Cubed

• 5 Replies

Offline Kyodo

• View Profile
Cubed
« on: November 11, 2009, 06:28:38 »
Hey guys, this is my first time posting a level, so be nice! :3
Well, this isn't the first level I've made (not even close) but I don't consider most of my stuff worthy of being shared. This level is very unusual compared to others, as its sole purpose is exploration of a higher-dimensional object. Since Juni is two-dimensional, exploring the surface of a cube would be quite confusing for her. 2D spaces would seem to overlap, but because they are actually in 3D, they do not. There's no story, but if it gains a following, I might add one.

Give it a try, and see if you can understand it. It has science content~ >:D
Courtesy link:
http://knyttlevels.com/?page=download

Oh, I also discovered a bug literally 5 minutes after I uploaded it, so make sure you get the fixed version. Please report any bugs you find by telling me the room color and the arrow direction if you can remember it.
Plus, leave it to me to post this under the wrong topic... Way to make a first post, huh?<:3
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 06:38:41 by Kyodo »

Re: Cubed
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 07:18:38 »
How about a direct link?

Also, I walked in the direction of the gravity arrows.. I'm pretty sure the cube should have a lowest point somewhere. More over, one room with gravity towards the floor, and another towards the ceiling.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 07:22:16 by Purple Pineapple »
Lurk more.

Offline Kyodo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 07:37:09 »
Ah, yes. The arrows don't really mean anything, they are just there to give you an idea of how you have rotated relative to the starting position. It's weird, but think of it like this:
When you move downward, the 3D cube is rotating from the bottom up, and the room you were in previously is now "above" your computer screen, perpendicular to the current screen. If you go down again, the first room is now behind the screen, and parallel to it.  When you go to the right, the cube rotates right to left, an so on. When you move left, up, right, and then down, you will see that you are back where you started, only rotated 90 degrees. If you think of the cube rotating with the screen movements it makes sense.

Also, I promise to post a normal level in the near future. I'm afraid this might be a little bit too experimental for most peoples' taste.

Offline SiamJai

• View Profile
    • A gaming blog like no other.
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 08:44:07 »
Also, I promise to post a normal level in the near future.

You are very welcome to do so, but please make sure you post it in the right category next time. :) As of now, full playable levels go to the Knytt Stories Level Releases board (I moved yours here). Only level concepts are posted in the Level Previews board.

Thanks and welcome to the forums! :)

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 13:07:45 »
Congratulations on completing your first level!

I've got to say the idea seems quite interesting, but the level is really too simple to do it justice. There's so much you could do to improve it! For instance, all of the screens are similar, and only the colors change. It's not really confusing, it's just colors changing. But if you added some critters here and there, maybe a couple of houses or something, etc., you could play with those things in various ways. The opposite sides of the cube could have the same critters/houses, or almost the same, or inverted (i.e. one has them in the uppermost part of the screen, the opposite one has them in the lower area..).. some sides left empty.. Or you could introduce a soft background sound, like a hiss or a soft drone (soft as to not irritate anyone) to make sure different areas of the projection have different, er, sound to them... etc. Maybe you could add a switch or two somewhere that would "open" the cube on one side, so that Juni could escape it, and it'd be a puzzle level then. Maybe you could get some secret passages in, so that Juni could talk to someone living on some side of the cube... and so on.

So yeah, great concept, I just wish it were a full-fledged level working with that concept.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 14:56:28 by yohji »

Offline Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 21:32:12 »
hawt level

very nice