(Resolved) BUG: KSManager leaving broken lines.

• 6 Replies

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
(Resolved) BUG: KSManager leaving broken lines.
« on: November 15, 2009, 20:13:32 »
Mods, feel free to move this topic if this isn't the right place.  Honestly, I'm not sure where this topic should go.

Sometimes after using KSM, I find broken lines in World.ini.  They're stuff that was once there but is now missing the first several letters, like "fect(C)=False", or "iftFlagOff(A)=".  This effectively compromises the line (as lines like n(A) and fect(C) do nothing), though I don't think it necessarily breaks the room since KSM just makes another copy of the line it broke when it realizes it can't find the line anymore.  But I think I have seen signs get copied into another room at least once as a result of this bug.

I will have to look into this more before I pinpoint the cause for sure, but experiments so far seem to suggest two possible causes:
  • This might happen when a property is defined and then you undefine it, and when KSM goes to remove the line it only removes half of it.
  • This might happen when you add a definition of a previous property (like if you already have Sign(B) and then you add a definition to Sign(A)) to your screen and then when KSM goes to Add that line in, it accidentally overwrites part of the data for the next line (similar to typing in Overtype mode).

Here's a sample of my level's World.ini.  Sign text has been removed.

Code: [Select]
[x1007y1005]
Flag(A)=0
FlagWarpX(A)=3
FlagWarpY(A)=1
lagWarpY(A)=1
[x1015y1005]
Sign(A)=*******
ftFlagOff(C)=
Sign(C)=*******
ShiftSound(C)=None
ShiftQuantize(C)=False
ShiftEffect(C)=False
Sign(B)=*******
ShiftXPos(A)=21
ShiftYPos(A)=5
ShiftXMap(A)=1013
ShiftYMap(A)=1005
ShiftAbsoluteTarget(A)=True
[x1013y1005]
Sign(A)=*******

Sign(B)=*******
ShiftXMap(A)=1015
ShiftYMap(A)=1005
ShiftAbsoluteTarget(A)=True
Sign(C)=*******
n(C)=
ShiftXPos(A)=3
ShiftYPos(A)=5
[x1016y1005]
Sign(A)=*******
Sign(B)=*******
n(C)=
Sign(C)=*******
ShiftQuantize(C)=False
ShiftEffect(C)=False
fect(C)=False
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 20:56:23 by Exp HP »
(secretly hoping nobody will mention the object compendium)
My stars:   :hiddenstar:(Object Compendium):hiddenstar:(By PM)
Check out my Youtube channel for some terrible Let's Plays by a socially inept nerd!

Offline BloxMaster

• Master of the Bloxes!
    • View Profile
Re: BUG: KSManager leaving broken lines.
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 20:22:29 »
That's odd, and as far as I know, hasn't been reported before. I don't think there is much I can do to help, but remove (or fix) the broken lines and then reinstall the manager? Also it may help to know what version of the manager you are using, or if you are using anything else to modify the ini.

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 20:26:19 »
Also it may help to know what version of the manager you are using, or if you are using anything else to modify the ini.

v 1.08 (the latest version).  I'm using the one that came packaged with Knytt Stories v1.2.1.

I make some manual edits to World.ini (via Notepad), but not when KSM is open.  Also, none of the the lines that are broken are lines that I wrote in there with Notepad.
However, I will go and run some experiments with using KSM after making edits with Notepad.  I've had difficulty reproducing the glitch just by using KSM, so maybe the use of an external editor is part of the cause.

EDIT: I've run several tests that involve alternating between edits to World.ini via KSM and edits to World.ini with Notepad.  The glitch did not happen.  I'll continue running tests.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 20:41:28 by Exp HP »
Check out my Youtube channel for some terrible Let's Plays by a socially inept nerd!

Offline BloxMaster

• Master of the Bloxes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 20:43:21 »
It could be possible that by some accident parts of the properties were erased in notepad. If it isn't happening still, then it's probably fine to just correct what is messed up, and just keep a backup of the .ini just in case or something.

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
Not a BUG: KSManager leaving broken lines.
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 20:55:23 »
Alright, I was able to reproduce it.  And I am at fault; it's not a bug with KSM.

This occurs when you make an edit to World.ini via Notepad and save it while KSM is still open, and then make a change in KSM and save that.  KSM loads the data from World.ini when you open it, and it uses its own system to keep track of line placement when it saves, so if you make changes KSM doesn't know about, stuff like this certainly will happen.

So I guess that on a few occasions I did edit World.ini manually while KSM was still open.  Which is quite a careless thing to do (and I don't remember ever doing it), but I obviously did or else I wouldn't be here right now making this bug report. :oops:

I gotta stop making embarrassing topics here.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 21:02:11 by Exp HP »

Offline BloxMaster

• Master of the Bloxes!
    • View Profile
Re: (Resolved) BUG: KSManager leaving broken lines.
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 20:57:44 »
I'm glad you solved it. I didn't know that could happen but I guess it can!

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: (Resolved) BUG: KSManager leaving broken lines.
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 23:38:02 »
Thanks for getting back at us. :)

You don't need to feel ashamed. Crazy stuff happens to everyone. :)
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex