KS Level Competition

• 841 Replies
Re: KS Level Competition
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2009, 01:18:31 »
I've got an idea: the winner gets to choose the next category(s), AND their level is the basic build for the next competition, where you ADD more stuff to it. Eventually, we can make a totally AWESMOE level this way. However, this will only be applied to levels of the same category. SO, when someone starts an environmental competition, they will begin a new level entirely, but once it shifts back to this hard challenge level, we would continue off this build.
Nah. Its a good idea, but lets keep this thread a level competition, and not a community level.

Aah, but you see... this ISN'T JUST a community level, nor is it JUST a competition. It combines the two, with several different outcomes as each part is added.
But if all the entries for one round absolutely suck, you'll have a big chunk of meh in the middle of an otherwise ok level. Maybe not even that.

Wha? This thread is just a competition.
And let's end it at that.
Lurk more.

Offline Dandelion

• Yay owls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2009, 02:54:32 »
I'm in. Can there be multiple entries?

Sure, that sounds fine.
I may do this, not sure. Oh, and to clarify, it's already started right? I could start making it now?

Yes, the competition has started, and will end on the 28Th of November. I hope to be able to judge all the entries by then, but I'm not sure if I'll quite have time. I'll do my best.

Check out my tilesets!

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2009, 16:48:37 »
What about themed levels? No theme? Just hard challenge?  :huh:
Doesn't that kind of limit creativity a bit?

No. What is wrong with you?
Mostly nothing. Not now anyways. :P
Sticking to a theme limits creativity because you can't make your level about whatever you want, or in the style you want.
(Unless the theme is exactly what you wanted to do anyways, but honestly, how often does that happen?)
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2009, 19:50:19 »
What's the point with the competition if you just do a level. Like um.. You enter the competition, you can just do a level any day. I mean, it wouldn't be much of a competition if it's just do a level. You say it would limit the creativity but no. If we have a word like "flower" for example, would you think everyone would make the same kind of level? NO!

Offline Razzorman

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2009, 21:05:06 »
What's the point with the competition if you just do a level. Like um.. You enter the competition, you can just do a level any day. I mean, it wouldn't be much of a competition if it's just do a level.
Yes it would. Thats the whole beauty of it. Anyone can make a level. That is easy. However, its much harder to make a good or original level.

You say it would limit the creativity but no. If we have a word like "flower" for example, would you think everyone would make the same kind of level? NO!
When did I ever say that all levels would be the same, or even similar? That was not my point at all.
My point is that all of those levels would still all be about flowers, in a broad sense. My point is, that instead of being able to make a level however you want it to be using all of your creativity, you need to make a level that somehow relates to flowers.

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2009, 22:04:16 »
Yes it would. Thats the whole beauty of it. Anyone can make a level. That is easy. However, its much harder to make a good or original level.

Now you lost me. When was it about that anyone can make a bad level? A bad level wouldn't win the competition.

you need to make a level that somehow relates to flowers.

What's wrong with that? You don't like flowers?

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2009, 04:41:43 »
I agree with Salmoneous to an extent. A broad category like flowers doesn't limit creativity very much. Otherwise it would be a make a level compo. so long as the category isn't something like: Your level must be exactly 28 screens, each with a bigger and bigger flower in them, I don't think anything would be wrong. If the level category is flowers, and you make your level in space, draw space flowers.
Lurk more.

Offline Razzorman

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2009, 15:53:50 »
I agree with Salmoneous to an extent. A broad category like flowers doesn't limit creativity very much. Otherwise it would be a make a level compo. so long as the category isn't something like: Your level must be exactly 28 screens, each with a bigger and bigger flower in them, I don't think anything would be wrong.
Indeed. Nothing would be wrong with that.
All I'm saying is that its more limiting to have a theme for the competition, not that it is bad.

What's the point with the competition if you just do a level. Like um.. You enter the competition, you can just do a level any day. I mean, it wouldn't be much of a competition if it's just do a level.
Now you lost me. When was it about that anyone can make a bad level? A bad level wouldn't win the competition.
And that is exactly why its a good competition, silly. Only the really good levels win.

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2009, 16:36:34 »
All I'm saying is that its more limiting to have a theme for the competition, not that it is bad.

It would be good in many things. Like it would help to make the level creators to come up with ideas, not limit their creativity. And it would be easier for the judges to judge the level.

And that is exactly why its a good competition, silly. Only the really good levels win.

Now you are starting to make no sense. First you say that anyone can make a level but not good and original so that anyone can enter the competition. Now you say that the point is that really good levels win (I know that the best wins). So that it has nothing to do with what I said in the beginning just that anyone can make a level and a good level will win so you are not even arguing with me you are just saying things.

Offline Razzorman

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2009, 19:29:29 »
*headdesk
What is this I don't even...

Lets break apart this little argument piece by piece.
First, you said this:
Which I interpret as "Its easy to just make a level. Its not much of a competition then.", to which I respond something like "But its hard to make good levels, so this is a great competition."
And thats basically it. What is not to understand?

Offline Razzorman

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2009, 21:45:30 »
Now I'm just confused. What has my opinion on the theme you chose as an example got to do with anything.
By the way, you were the one who said I didn't like it. I was never even opposed to it.
I think you should go back and read my posts more carefully.

We should stop this now though, before it goes more off topic.

Offline Razzorman

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2009, 18:28:37 »
Bump for three days left. :D
I think I should start working or something.

« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2009, 20:50:58 »
Three? Oh crap. It's the 28th
Lurk more.