KS Level Competition

• 841 Replies
Re: KS Level Competition
« Reply #405 on: October 15, 2010, 08:36:16 »
Like I said, I could not do justice to caevstroy's rules. Haha!

As for gameplay, I will rate all categories based on how they relate to gameplay. For me, gameplay is always #1 since, well, this is a game ;)

For example, if you put in a bunch of random frog animations and use a crappy (but original) tileset, I will probably give you 5/25 for custom objects (depending on how sweet your frogs are) and 1/5 for the tileset bonus. However, if you make a rocking new custom object villian and place him over a fire-shooting flower to make an epic new villian that I need to avoid, then I will probably give you 15-25/25.

I'm going to update my original rulepost to reflect this. However, seeing all these rules together makes this competition look really tough. If you guys have any suggestions or feedback, I'm totally openminded. Post your ideas.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #406 on: October 15, 2010, 22:40:04 »
If I were to make a level for this competition, then I wouldn't go for 110 points. I'd pick the points I want to earn and build the best level I can around them. But, I'm not entering.

Offline Firecat

• Every bit is important.
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: October 15, 2010, 23:00:39 »
I think im in.
There's 110011 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, Those who don't, and those who confuse it with ASCII.

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: October 16, 2010, 00:50:02 »
I was wanting to enter a competition but I can't see myself in this, not in the least because my KS skills don't stretch as far as Custom Objects. To my mind, themes and rules for a competition should encourage creativity and make the designer think of ideas that they otherwise wouldn't. They shouldn't be obstacles that the designer has to overcome, and yours feel like obstacles.

Also, I'm just thinking back to Purple Pineapple's level competition that also had a high number of fairly pointless rules (no offence PP) that got exactly no entries at all.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #409 on: October 16, 2010, 08:53:27 »
I'm just going to say that I'm fine with this competition in its current form and I plan to enter if I have time. Unfortunately, it coincides with exams, but it seems to take me less time to complete a Knytt Stories level than most, so maybe I'll be able to slot it in.

« Reply #410 on: October 19, 2010, 12:16:22 »
IT IS I!!! RHETORIC STU!

I HAVE RETURNED!

i see you are trying to outwit me caevstroy! never mind - I accept the challenge! I would gladly accept a three point handicap, just to prove how great i am!

BEHOLD! MY COMPLEATED GAEM!

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?s8e6tk98t2e13lq

now, since I have made a perfect game and with weeks to spare, I will spend the rest of the month cackling villanously.

hahaHHAHAahhaha

« Reply #411 on: October 21, 2010, 01:04:23 »
Well, that one's going to be tricky to score...

Good use of wallswims.

« Reply #412 on: October 21, 2010, 03:28:27 »
Ok this is hard, because it's fantastically awful but doesn't include anything we asked for. To be fair to everyone I am just going to list the scores in order of my rating scheme, and try to give you as much as possible

1. shifts: 1   -  ok you had one shift, but it was pointless
2. umbrella: 0 - not used
3. enemy/traps: 0  - none

4. advertisements: 1   (i think you tipped your hat to the prosthetics industry)
5. banner image at the end: 0  It's the opposite of what i asked for.
6. humorous storyline or occasional dialogue: 2.5  - the storyline really spoke to my left or right testicle, i can't figure out which. People really don't converse with my genitalia often enough. However the story was simplistic and a bit lacking in thought, i can't give you more than half
7. broken or buggy: 3.5 points - it was certainly buggy and awful, but, the gameplay was too linear, it lacked something

bonus points: ZERO, NO CUSTOM MUSIC

total: 8 points

i think dave's going to find it difficult to give any marks however, you've done none of the things he's asked for. you may need to rely on "communal love", which sounds gross

« Reply #413 on: October 21, 2010, 23:02:27 »
Haha - It's all about "communal love," man.

If anyone wants to send in a score (out of 10), you can post it here or send it in a private message. At the end, I'll summarize all the feedback.

Offline Firecat

• View Profile
« Reply #414 on: October 23, 2010, 20:16:33 »
Note to cavestroy: it its okay to use CO's to simulate that juni its on the floor. But she's really falling in the "backstage"(People like Egomassive knows what i'm talking about).
And, it it's okay to use "Killing tiles" in what its supposed to be solid?
There's 110011 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, Those who don't, and those who confuse it with ASCII.

« Reply #415 on: October 24, 2010, 13:51:00 »
ok simply put

I'll employ three tests, moving into things, trying to climb things and jumping.   
- if i move into something and die, fine i don't care, unless some npc is impeded by it. If i move into some place and can't move past it for whatever reason, i'll label it a solid.
- If there is an object/area such that if i climb, the climbing animation/sound is triggered, that's a climb. So i suspect it will be impossible to use the up button because then juni is climbing and must be on some solid
-If i press the jump button and it (non-mid-air-single-use) jumps, this indicates i am on a solid object. However if i walk into some teleportation chain that moves in an arc over a bottomless pit then, can't say antthing really

if anything seems suspicious i'll check layer 3 or for e.g. locks, which are banned

i'm not really sure what you said you were going to try to do but if you are unsure please describe in more detail

Offline Firecat

• View Profile
« Reply #416 on: October 24, 2010, 18:19:31 »
Well, lets just say that the level never uses the third layer, and doesn't have invisible solid blocks, the solid blocks from bank 15, keylocks(It does, hovewer, have a meaningless key) or code-activated doors.

I think i will have it for the next weekend.

« Reply #417 on: October 25, 2010, 11:21:24 »
total: 8 points

i think dave's going to find it difficult to give any marks however, you've done none of the things he's asked for. you may need to rely on "communal love", which sounds gross

Gah! You have not beaten me yet caevstroy! Perhaps some other entry will score lower!

muahahaha

(smoke bombs etc, disappearing again)

Offline Firecat

• View Profile
« Reply #418 on: October 27, 2010, 05:40:58 »
I...
IZ...
DONE!

Clicky :D

« Reply #419 on: October 27, 2010, 09:12:27 »
Ah, i see what you've done. That's fine. you could also have had a 4-way looping room and the screen full of manual shifts instead of a custom object. Was your way intentionally buggy? i preferred it actually

hmm... i think i'll wait for the rest of the entries to come in before i compare them. I know i marked rhetoric stu's first but ... meh? i think it'd be easier to mark that way

anyway is it just sergio next, are there no other entrants?