Making advanced edits to KS levels without KSManager

• 14 Replies

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
Making advanced edits to KS levels without KSManager
« on: November 08, 2009, 19:20:33 »
EDIT: Hey guys, I decided to write a guide myself after some experience with World.ini.
I will say that, while KSManager certainly makes the job simpler and easier to understand, arming yourself with knowledge of World.ini and manually editing it yourself can let you do a lot of things much faster (especially since you can't do much with copy/paste in KSM).

So here it is: A comprehensive reference to World.ini.

(Spoilered for space concerns)
Spoiler: Working with World.ini (click to show/hide)

(Original post below)

KSManager isn't working for me (the moment I click on it, it brings up a dialog saying Macromedia Fusion Stand Alone Application stopped working).  Rather than ask how to get it to work (which I'm sure hundreds already have), I'd like to ask how I can do its functions without using it.

Are signs and shifts and warps stored in linebreak/comma/semicolon/whatever-delimited text files where they can easily be edited with Notepad?  Where is this data put for individual rooms? Does the file provide sufficient documentation on how the data is stored, or should I be referred to some guide here on editing the file?

Can I just place 600x240 images into the respective cutscene folders (giving them corresponding numbers, of course)?

Are there any additional steps to adding tilesets/music/ambiance beyond creating subdirectories for the media within my level folder and enumerating them?

These are just a few of my questions.  I'm hoping there's a guide to doing this somewhere already on here, but I don't see any such topic stickied.

(by the way, I love the seamless integration of the Edit Post button into the topic here ;))
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 07:36:22 by Exp HP »
(secretly hoping nobody will mention the object compendium)
My stars:   :hiddenstar:(Object Compendium):hiddenstar:(By PM)
Check out my Youtube channel for some terrible Let's Plays by a socially inept nerd!

Offline Emeraldfire7

• LoZ FTW!
    • View Profile
Re: Making advanced edits to KS levels without KSManager
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 19:36:24 »
most things done with the KSmanager can be done in the .ini file in the knytt stories level file thing (the world folder) im not exactly sure how to modify it (add shifts signs etc.) as i've never done it before XD but i know its possible, you can't change graphics on one screen though (like making new screens and such) only change the settings, shifts/signs/etc. lol

you can just throw in a 600X240 image in a cutscene folder so long as it's 600X240, saved as a .PNG, and named Scene1/Scene2 etc. etc. :P

thats pretty well all i know at the moment XD i know some people on here know lots about editing the .ini file :P2

and its not much harder than using the KSmanager :)

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 20:33:36 »
I'm looking around for a guide right now.  After all, there was a time when KSManager didn't exist, right?
I thought I'd try looking around the "old forum", but no dice. I can't find a guide. <_<

Woe is me.  Oh, woe woe woe is me.

:crazy:

Actually, I looked through the levels I downloaded and found where the information is stored.  It's stored in World.ini, under listings with the room coordinates in brackets.  I'll mess around with it and see what I get!
If nobody can find a good resource that's already here, then once I get used to using it I'll eventually share my own findings on it.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 20:41:52 by Exp HP »
Check out my Youtube channel for some terrible Let's Plays by a socially inept nerd!

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 20:39:51 »
Indeed, its possible to use all features without using the manager. The manager only writes to the ini file and places files in the respective folders.

These are tasks you can do manually too. Let me look up a link (will be a copy/paste) for you.

EDIT: btw, I came across this while looking:

Quote from: Squall
When I go to run this I get an error reading

"Multimedia Fusion Stand Alone Application has encountered a problem and needs to close"

Any ideas on what is wrong.
Quote from: X_Sheep
Make sure it's in the right directory. It must be in Knytt Stories\3rd Party Tools\Knytt Stories Manager\.

EDIT2:
;ShiftXPos(A/B/C)=0
;ShiftYPos(A/B/C)=0
;ShiftXMap(A/B/C)=0
;ShiftYMap(A/B/C)=0
;ShiftSound(A/B/C)=Electronic/None/Door/Switch
;ShiftStopMusic(A/B/C)=True
;ShiftType(A/B/C)=0
;ShiftTouch(A/B/C)=True
;ShiftQuantize(A/B/C)=False
;ShiftCutscene(A/B/C)=NameOfCutscene
;ShiftVisible(A/B/C)=False
;ShiftSave(A/B/C)=True
;Ending=NameOfCutscene

;Sign(A/B/C)=Text

;WarpX(U/D/L/R)=0
;WarpY(U/D/L/R)=0

;Use this formula to calculate the colour value: Blue * 65536 + Green * 256 + Red
;Clothes=0
;Skin=0;
;AmbiFade(A)=Slow
;Format=0

Code: [Select]
Example: in map x1000y1000 you have shift A:

[x1000y1000]
ShiftXPos(A)=5
ShiftYPos(A)=-3

Quote from: LPChip's post from old forum
I actually thought that you'd understand what the settings would do...

ShiftSound -> Changes the type of sound you hear when activating the shift object
ShiftStopMusic -> If set to true, using the shifter will stop the current music from playing, so other music in the destination will be played quicker.
ShiftType -> Changes the type of shifter (basically the look of the shifter, which also is the collision mask)
ShiftTouch -> If set to true, touching will activate the shifter. (Use shiftType to set the collision mask)
ShiftQuantize -> If set to False, warping will not set you to the middle of the next location.
ShiftCutscene -> Triggers a cutscene with this name (REQUIRES the save to be set to true!!!)
ShiftVisible -> If set to false, you can't see the shifter, but the collision maks still applies in case you set touch to true.
ShiftSave -> If set to true, activating the shifter will save the game at the destination. This means, if you die, you will respawn at the place the shifter took you to. (together with touch and visible=false, you can make auto-save locations, I guess?

Since the warp object works a little bit different, I'll add a description of it too.

If you place the warp object (square with 4 arrows pointing outwards) you can use WarpX/Y to select the screen you want to warp to.

The next parameter is the U/D/L/R which are the first letters of: Up, Down, Left, Right. This means, that the setting is only activated if you leave the screen in that direction.

The number behind the = means how many screens to go from the selected axis. (eg. WarpX = axis X, WarpY = axisY.

Example:

WarpX(R)=-1
WarpX(L)=1
WarpY(U)=1
WarpY(D)=-1

These 4 warp commands will make sure that you stay in the same screen. If you exit on the right, you will enter that same screen on the left. and that from all locations.

Quote from: LPChip's post from old forum
Ok, so, I understand them all except Quantize. Also, what collision masks do the numbers in the command stand for?

Ok. Quantize basically remembers the offset whitin a cell. If its set to true (default) you will set to the exact center of the tile you're being moved to.

Lets say that you make the transport go to the next screen, which is the same look as the current, you will still move if you're not entirelly in the center. This is really strange looking for buttons and switches. You press the button, and you see yourself move. Really odd. If you set Quantize to false, you will not move to the center of that tile. So even if you are touching that cell only by 1 pixel, you will be that far of the center when the transport is complete. If you still don't understand what I mean, make a testcase and do a screenwarp instead of a position warp. (so use ShiftXMap(A)=1) and make an exact replica on the screen next to it. Then activate the shifter from as far to the edge as possible. Then make add the quantize=false setting and see the difference.

If you refer to the type as collision mask, then just try them out. Just only add type and try them out. 0 (default) is one that looks like a savespot, but its purple. There's also a larger one, and there's a star one (knytt teleport style) and so on.

How's that? :D
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 20:52:18 by LPChip »
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 20:49:06 »
It came packaged with KS, so it's in the default directory.  Does it matter that I placed Knytt Stories in a location other than C:\Program Files\?  I install all my software to a folder I made called C:\Installed Software\ (or C:\Downloaded Software\ for games that don't use installers) to circumvent Vista's UAC.

EDIT: Never mind, the default directory is indeed different from the desired directory.
When you download Knytt Stories, KS Manager is placed in Knytt Stories\3rd Party Tools\KSManager
Renaming the folder to Knytt Stories Manager does fix the problem.
Perhaps the .zip distributable for Knytt Stories should be fixed to use the correct directory name for KSM?

EDIT 2: Never mind, my problem was that the path name is too long.  The fix I mentioned in the above edit did allow KSM to be run straight from its folder (before changing the name, trying to double click Knytt Stories Manager.exe would make nothing happen at all), but it still couldn't be run from inside KS Editor (because KS Editor could no longer find KSM!).

Moving the entire Knytt Stories folder just to C: - without making the changes described above to the KSM folder - made it work the way it's supposed to.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 23:52:56 by Exp HP »

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 20:53:43 »
Great to see that you fixed the issue. For reference sake, I still have posted the ini blahness. :) The old forum doesn't stay up all the time, so its good to have the important parts copied. This was actually a topic that was a discussion that got us the KS Manager. :)

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 04:35:57 »
I took some time off from working on my level to write up a comprehensive (hopefully) guide to working with World.ini.  It's in the first post now.  I probably should also add in a bit about the non-World.ini stuff (cutscenes, media), but that's easy enough to figure out, and mom's kinda giving me this glare and asking rhetorical questions I know the answer to, and so I think it'll at least have to wait until it's not past my bedtime.

There was one thing I just couldn't figure out (the "Format" setting under [World]).  I tried messing with it but saw nothing change, either in the level itself or on the level select.  Any ideas?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 04:43:01 by Exp HP »

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 04:45:32 »
Bravo. Very good to see someone cares about the ini file! Good job and all that.
Lurk more.

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 08:26:32 »
There was one thing I just couldn't figure out (the "Format" setting under [World]).  I tried messing with it but saw nothing change, either in the level itself or on the level select.  Any ideas?

From X_Sheep in the old Forum:
Don't touch the Format setting. It's used to detect which version of KS was used to make the level.

That's about all level makers need to know about it.
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 22:42:58 »
Thanks, AA.  I've added a description to Format.

From the looks of it, Format was implemented as a means of backwards compatibility so that if the structure of level files is updated, KS can still recognize files using the old structure.  I also can see now that it plays a role in telling the user when they need to upgrade.
But there's certainly no need to touch this line, and I've made a warning as such.

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 22:47:15 »
Great effort Exp HP! Thanks. :)

MODPlug Central Forum

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2009, 01:22:47 »
From X_Sheep in the old Forum:
Don't touch the Format setting. It's used to detect which version of KS was used to make the level.

That's about all level makers need to know about it.
And that's about all there is to know about it.
Lurk more.

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2009, 01:31:13 »
As far as I know, version 1.0.* is format 0, 1.1 is 1, and 1.2 is 2. :)

Offline the Jack

• not *that* Jack!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 02:22:02 »
Just wanted to say Thank You for making this guide. :hiddenstar: for you!

I needed to set a flag warp in the level I'm working on, and for some reason, even though I've been able to set exit warps, shifts (with and without flags), sign text etc. just fine with KSManager, for some reason it absolutely rejected all my attempts to set any flag warps. Adding the relevant lines manually in the world.ini worked like a charm, though.

Additional thanks to the search function for helping me find this guide without having to make a whole separate post.  C)p

Actually, it's eggplant.

Offline LB

• I failed the Turing test.
    • View Profile
    • LB-Stuff
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 20:35:37 »
Actually, the correct terminology from what I know is

[Group]
Item=Value

But that's just from using MMF2, I don't know if that's really what the original terminology was.