KS Level Competition

• 841 Replies

Offline Klämrisk

• I can't even recall why I have this duck anymore..
    • View Profile
Re: KS Level Competition
« Reply #780 on: August 09, 2012, 00:59:11 »
I have a very disorientating level that's cutscenes from done that I just might post in here, just for shits and giggles. :P Glad to see people are still running these competitions, they're loads of fun.  :)

Edit: So here it is, the level. It loops around in all sorts of places, so just maybe it follows the criterias set. It's called "Find Home".

Download "Find Home"
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 22:35:01 by Klämrisk »
Audial experimentations (Read: demos)
Crazy metal band I sing and play bass/electric guitar in

"Throwback" - a KS level in progress
I seem to recall starting a shift-animation frenzy and increased fascination in Juni's transparent body.

Offline plural

• twice shy
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: August 16, 2012, 01:03:20 »
Oh, that's wonderful. It doesn't matter how it loops I just wanted to see something interesting with it.

I made a level to maybe give people ideas or something, it's not really finished or anything but it's what I would've made if I were going to be participate in a competition like this. Maybe it will inspire someone but I felt bad since this competition seems to be lacking compared to the last so I thought I'd at least give people something to play.

http://www.knyttlevels.com/levels/plural%20-%20Trapped.knytt.bin

Offline Firecat

• Every bit is important.
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: August 16, 2012, 02:46:09 »
I'm actually doing something for this, i have yet to make it playable. :)
There's 110011 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, Those who don't, and those who confuse it with ASCII.

Offline Marximillian

• I don't hate Swedes, what are you implying exactly
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: August 17, 2012, 18:50:30 »
I just want to say I'm really looking forward to some levels made in this competition.
x

Offline Firecat

• Every bit is important.
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: August 29, 2012, 21:01:55 »
Well, there you go. I tried to warp it like a real planet, the closer to the center you are, the less screens it takes to make a loop.
There's 110011 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, Those who don't, and those who confuse it with ASCII.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #785 on: August 30, 2012, 06:19:05 »
That's a fine little level Firecat. Nice usage of the Area Ambiance objects, very subtle.

« Reply #786 on: September 05, 2012, 12:43:33 »
Ok guys, here is a small submission called EndLoop. It's kind of a jungle maze with a little action and lots of loops within loops.

Here is the Forum thread:

http://nifflas.lpchip.nl/index.php?topic=5518.0

Here's the direct download:

http://knyttlevels.com/levels/DaveGermainGames%20-%20EndLoop-Final.knytt.bin

Enjoy!
(Side note: I hadn't made any games in a while but I was happy to see the competition really pick up again. This community has amazing staying power.)

Offline plural

• twice shy
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: September 05, 2012, 14:04:22 »
Barring any more additions I'll end this contest at the end of the the day today, any stragglers are welcome at any point, the deadline isn't over until it's over. But again, barring any more additions, I'll post the contest winner and my thoughts and the three levels submitted (I've played through them all already), in about 18-24 hours or so; probably sooner rather than later.

Edit because I don't want to double post:

Dave.Germain - EndLoop
I like the start and end loop cutscenes, felt a bit fun/cute/silly. It would have been cool if the level never ended and just cutscened back to the start but even I can see how that might get annoying. The first part threw me for a loop (pun not intended, but I'm not gonna shy away from it either). I felt like the dog that's doing chemistry in that one meme picture that says "I have no idea what I'm doing." But once I found the way to the next section it was much easier for me to understand. That's not necessarily detrimental that I couldn't understand well I just felt like I was thrown into that part in the action/adventure or rpg where you're suddenly in the looping forest area except you forgot to talk to the guys who tell you the correct path so you just start guessing until you get there. Maybe some direction would be better, or maybe I'm just stupid about it. Anyway, I really like how the level was cohesive from an artistic design standpoint, a lot of levels just end up being a mishmash but it was nice how the grass ran into temple. The difficulty didn't really ramp to me. There were two kinda hard parts with the flying meanies that shoot things, the one that shoots the four way darts and the homing glowy ball shooter. But once I got inside the temple the platforming was pretty simple. Not gonna say I mind but I think cutting up action/maze elements with simple platforming is more palatable, at least to me. I feel like the art could use a little work, rounding edges etc but it was at least nice to a change, I think this was a new tileset, I'm not as long of a player as most people here. Anyway it was a fine level but it didn't strike me as much as the other two.

Klämrisk - Find Home
There was a lot of really cool stuff in this level. The alternate paths are often so simply in your face that it's really hard to tell which way is the correct way sometimes. And I like that. I have a few complaints that the only real gameplay was the repetitious fridge traveseral (but who needs jump/dodge/duck/dive/dodge to make a good game?) I think the alternate, secret paths play against the game a bit because of the repititious fridgness. I also felt like this was incomplete in some ways. I can't tell if it was, but just poking around in the folder for the level I found cutscenes that I never did find while playing, so maybe there's even more I'm missing? It was difficult for me to tell if I'd gotten everything even after opening up the level in the editor. Anyway, this level felt a lot like ride rather than a level. Something that just drags you through experiences and interesting, crazy, crap to show you a good time. The dream/nightmare wakeup, along with the sharp pixel art reminded me of that south park episode City on the Edge of Forever with the fake clips and the weirdo monster and it all being a nightmare. It was a lot of fun to just load up and experience. Did you really sing that song at the end part? It's nice.

Winner
Firecat - The Tiny Planet
If this level had a story besides the tacked on cutscenes it would've been my pick hands down. I really liked the way the level worked and expanded with powerups. It wasn't too grand or epic, had a good balance of different kinds of gameplay from dodging to platforming to finding-another-way-to-get-somewhereing. I liked the use of Smashy's Tundra tileset a lot. Or maybe I just like that tileset a lot and haven't seen it that often or at all before. Anyway, this level also felt unfinished, not just because of the story but because of the small portion just before the center and the center itself, or maybe this is just due to it not having a story that those parts just felt empty. Maybe if there were a story reason explaining that. I don't know. The level reminded me a lot of how I felt when I started playing Knytt Stories levels a long time ago and I really like that feeling. I also really liked how it looped but each level of the loop was shorter because it was deeper down, it was an excellent touch to an entirely looping planet. That's the touch that sealed it for me. Even without the story, it was something that honestly made me feel a little stupider for not intrinsicaly understanding and when I did get it, I thought it was just great.

It was really close between Find Home and The Tiny Planet. They're both well worth playing. EndLoop is fun too but the other two stand out much more for me. Great job by everyone. Now, please do better than I did. Firecat, you're our only hope.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 07:10:27 by plural »

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #788 on: September 12, 2012, 12:51:35 »
Editing posts has the unfortunate side effect of not displaying the thread has updated. Has everyone seen their feedback?

« Reply #789 on: September 12, 2012, 17:50:53 »
Good call Sergio - I had no idea the results were in.

Ok, thanks for the feedback about the game. I guess the general feeling was...not fun enough? Or confusing? Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

Firecat, congrats. Your game was really elaborate. I look forward to the next competition.

Offline Marximillian

• I don't hate Swedes, what are you implying exactly
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: September 12, 2012, 23:42:14 »
Huh. I could have sworn it used to say September of 2013. Oh well, I guess.
x

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #791 on: September 13, 2012, 14:12:31 »
I have a few complaints that the only real gameplay was the repetitious fridge traveseral (but who needs jump/dodge/duck/dive/dodge to make a good game?) I think the alternate, secret paths play against the game a bit because of the repititious fridgness.
I think you've missed a ?boss? fight in a cave. For me Klämrisk's level was much better than Dave's and Firecat's.

« Reply #792 on: September 18, 2012, 21:31:36 »
Soooo.....what's the new competition? I want some redemption  ;)

« Reply #793 on: October 02, 2012, 17:37:24 »
Still no competition?? What's up with that? Just announce something.

Offline ixMarcel

• I'll get you during my next save game!
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: October 02, 2012, 18:29:26 »
I will start a competition:
Night themed level:
 *It must be enviromental level
 *At least 20 screens
 *Of course the level must be at night
 *Custom objects are welcome (Animated stars, moon. Epic, peacefull music, etc.)
 *If you still don't know what I mean - My level "Dream" can be your inspiration.
At the moment there is no deadline. Good luck!  C)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 18:33:50 by ixMarcel »