Mashu Prapa V.2.5! [Exploration/normal]

• 41 Replies

Offline the Jack

• not *that* Jack!
    • View Profile
Re: Mashu Prapa! V.2! OMG! [Exploration/normal]
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2010, 18:51:13 »
If by "ks roots" you mean Knytt, then yes. They are pretty close and both are boring.
Wow. You are the first person I've heard say that I think.

I haven't seen anyone else say so here, but calling Knytt boring isn't that uncommon elsewhere on the internet... mainly among testosterone-poisoned adolescents (of whatever chronological age) who find any game where you can't either shoot things or blow things up boring. It is a surprising sentiment to see voiced on the Nifflas forums, though.

Personally, I can (and do) spend hours wandering through Mashu Prapa and Knytt... and in some ways I find MP more engaging than I do Knytt. (It's quite possibly the green.) They each have their different touches that really "shine" to me.

Actually, it's eggplant.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
Re: Mashu Prapa! V.2! OMG! [Exploration/normal]
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2010, 20:22:49 »
(It's quite possibly the green.)

Definitely the green. ;-)

But, seriously. Yeah, I think the green is at least part of it - MP feels like a fertile and welcoming place, whereas Knytt can be a bit bare-feeling, sometimes almost desert-like. It can feel a little bit forbidding at times, and I'm not always in the mood for that. (I do love Knytt, too, though.)

Hmm... I've had a stressful couple of days, maybe I should go play some MP now...

Offline Feline Monstrosity

• Pussy cat, pussy cat..
    • View Profile
Re: Mashu Prapa! V.2.5! OMG! [Exploration/normal]
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2010, 00:50:00 »
Oh, I must disagree (sorry to derail the topic a little). I can't get enough of those bleak environments, like the
Spoiler: "Just in case" (click to show/hide)

I'm always in the mood for Knytt! I find it so relaxing in a way that no KS level has ever matched.

To make this post a bit more on-topic: I actually quite like most of the music in Mashu Prapa. It makes a nice change from the moody ambient music most KS levels have (the default songs) to something a bit more old-school MIDI sounding. One of the songs really annoyed me though.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 00:58:56 by Feline Monstrosity »
"In the world there is nothing more submissive and weak than water. Yet for attacking that which is hard and strong nothing can surpass it. "  ~Lao Tzu

Offline Feline Monstrosity

• Pussy cat, pussy cat..
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2010, 17:58:16 »
NES music? I like NES music! Mashu Prapa didn't use NES music though? NES music is 8-bit.
"In the world there is nothing more submissive and weak than water. Yet for attacking that which is hard and strong nothing can surpass it. "  ~Lao Tzu

Offline the Jack

• not *that* Jack!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2010, 20:32:14 »
I found most of the music in MP fit really well with its associated environment, and was an integral part of what distinguishes each area from the neighbouring areas. MP is a level I won't play with the sound off.

Actually, it's eggplant.

Offline the Jack

• not *that* Jack!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2010, 05:33:25 »
Okay, I finally found
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
so now I'm just wandering around to those last few places I couldn't get to before.

And then I came upon this screen again:
Spoiler: screenshot! (click to show/hide)

I've been through here a bunch of times before, and I've tried coming at the part of the screen where Juni gets the 'secret' glow from every angle, including going around to other screens and trying to see if I have to access the secret passage from elsewhere... I'm stumped! Was there not supposed to be a detect-glow there, or am I just missing something?

Once I finally finish the version I've been playing, I will be downloading 2.5 -- though I'll probably give myself at least a week or two before I give it a spin, so it can seem fresh to me.

Actually, it's eggplant.

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2010, 11:37:52 »
I came upon this screen again:
Spoiler: screenshot! (click to show/hide)

I've been through here a bunch of times before, and I've tried coming at the part of the screen where Juni gets the 'secret' glow from every angle, including going around to other screens and trying to see if I have to access the secret passage from elsewhere... I'm stumped! Was there not supposed to be a detect-glow there, or am I just missing something?

That's one of the secret animal screens. And in the screenshot, you are very close to the passage.  ;)

Mashu Prapa didn't use NES music though? NES music is 8-bit.

NES or SNES or both, I don't remember. Some donkey kong contrey in there anyway. But the music is not from it's orginial source either, it's also .midi files converted into .ogg might sound weird.

Offline the Jack

• not *that* Jack!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2010, 17:43:57 »
That's one of the secret animal screens. And in the screenshot, you are very close to the passage.  ;)

Aha! Now the funny thing is that, between when I left that comment and when you replied, I left the KS window running MP open, minimised & muted, and in the interim I've messed with a couple of other levels -- play-testing my own, and checking out the just-released "Underground" and "A Knytt In Time, League of Crap Players Edition" -- and, apparently, KS did that thing where sometimes it decides that you didn't really mean to minimise that window, and moves Juni in both games.

And I actually hadn't saved at the nearest savepoint (or I did, but did a lot of blind moving around!) and so, when I brought MP back up just now, I had to backtrack a goodly ways, from the beige-crosshatched area in fact, to get back to the screenshot-screen. Wouldn't you know it,
Spoiler: A clue! (click to show/hide)

I'm quite fond of the visual effect in that area, all that green in those particular shades, and the little green turtles (which are my favourites of all the turtles in KS) matching so well. It is one of the areas where the music creates a feeling of... hm, apprehension? which, while not entirely inappropriate, does tend to keep me focussed enough on "okay, don't die here" that I can't quite appreciate those visuals as much as I might otherwise. Most of the areas where the music has that effect are significantly less green, also... I think the only other really extra-attractive green area where the music doesn't contribute to the "relaaax and enjoooy the soooothing greeeen" is where the beavers are -- coincidentally another of my favourite areas, probably in my top three for the level, largely for those gorgeous ferns, though the way the background tiles suggest an ambient glow helps with that as well.

And I'm also fond of all the little -- as you dubbed them -- secret animal screens. The animals' dialogue is so cheerful, and often conspiratorial ("have you...?"); those screens are absolutely essential to the charm of MP for me.

Actually, it's eggplant.

Offline Vinterrun

• Schniggedi Schnapp die Daumen sind ab!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2011, 15:20:32 »
Master Salmoneus,
may I use and edit one of your tilesets for my level? You'll be rewarded with nothing and it's not a big deal for you but still ;)

I'll name you as Tilesetcreator of course
under re-construction:

Coming late:

Starwale *pun*

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2011, 18:15:30 »
he's not an active member anymore.
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline Vinterrun

• Schniggedi Schnapp die Daumen sind ab!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2011, 00:58:00 »
No! Why not?

He was a great member  :sad:
under re-construction:

Coming late:

Starwale *pun*