KS Level Competition

• 841 Replies

Offline PeppyHare4000

• My time in this forum is over...
    • View Profile
Re: KS Level Competition
« Reply #675 on: October 25, 2011, 18:52:44 »
There has been absolutely no activity for a long time in this thread...
Unless talps wants the competition to go on, i am going to put a new one up...

Although i doubt anybody would work on this competition either...

Competition: 3 Gemstones

Main Criteria: The level must involve three gemstones of sorts and sections where they are hidden. The three gemstones must retain the same shape but must be differentiated by either different colors or different symbols on the gemstone. You are most likely going to have to make a custom tileset for the three gemstones. There will also be extra criteria for better points gain.

3 Gemstones: Worth 20 Points…
Non-Linear Concept: 8 Points
Custom Tilesets (Aside from gemstones): 3 per tileset (You don’t get any more points after 5 tilesets)
Custom Music: 5 points
Challenge Factor: 3 points
Alternative Endings:  4 points (Points vary on the storyline of the endings)
Storyline: 5 points

Overall: 60 Points

Bonus Points: These points come in after the regular score has been calculated. Although the Bonus Points will NOT put your score past 60 but it is good for a guaranteed chance of winning. Getting these points is based on punctuation... If two contestants have 60 points, I will make a judgement who has won (If a person would of had 63 points while the other had 61, the one with 63 would win)
Bonus Point Gains:
+ 3 Bonus Points if you have your level in 1 week or earlier before the deadline
+ 2 Bonus Points if you have your level in 4-6 days earlier before the deadline
+ 1 Bonus Point if you have your level in 1-3 days earlier before the deadline
+ 1 Bonus Point if i really enjoyed the level you made.

Penalties: These points will take away from your regular score. This is if you have flaws or glitches in your level. The worse the glitch, the worse the penalty...
Level Handed in Late: -1 for 1 Day, -3 for 2 Days, -6 for 3-5 Days, -10 for 6-7 Days, Disqualification for 8 days or over
SGE (Slight Graphical Error): -2 Per SGE
Wallswims: -8 For First Wallswim, -3 For all other Wallswims
Void (Access to Empty Screens): -15 for First Void, -6 For all other Voids

Ranking: These only apply for Regular Points and the penalty that takes the points away. Bonus Points are only meant for tiebreakers.
The Rankings you can get are the following: E, D, C, B, A, S (E being the worst, S being the best)
Getting an S Rank is quite difficult, you need a perfect score to get an S Rank (All 60 Points)

Deadline: November 24th (30 Days)

Talps, i will cancel this competition if you still want to continue yours...

Offline jetio4

• :hug:
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: October 26, 2011, 01:05:34 »
Ouch. Sorry Peppy, I won't have access to my laptop for a bit. Tilesets/music aren't things I'll do well on anyways.
Hey there Delilah, what's it like in New York City, I'm a thousand miles away but girl tonight you look so pretty, yes you do~<br /><br />Time Square can't shine as bright as you, I swear it's true~

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: October 28, 2011, 01:51:34 »
Nah, I accept that mine died its death. I just started a job and don't have a lot of time right now but I might give this ago... See how things go.

Offline PeppyHare4000

• View Profile
« Reply #678 on: November 24, 2011, 17:48:16 »
Okay, Absolutely no activity at all and the Deadline has just past... :sigh:

Okay, anybody can make the competition now... First Come, First Serve!

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #679 on: November 25, 2011, 04:52:57 »
Okay, anybody can make the competition now... First Come, First Serve!

Very well. I've got a theme that I think could pull in some entries, hopefully ending this dry spell!

CORRUPTION

Make a Knytt Stories level around the theme of corruption. How you interpret this is up to you! You could go for data corruption and make a yohji-style level (especially easy if you're yohji). You could go for moral corruption and make a tribute to Kill Kitler! You could interpret the theme in other ways, or in multiple ways! It's up to you.

Due date: December 30. Hopefully this will give everyone enough time considering all the holidays and whatnot.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #680 on: December 10, 2011, 15:53:33 »
I worry that this competition too will go without entries. Will nothing save the KS Level Competition?

Offline Healy

• View Profile
« Reply #681 on: December 11, 2011, 05:29:52 »
Actually, I'm working on a level for this right now! Which reminds me, is it alright if I use some of your music from Nine Days? I'm especially thinking of using your drumbeat, and maybe some of the other tunes as well.

Offline PeppyHare4000

• View Profile
« Reply #682 on: December 11, 2011, 05:59:12 »
It is good to see that somebody is making a level for this competition.

I wouldn't be surprised if the KS Level Competition wasn't getting any levels because this Forum seems to have a big decline in visitors. I am hoping that in the Christmas Holidays, there will be more activity. Otherwise, this forum's activity doesn't seem to be going anywhere. I don't like this one bit :(

Offline LordMarzog

• [interesting text goes here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: December 11, 2011, 07:51:53 »
It is good to see that somebody is making a level for this competition.

I wouldn't be surprised if the KS Level Competition wasn't getting any levels because this Forum seems to have a big decline in visitors. I am hoping that in the Christmas Holidays, there will be more activity. Otherwise, this forum's activity doesn't seem to be going anywhere. I don't like this one bit :(

I wouldn't consider this forum or Knytt stories dead. Not yet anyways. And since my current level project is hitting a dry spell, methinks I'll try my hand at the competition. Of course, my current project does have an element of corruption in it....The plot was inspired by Portal. Basically, Juni finds herself inside a testing facility with...questionable integrity.
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
So, that might work for this competition. I'll keep working on it. 
Run the Gauntlet: Prologue | Run the Gauntlet: Part 1 I'll add more interesting stuff here when I have more interesting stuff to add. (duh)

Offline jetio4

• View Profile
« Reply #684 on: December 11, 2011, 10:05:12 »
Eh. One of the rules is that the level has to be started after the start of the competition. Just saying.
Hey there Delilah, what's it like in New York City, I'm a thousand miles away but girl tonight you look so pretty, yes you do~<br /><br />Time Square can't shine as bright as you, I swear it's true~

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #685 on: December 11, 2011, 12:33:22 »
Actually, I'm working on a level for this right now! Which reminds me, is it alright if I use some of your music from Nine Days? I'm especially thinking of using your drumbeat, and maybe some of the other tunes as well.

Of course you may! I would really like to collaborate with you properly one day, though.

Eh. One of the rules is that the level has to be started after the start of the competition. Just saying.

Good point. I'm personally more interested in this thread encouraging the creation / release of Knytt Stories levels than the competition aspect, so perhaps this is something I could let slide. In the interest of fairness, it would only be if other entrants accepted this and it didn't stop anyone else from entering. So, any objections?

LordMarzog, let me know if you think this competition would give your current project the push it needed to see release (or something along those lines) as that's the sort of thing that might encourage me to make an exception. Otherwise, I'd be happy to see something new from you.

Offline LordMarzog

• [interesting text goes here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: December 11, 2011, 22:48:49 »
I appreciate the offer Sergiocornaga. But, to be completely fair, I'll make a new level.  I got the perfect idea earlier today. I'll just make a prologue to my current project, and use it to explain the back-story of the testing facility going bad (i.e. corrupt). It will fit in the competition and give my current project something to push off of!  8)
Run the Gauntlet: Prologue | Run the Gauntlet: Part 1 I'll add more interesting stuff here when I have more interesting stuff to add. (duh)

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
« Reply #687 on: December 12, 2011, 13:17:23 »
I don't get how you all complain that nobody make competition entries and forum is dead and still keep posting new competitions.

Offline jetio4

• View Profile
« Reply #688 on: December 12, 2011, 13:42:53 »
If people come back and see no competition, they won't make a level.
If they come back and see competitions, they'll enter.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #689 on: December 12, 2011, 14:08:22 »
I appreciate the offer Sergiocornaga. But, to be completely fair, I'll make a new level.  I got the perfect idea earlier today. I'll just make a prologue to my current project, and use it to explain the back-story of the testing facility going bad (i.e. corrupt). It will fit in the competition and give my current project something to push off of!  8)

Great decision!

I don't get how you all complain that nobody make competition entries and forum is dead and still keep posting new competitions.

I feel that any actions I may or may not have taken are best explained by the philosophical poem 'Eye of the Tiger' by Survivor.