[Normal][Misc] Seek the Light

• 13 Replies
[Normal][Misc] Seek the Light
« on: October 18, 2009, 18:50:58 »
My first attempt to make a knytt stories level!

I discovered Knytt yesterday, and fell in love. I've played some Knytt levels before I made this one. Juni has to find the Light and she gets help from angels, it's quite simple and small. I've tested it and played it so it shoud work. If you find any glitches or mistakes, please tell so I can fix it. Please go lightly on me, I'm very very new to Knytt Stories and level making.

Now, it's time for you to seek the light.

http://knyttlevels.com/levels/Vhalkyria%20-%20SeekTheLight.knytt.bin
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 18:53:22 by Vhalkyria »

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
Re: [Normal][Misc] Seek the Light
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 19:45:02 »
Quite nice for a first level! Congratulations - and wow, you're a fast learner if you mastered the editor in such a short time.

Here are the problems I encountered:
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Also, I suggest either placing the signs on the actual characters, or using sign areas. It's a little bit uncomfortable when you have to return to a particular square to read something, even though you're standing right next to the person who's talking.

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 20:11:46 »
Very nice first level. It should be noted, however, that there is already a game called "Knytt" This one is Knytt Stories.
Lurk more.

Offline pLox

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 21:38:24 »
Very nice first level indeed. you certainley learned the level editor fast if you discovered it yesterday. nice work for a first timer. but as yohij mentioned, you should put the sign ON the character and not next to it. Or use sign areas as he also pointed out. but all in all, nice work for a first timer. keep it up! :)

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 22:59:25 »
Well I didn't learn the editor without help, I found a very helpful tutorial by SiamJai (the author) when I serched this site. So I'm no super fast learner, hehe. I will try fixing the signs and the other stuff.

I'm also well awere that "Knytt" and "Knytt Stories" are two different games (I've played them both.) And I will be more specified in the future that I speak of "Knytt Stories" and not "Knytt".

Offline saba

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 01:06:29 »
I like this. It's cute and I think I can tell you like fantasy ..?  C)
One thing I noticed in the garden is that there's a sign right next to a plant. I think it's better to have stuff to read in areas where you are not in danger.

Offline TheoX

• Lost in retro.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 03:48:34 »
This level is pretty, and has a good balance between easy and difficult parts.

I have no complains that haven't already been stated, and those were minor.  Very good work on this first level! :)
Miscellany:
My Website
My Chiptune Music
Currently: Having fun at college.

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 04:35:46 »
For a first level, it's pretty good. In fact, it deserves a song quote! :D
Quote from: See the Light" by Green Day
Well I just want to see the light,
And I don?t want to lose my sight,
Well I just want to see the light,
And I need to know what?s worth the fight,
Anyway, a couple of things that could use improvement. First, there's a lot of flat running. Add small bumps and stuff on the ground. Second are SGEs, or Small Graphical Errors. These are usually just problems with the tileset. For example, look at x1002, y999 (the screen with the giant purple charging ant things). There should be a border around all of the ground tiles. The third thing isn't much of a problem, but it could use a lot more decorations. Other than that, it's really good! :)
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline special_d

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 19:18:31 »
...damn. Was I supposed to need the umbrella? I'm at a screen where there's water on either side and spikes going up wind where you'd normally use umbrella to get up...

edit: never mind, got it and beat the level. I liked it!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 20:14:28 by special_d »

Offline theiza27

• 'allo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 07:22:27 »
not bad 1st level... i like ur challenges more than anything especially
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
u just need to work on ur aesthetics a bit more... u seem to have a gud head for level making (even if u used a tutorial lolz) can't wait til u make more :)

Offline lamarblake

• ICU
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 15:33:00 »
Ditto on all the "good for a first level" comments. Truly is. Actually VERY good for a first level. I'm jealous you learned the level editor so quickly.

I constantly state here in the forum my lack of level editing knowledge and that I only play levels but my lack of level editing expertise does not, I believe, mean I can't leave a few comments here and there. What's the old saying about not knowing anything about art, I just know what I like?

Really good on that tricky bit heading west with the screen wide row of rising spike blocks!

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 19:23:43 »
I love fantasy!  ^_^ It's like a whole other world. And many many thanks to everybody who comment!

saba- that sign wasn't really suppose to be there, I forgot to remove it.   :S

I have made a little list of all the problems you guys find, and I will try to fix all the problems when I get the time...Time is such a rare thing nowdays... Again, thank you so much for all comments ^_^

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2009, 19:33:49 »
I just downloaded Knytt Stories again after a monthlong break and picked your level at random for a little game for the start, and I really liked it =). It was fun, not too challenging and stuff. I really liked that bit before the Angel of Courage where you had to dodge all those spikeblocks. For a first level really great.

Offline Xia

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2009, 05:27:08 »
Only problem I had with it was that there was an uneven amount of detailed screens. Your garden area was looking good, but most of the other screens were largely undetailed. Other than that, good first level. Try making a new level using shifts or some of the other more advanced things.
[medium size, two endings, hard difficulty] Flight.
Coming soon! The Quest of Unknown Length