« Reply #390 on: October 11, 2010, 00:17:08 »
your avatar is effing wierd. i'm going to have nightmares

however your game is a genius concept

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
Re: KS Level Competition
« Reply #391 on: October 13, 2010, 07:10:55 »
The deadline has passed and the results are in!

I really enjoyed the entries. ...A cleverly implemented giant black urchin, being able to play soccer, a level made entirely of locks and keys, and an inspirational shift-based secret dance party thing (by inspirational I mean that I may steal the technique)... There were definitely unique settings and situations to be found! Now, on with the results of my secret judging process:

Rhetoric Stu - Not on my watch receives 83 points!
caevstroy - fantsy land receives 92 points!
DaveGermainGames - Key's Curse also receives 92 points!

A tie! The two of you will be forced to collaborate on the next competition in terms of theme, judging, etc. I'll let you two work out the details.

Rhetoric Stu, I am sorry that you are the only entrant who did not win. Hopefully this will at least encourage you to try even harder next time to defeat your alleged rival caevstroy.

« Reply #392 on: October 13, 2010, 07:27:16 »
Very well. I accept the judgement as fair and impartial, and would like to see my bribe money refunded soon.

Cavestroy: You may have sort-of won this time - but in victory, you shall be forced to co-operate with someone you probably have a degree of respect for, and have lots of fun in the process! How ironic!

Farewell, Caev Stroy! We shall meet again! muahahahaaaa *(vanishes in a puff of smoke)*

« Reply #393 on: October 13, 2010, 11:46:46 »
That's great. Thanks for the honor. Caev Stroy and I will put together a new competition idea in a couple days.

Rhetoric Stu: Here's a close-up of my avatar. She's called "Ugly Juni." I think I might use this one as my signature banner.

Offline PeppyHare4000

• My time in this forum is over...
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: October 13, 2010, 14:04:01 »
Sorry i couldn't finish the level in time but it gave me good motivation to make a level. Thanks for that though.

« Reply #395 on: October 13, 2010, 14:26:27 »
heheh wallswims.

Rhetoric Stu: I will get you one day! Perhaps sooner than you think! Or later, depending on when you're available....

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: October 13, 2010, 22:23:50 »
I think you guys should make 'Wallswims' your competition theme.

« Reply #397 on: October 14, 2010, 00:01:56 »
actually i thought about that but maybe the gameplay would be too slow

« Reply #398 on: October 14, 2010, 08:52:38 »
ok the rule of the entry is, there is no solid object in your level whatsoever. if you have a solid object, including the ground, you will be (edit:) given zero for the first three criteria. see my next post

i had a list of criteria for scoring but i assumed the forum saved my outgoing PMs. it doesn't.

therefore (edit:) I will be confusing everyone needlessly
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 00:59:34 by caevstroy »

« Reply #399 on: October 14, 2010, 11:49:50 »
Ok - As caevstroy implied, we're going to share the scoring. So I will assigned 50 points (+5 bonus) and so will caevstroy. Then we'll just add up the points and see who wins. Hopefully, this will make it interesting.

The due date is one month from today: Nov 14 at whatever o'clock.

For my part, I will not penalize people for solid objects - do whatever you want in that department. I care about...

Custom Objects - 25 points - cool animations, overlay villians with new villians, etc.
Flags - 10 points - use flags instead of keys.
Communal Love - 10 points - Anyone can send me their opinion of the submissions with a 0-10 score.
FlagOff Powers - 5 points - Removing Juni's powers (such as the umbrella) with a "flag off" command.
Bonus +5: Non-Nifflas Tilesets - Nifflas' tilesets are great but not for this contest. Anyone who totally avoids Nifflas tilesets gets +5.

UPDATE: As for gameplay, I will rate all categories based on how they relate to gameplay. For me, gameplay is always #1 since, well, this is a game ;)

For example, if you put in a bunch of random frog animations and use a crappy (but original) tileset, I will probably give you 5/25 for custom objects (depending on how sweet your frogs are) and 1/5 for the tileset bonus. However, if you make a rocking new custom object villian and place him over a fire-shooting flower to make an epic new villian that I need to avoid, then I will probably give you 15-25/25.

Caevstroy's rules can be found below.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 08:39:46 by dave.germain »

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #400 on: October 14, 2010, 13:53:35 »
i had a list of criteria for scoring but i assumed the forum saved my outgoing PMs. it doesn't.

therefore dave will be listing this

Can you repost caevstroy's rules please dave.germain?

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #401 on: October 14, 2010, 15:18:36 »
Eh. I don't understand what the new competition's theme is. "No solid objects" sounds creative, but I doubt it will be fun to implement and/or to play. It would have to be something really boring, like Juni falling all the time, or Juni stuck in an animation all the time, etc. At least I can't think of anything particularly interesting right now. And anyway one of the judges doesn't care for the rule.

As for Dave's post, the grading system is very odd. It looks like I can make a very crappy tileset (say, two blocks, one red and one green), animate some frogs, then put it all on a single badly designed screen with a flag and a shift that takes your powers off. That's 45 points according to the system? Aren't you going to at least grade the gameplay?

Offline Gorfinhofin

• Totally Sane Storyteller
  • Bugbears are cool.
    • View Profile
    • My World Famous Grilled Let's Plays
« Reply #402 on: October 14, 2010, 17:12:40 »
It could be something like Pro Umbrella Jumping or maybe an obstacle course where you have to float on updrafts a lot.

When something smells, it's usually my monitor.

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #403 on: October 14, 2010, 17:25:28 »
It could be something like Pro Umbrella Jumping or maybe an obstacle course where you have to float on updrafts a lot.

I haven't thought of that. Well, assuming Pro Umbrella Jumping only involves evading enemies and/or instant death tiles and objects... eh.

« Reply #404 on: October 15, 2010, 00:57:58 »
ok sorry people - i am posting my assessment scheme now.

i still want to be able to award points for crazy stuff so i think i'll remove the disqualification - however, if i notice you have solid objects you will get zero for the first three criteria (these are in bold), because my assessment of these will be focused around the idea of no floors

sorry if this causes confusion since i didn't think far enough ahead about that, i should edit that first post

my rating is as follows

1. good shift utilisation, pehaps giving the ability to maneuver into different areas, and save progress(note, if it's intentionally awful/buggy but otherwise brilliantly planned you will not be penalised): 10
2. forcing the use of umbrella in specific ways: 5 points
3. clever enemy/traps placement: 10

4. gratuitous product placement / advertisements: 7 points (scored on a scale from "barely utilised" to "annoyingly gratuitous")
5. A nice banner image at the end where i am proclaimed superior to rhetoric stu in every way: 3 points
6. humorous storyline or occasional dialogue: 5 points
7. parts of the game that are broken or buggy: 5 points

bonus points: bizzare custom music with samples of barnyard creatures. 5 points

if there is a tie the contestants will enter "trial by stone" and be forced to create a one-screen "comic strip" level with awful punchlines and ms paint graphics. They will be based on the famous ad "hey billy why does your mom let you eat two weiners?" the most disastrous one will be declared the winner.

if there is no tie and people want to do this anyway, they can