« Reply #630 on: July 20, 2011, 05:15:42 »
Now i am just getting frustrated >(

When will the results get in. My patience is running low :moody:

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
Re: KS Level Competition
« Reply #631 on: July 20, 2011, 12:03:35 »
My responses to the levels and the announcement of the winner follows. Be warned that there are slight spoilers!

-

Advanced by SecretGlitch

The graphics and music in this level are definitely the high point and are obviously exceptionally polished. Sadly, I found the level really frustrating, but most of that is due to limitations in the built-in kill tile collision detection. You were able to achieve a lot in four hours... I'd like it a lot if you tried completing levels in a short time period more often!

-

Within the Treetops by PeppyHare4000

You've managed to create quite a vast level in a fairly short time period. In terms of plot, yours was my favourite of the competition. I love the two endings, in particular the differences between them as discussed in the level thread. They may be my new two favourite Knytt Stories endings full stop. There was one jump in this I was never able to accomplish, so I'm not sure what I would have done without the cheat.

-

"without a cause" without a cause: the non-game by rhetoricstu

This is some pretty decent metafiction. I feel like it referenced something I don't know (besides Knytt Without a Cause)... at various points I thought of Dark Star and Source Code, but I don't think it's either of those things. Let me know if the plot is original, or what it alludes to if not! However, I'm not sure I can classify this as a Knytt Stories level with a clear conscience...

-

Vague Feeling by Headgrinder

I highly enjoyed the art and music for this, but the level design was pretty rough. On my first playthrough I became stuck in an area from which there was no escape (even though there was a savepoint there), which was kind of annoying. I'm interested in what the story was (what was that smell?), unless you'd prefer to leave it to the imagination, of course.

-

The Lighthouse by Ultigonio

This has definitely been improved from the original release. I love the visual tricks, such as the lights and the fog fading in and out. The use of the fog to obscure objects is a unique touch. My one issue is that it wasn't completely clear when the key had been picked up since the sign text and shift were still there. The dynamic music you created is really nice, too. It's a shame it doesn't transition that well in the Knytt Stories engine...

-

Explorarium by rainulous

Your level features some of the prettiest use of the default tilesets / objects I've seen in a Knytt Stories level. Others have called the visuals bland and predictible, but I really didn't think this was the case. I loved the way you conveyed the solution to the maze. Unfortunately, there were quite a few bugs, both small graphical errors and void screens. x1005y1012 was the biggest one. Also, the extreme level of backtracking gets fairly frustrating by the end... by the time you get the eye there's very little indication that you're meant to be searching for new passages in previous areas, and the one passage you're most likely to find (x992y1003) seems to serve no purpose other than a slight annoyance.

-

To conclude, I'm very pleased at the variety this competition produced and I'm glad I was able to play all your levels. Although I enjoyed them all, the level I feel was best and captured the theme well was Advanced by SecretGlitch. I look forward to the competition you decide to host!

This was a long post, so apologies for any errors...

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #632 on: July 20, 2011, 13:38:49 »
Yeah, it's over!
On my first playthrough I became stuck in an area from which there was no escape (even though there was a savepoint there), which was kind of annoying.

Wha?  Trapped in... OOOOOOh yeeeaaaaah.  I gave up trying to make an exit to that area until I figured out the rest of the level, then I forgot to revisit it.   Oops.  I guess that would make the save spot an insidious plot of evil. 

Offline PeppyHare4000

• My time in this forum is over...
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: July 20, 2011, 14:21:08 »
My responses to the levels and the announcement of the winner follows. Be warned that there are slight spoilers!

-

Advanced by SecretGlitch

The graphics and music in this level are definitely the high point and are obviously exceptionally polished. Sadly, I found the level really frustrating, but most of that is due to limitations in the built-in kill tile collision detection. You were able to achieve a lot in four hours... I'd like it a lot if you tried completing levels in a short time period more often!

-

Within the Treetops by PeppyHare4000

You've managed to create quite a vast level in a fairly short time period. In terms of plot, yours was my favourite of the competition. I love the two endings, in particular the differences between them as discussed in the level thread. They may be my new two favourite Knytt Stories endings full stop. There was one jump in this I was never able to accomplish, so I'm not sure what I would have done without the cheat.

-

"without a cause" without a cause: the non-game by rhetoricstu

This is some pretty decent metafiction. I feel like it referenced something I don't know (besides Knytt Without a Cause)... at various points I thought of Dark Star and Source Code, but I don't think it's either of those things. Let me know if the plot is original, or what it alludes to if not! However, I'm not sure I can classify this as a Knytt Stories level with a clear conscience...

-

Vague Feeling by Headgrinder

I highly enjoyed the art and music for this, but the level design was pretty rough. On my first playthrough I became stuck in an area from which there was no escape (even though there was a savepoint there), which was kind of annoying. I'm interested in what the story was (what was that smell?), unless you'd prefer to leave it to the imagination, of course.

-

The Lighthouse by Ultigonio

This has definitely been improved from the original release. I love the visual tricks, such as the lights and the fog fading in and out. The use of the fog to obscure objects is a unique touch. My one issue is that it wasn't completely clear when the key had been picked up since the sign text and shift were still there. The dynamic music you created is really nice, too. It's a shame it doesn't transition that well in the Knytt Stories engine...

-

Explorarium by rainulous

Your level features some of the prettiest use of the default tilesets / objects I've seen in a Knytt Stories level. Others have called the visuals bland and predictible, but I really didn't think this was the case. I loved the way you conveyed the solution to the maze. Unfortunately, there were quite a few bugs, both small graphical errors and void screens. x1005y1012 was the biggest one. Also, the extreme level of backtracking gets fairly frustrating by the end... by the time you get the eye there's very little indication that you're meant to be searching for new passages in previous areas, and the one passage you're most likely to find (x992y1003) seems to serve no purpose other than a slight annoyance.

-

To conclude, I'm very pleased at the variety this competition produced and I'm glad I was able to play all your levels. Although I enjoyed them all, the level I feel was best and captured the theme well was Advanced by SecretGlitch. I look forward to the competition you decide to host!

This was a long post, so apologies for any errors...

Like i said, SecretGlitch would win. I might make more of these type of levels depending on things. It is funny how you like the plot the best because i didn't put my best effort for that. That was for the level.

I am guessing that where you had to use the cheat was...
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Anyways, i had a good run but i was not the winner.

SecretGlitch... Give us a good competition. :D

Offline rainulous

• I never picked up the key.
    • View Profile
    • Hartje Music
« Reply #634 on: July 20, 2011, 14:31:27 »
I tried some things with my level... that I shouldn't have tried in my first level. And forgot to fix the bugs I knew were there.
And Advanced is one of my favorite levels, so I think it's great that it won.
Thanks for the stars, everyone!

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #635 on: July 20, 2011, 15:44:48 »
I am guessing that where you had to use the cheat was...

Anyways, i had a good run but i was not the winner.

Actually I think it was here:

Looking back on it, maybe I lacked the powers needed to get back up, but I can't think of any other path I could have taken at that point.

You might not be the winner, but you made a seriously good level for this. Be proud anyway!

Offline PeppyHare4000

• View Profile
« Reply #636 on: July 20, 2011, 15:50:23 »
Oh... that is just a very precise jump. You must jump off from the right edge just as you are about to fall to get it right.

I am not bummed that i lost or anything but i had a competition planned...
It was kind of difficult to make a level like that since i get uncomfortable if i level edit for too long.
It feels like i rushed this level. Don't question me but i feel it could use more challenge...

So yes, your competition concept made it simple for me to make a level so i give you props for that...
If you like my levels... Be sure to wait for future projects coming up. I have two in mind so far (Big level and Extraordinary sized Level)

Also, i might make something similar to Within the Treetops except it will either involve lakes, caverns, skies, mines, canyons and deserts... I might make a mini-series thanks to this idea...
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 15:52:34 by PeppyHare4000 »

« Reply #637 on: July 20, 2011, 15:53:02 »
Man this was a really strong turn-out, and some pretty darn good levels.

I'll get back to y'all with a competition idea as soon as I think of a good one up.
SG's difficult KS levels:
Very Hard: Dark Sea, Industral Trap.
Lunatic: Dark Sea 2, Going Left.
Very Lunatic: Safety 1, 2, and 3.
Misc: AdvancedAmidst the Clouds, Candy Town.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #638 on: July 20, 2011, 15:56:23 »
Oh... that is just a very precise jump. You must jump off from the right edge just as you are about to fall to get it right.

Hmm, I might have been thinking about a different area. I thought maybe I was attempting it without one of the jump powerups, but I tried that now and it seems obviously impossible, whereas with both of them I can do it fairly easily. Who knows what jump I really meant? Sorry I can't remember...

Offline PeppyHare4000

• View Profile
« Reply #639 on: July 20, 2011, 16:06:27 »

Hmm, I might have been thinking about a different area. I thought maybe I was attempting it without one of the jump powerups, but I tried that now and it seems obviously impossible, whereas with both of them I can do it fairly easily. Who knows what jump I really meant? Sorry I can't remember...

either way, i am glad you liked the level but don't expect me to make my levels easier though...

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #640 on: July 20, 2011, 16:15:36 »
either way, i am glad you liked the level but don't expect me to make my levels easier though...

I don't! I try not to let difficulty influence me while judging, either, if you're interested...

« Reply #641 on: July 21, 2011, 01:44:13 »
New contest:
CLAUSTROPHOBIA

Deadline: Three weeks from now, August 10th.

The goal is to make a level that feels quite claustrophobic, having most of it's content occurring in very tight corridors or very small spaces.

It must be:
  • A challenge of any difficulty.
  • NO MAZES! The fun is making cramped obstacles!
  • Fits the aforementioned theme of claustrophobia.

No other conditions beyond that. I'll judge accordingly on all other merits. Good luck!

Offline PeppyHare4000

• View Profile
« Reply #642 on: July 21, 2011, 03:48:48 »
New contest:
CLAUSTROPHOBIA

Deadline: Three weeks from now, August 10th.

The goal is to make a level that feels quite claustrophobic, having most of it's content occurring in very tight corridors or very small spaces.

It must be:
  • A challenge of any difficulty.
  • NO MAZES! The fun is making cramped obstacles!
  • Fits the aforementioned theme of claustrophobia.

No other conditions beyond that. I'll judge accordingly on all other merits. Good luck!

I might enter this, i might not enter this... Depends on what my laziness decides...

What do you mean no mazes?... Does this mean the level has to be linear...
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 04:10:56 by PeppyHare4000 »

« Reply #643 on: July 24, 2011, 20:10:11 »
The level can be nonlinear, but I didn't want an outright maze as in all you're doing is navigating little pathways that go to dead ends all the time because that's too boring and too easy to do.

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: July 30, 2011, 01:10:51 »
Ah, i just had an idea for this but I doubt I'd have time to make anything now. Still, maybe I'll give it a go.