KS Level Competition

• 841 Replies

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Re: KS Level Competition
« Reply #240 on: May 11, 2010, 01:02:46 »
Sorry for the delay, busy Mother's Day weekend here in the States. I face-palmed when I saw the screens I didn't put Ripen's tiles on. There are actually 5 more of just sky and nothing else. For these violations I would have gladly accepted a disqualification. Anyhow, I won so here is my acceptance speech:

I'd like to thank Ripen for making such an inspiring and versatile tileset. I'd like to thank Grimwit for formulating the rules for this contest and, of course, for declaring me the winner. Most of all I'd like to thank the little people, the ones who stand about 17 pixels high. Without them none of this would have been possible. Thank you.

Now, for the new contest:

Real Life deadline May 28, 2010

I'm basing this contest on a theme. The theme is Real Life. The idea behind it is that most games put you in outrageous or unrealistic situation. (e.g. saving the world, saving the universe,  saving princesses from dinosaurs.) There aren't many games which focus on the events we humans can or will actually experience in our lives. They say the best literature/songs are made when you write what you know. Does the same hold true for video games? Let's find out.

Your level can be any category as long as it adheres to the theme. It can be something as simple as an environmental in an Earthly landscape. It can be as complex as a puzzle about fixing an automobile. It can be a funny, heartwarming, or tear-jerking story from your own experiences. It's up to you. To enable you to make a winning level I'm going to detail the scoring system I'll use.

• 10 points: Conveys the theme Real Life
  • 10 points: Quality of game play. (e.g. no voids, no glitches, etc.)
  • 5 points: Graphics. (Does it look good? Does it look flat when it shouldn't? etc.)
  • 5 Points: Originality. (New story? New music? New graphics or custom objects? Creative level design? It doesn't matter as long as it's original.)
  • 3 points: Sound. (I don't expect you to make original songs under a short time frame. I'm going to grade on appropriateness of the music and the ambiance. Does it fit the scene?)
  • 2 points: Did I, egomassive, like it. (You can meet all the criteria above and still make a level that simply isn't enjoyable. This is my personal preferences coming into play. Don't worry too much about it, I'm quite open minded.)

I think the 2 week deadlines are a little short, and since I'm launching this contest on a Monday it may take a few days before people notice it. Therefore, The deadline is two weeks from Friday. That means it is due on May 28, 2010.

Offline Healy

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 11, 2010, 02:43:18 »
Hmm, this'll be pretty tough. I'll see what I can do.

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 11, 2010, 05:05:29 »
But who can beat googoogjoob's Capitalism when it comes to realism? ;3

Offline Healy

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 11, 2010, 22:31:11 »
I think you might be thinking of the Dream. Or maybe not.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #245 on: May 12, 2010, 04:17:32 »
I think Flash by Googoojoob was also realistic. I don't remember the whole thing. I wasn't trying to imply there were no realistic KS levels or video games in general. They are just few and far between. Capitalism is on my list of things to do.

Sorry, if I made a lousy competition. I thought it would be different. I realize most of the standard objects aren't very realistic (e.g. bouncers, disks;) and who dies when they touch water? I intend to be lenient in these respects.

« Reply #246 on: May 12, 2010, 04:53:16 »
and who dies when they touch water?
My Knytt Stories mod has the ability to fix that. [/shamelessselfpromotion]
Lurk more.

Offline Mr. Monkey

• jolly good fellow
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 12, 2010, 06:06:48 »
you could also use water-shaped custom objects

anyway, carousel is probably goog's most realistic level
o__  o

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #248 on: May 15, 2010, 13:12:43 »
Eh. Few people can draw usable tilesets, and even fewer can draw tilesets with actual "real" things like cars and buildings. So most of us would have to rely on existing real world tilesets, which are, well, overused... anyway, I'll see what I can do, I have a few ideas. Just saying it probably won't look very original.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #249 on: May 16, 2010, 22:31:06 »
Good point yohji. I have noticed a lack of big city settings myself. One of the reasons I made the Volcanic Island set for A Knytt in Time was because I couldn't build a convincing boat with the default sets. This lack of familiar settings and objects exemplifies why I chose this contest. No one makes 'real' levels, and no one even makes 'real' tiles and objects to work with. I say no one, but there are exceptions of course.

I believe you can overcome this with a little creativity. Get lost in the woods. Perform a play. Attend a sci-fi convention. I could go on, but I won't. I don't want to stymie your creative processes with my ideas.  I know you guys can do it!

Offline Healy

• View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 23, 2010, 08:26:15 »
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 08:28:29 by Healy »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #251 on: May 23, 2010, 09:29:43 »
Great Healy! I'll go find it.

To Yohji, and any body else who may be working on this, this is the last week. Entries are due on Friday. Good luck.

Offline Healy

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 24, 2010, 22:43:00 »
C'mon guys, make some levels for this! I don't want mine to be the only entry here.

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #253 on: May 25, 2010, 10:26:04 »
I'm working on a level for this, but I don't like how it's turning out  <_<

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #254 on: May 25, 2010, 23:28:49 »
I love how the competitions got me engaged in game making, but I've decided my own projects are more important, so unless the subject happens to coincide with something I'm working on, or just looks easy and fun, I'm probably all out.