I am already working on a game, and i often find that i want to work on something else when i get pissed off. i MIGHT start working on a WaDF sequel.
And here's another thing: I no longer spend much time in GameMaker, but instead use flash. so if i do finish it (well, if i even start it), anyone with flash will be able to play!

But yeah. If you have any valid ideas for story line, or think you can help with the programming/graphics, shout em out. i might be able to act on it.

If another programmer joins the team, i'll set up a GitHub repo.

And if this gets really big, i'll set up a new thread for it, with stuff like team lists. etc.

But programmers beware, i am a kinda messy programmer at times, and i rarely, if at all comment. I guess i need to learn some time, though!