My 3rd Party tools wont work (knytt stories manager)

• 4 Replies

Offline Cole Tucker

• NightGodCole
    • View Profile
My 3rd Party tools wont work (knytt stories manager)
« on: November 08, 2009, 17:38:29 »
Hey everyone, i have a problem.     Whenever i try to go to 3rd party tools on knytt story level editor it says it stopped working. I dont know what to do please help  :sad:
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 03:23:05 by Cole Tucker »

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
Re: My 3rd Party tools wont work (knytt stories manager)
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 22:15:05 »
I don't use it myself, but if I remember correctly, there was an issue with long pathnames: try moving the KS directory so that it has a shorter path.

P.S.: it's mentioned in the FAQs (Q:When I try to use the Knytt Stories Manager, I get an error saying that something has frozen. How do I fix this?); hopefully it's the same issue.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 22:19:19 by AA »
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 22:38:28 »
I got the same error, too, but it's working now!
You do in fact have to change the folder name before it works.  When you download Knytt Stories, KS Manager is included, but it's not in the right place!
KSM only works if it is in Knytt Stories\3rd Party Tools\Knytt Stories Manager
But if you look at the folder itself, you'll see it's in Knytt Stories\3rd Party Tools\KSManager
So go to the 3rd Party Tools folder, right click on the KSManager folder and rename it to Knytt Stories Manager.
Note:  You still won't be able to use KSM from within the KS Editor, though.
Fortunately, you will now be able to double click on Knytt Stories Manager.exe inside that folder, and it will run.
(If you don't rename the folder, then nothing happens at all when you double click the icon.
 It doesn't even say it crashed.  It just simply won't do anything.)

Disregard my advice.  I just tried putting it directly onto the C: drive (without "fixing" the KSManager folder name) and it started working the way it's supposed to: right from the editor. So my problem also was the path name.
I had KS in C:\Downloaded Software\Knytt Stories\, but apparently even that's too long.  It doesn't take much to break it, so I would definitely take the other people's advice and take a look at your path name!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 21:51:45 by Exp HP »
(secretly hoping nobody will mention the object compendium)
My stars:   :hiddenstar:(Object Compendium):hiddenstar:(By PM)
Check out my Youtube channel for some terrible Let's Plays by a socially inept nerd!

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 23:08:17 »
And ontop of that, like AA points out, if you put Knytt Stories on your desktop, it can be that the path becomes too long. This will also trigger this error, even while the path is correct. If you feel that this is the case, try moving the entire Knytt Stories folder to C:\ and see if that fixes it.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Cole Tucker

• NightGodCole
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 15:40:32 »
Thaaanks sooooo much everyone its working again  C) and btw when is the next nifflas Knytt stories level coming out?