KS Level Competition

• 841 Replies

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
Re: KS Level Competition
« Reply #750 on: July 13, 2012, 19:55:17 »
Here is my bad level!

ixMarcel, I'm afraid I couldn't resist the urge to play your level. You are an expert of frustrating, awful gameplay.

Offline PeppyHare4000

• My time in this forum is over...
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: July 14, 2012, 05:29:55 »
Okay. I played both of your levels. The Winner will be announced tomorrow. If anybody is finishing a level and absolutely needs more time, Say so on this thread and I will offer two days but you will get a slight score penalty if you don't hand it in my tomorrow!

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #752 on: July 14, 2012, 21:39:37 »
Here is my bad level!

ixMarcel, I'm afraid I couldn't resist the urge to play your level. You are an expert of frustrating, awful gameplay.

I don't want to influence PeppyHare's decision, but seriously, that wasn't bad, that was great! I was so curious to see what's going to happen that I refrained from using the cheat, even.

Offline PeppyHare4000

• My time in this forum is over...
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: July 15, 2012, 02:40:20 »
Okay. I guess this is a good time as ever to end the competition.

Sergiocornaga won this competition! Be sure to stick around and set up the next theme for the competition!

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #754 on: July 15, 2012, 03:20:47 »
Sergio, that was pretty amazing. Although the music annoys me a bit, I'm not sure what you used for the music but I recognize some of those samples from playing with a "DJ" software quite a few years ago :P But I bet it was intentional.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #755 on: July 15, 2012, 16:04:41 »
Thanks, everyone! I'm a little shocked to have won; ixMarcel's level was one of the most compellingly terrible things I've ever experienced.

I'm not sure what you used for the music but I recognize some of those samples from playing with a "DJ" software quite a few years ago :P

Yep! Most of the tracks were 'composed' using a 7-year-old Sony Ericsson v600i cellphone (it only allows the arrangement of pre-made melodies and beats) and then run through GXSCC, a program notorious for being responsible for hundreds of fraudulent/plagiarised '8-bit' remixes on YouTube.

Anyway, my idea for the next competition is:

SINGLE ROOM

Make a level for Knytt Stories (or a Knytt Stories mod) that takes place within one room.

The deadline is July 30.

Offline Firecat

• Every bit is important.
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: July 18, 2012, 00:55:51 »
With "Single Room" you mean that the level must be one screen of size, or that the level must have a "single room" setting?

Anyways, i made something: http://knyttlevels.com/levels/Firecat - Tiny and Really Werid Maze.knytt.bin
There's 110011 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, Those who don't, and those who confuse it with ASCII.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #757 on: July 18, 2012, 01:14:39 »
With "Single Room" you mean that the level must be one screen of size, or that the level must have a "single room" setting?

It's a pretty restrictive theme, so I leave that open for interpretation... consider the former 'hard mode' and the latter 'easy mode'. I'm nowhere near a copy of KS right now, but I'm guessing you went for the former. If so, I'm very impressed!

Offline Healy

• View Profile
« Reply #758 on: July 18, 2012, 03:18:26 »
Firecat, your level is way too hard for me to beat.

Anyway, the current contest made me think of a previous one screen game I had done, called Angry Sonata. I figured the least I could do was make a sort of sequel for the current contest. It's called Peaceful Sonata, natch. (I make make another game for this contest, if I feel like it.)

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #759 on: July 18, 2012, 03:47:52 »
I'm trying to do something for this, not sure if I'll ever finish anything though. I find it extremely hard to work with other people's tilesets, so I always have to make new ones myself, which consumes way too much time.

Offline plural

• twice shy
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: July 20, 2012, 12:54:48 »
My "hard mode" entry:

Day 901 6.96MB

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #761 on: July 21, 2012, 13:04:35 »
I'd been pondering an idea for this competition. Now that I've seen Plural's level, I'm bringing my A-game. >) I'm about halfway finished.

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #762 on: July 21, 2012, 21:24:46 »
I'm a bit surprised that I actually didn't give up on this, because it was a bit frustrating to make. I went with the "easy" way, but god damn that 3 shift per screen limit, it can really make things awkward.
I tried to make it very atmospheric, but nothing as good as what plural managed to do with a single screen.
And I used Imaddo's tileset to save some time.

Download from Mediafire

Download from Knyttlevels
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 21:37:05 by Raicuparta »

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #763 on: July 22, 2012, 03:58:11 »
I have really enjoyed the entries so far. I can tell deciding on a winner will be tough!

Raicuparta: Your level misspells bucket as buket and bucked. I assume that's unintentional?

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #764 on: July 22, 2012, 11:56:04 »
I have really enjoyed the entries so far. I can tell deciding on a winner will be tough!

Raicuparta: Your level misspells bucket as buket and bucked. I assume that's unintentional?
Yes, that's unintentional. I should have waited a bit before uploading the level, there are probably a few other mistakes, but I'm not gonna bother fixing it right now.