KS Level Competition

• 841 Replies

Offline Dandelion

• Yay owls!
    • View Profile
KS Level Competition
« on: November 05, 2009, 18:50:52 »
I like a little friendly competition sometimes, and I thought it would be fun to have a level competition. So I'm starting one. Every 3 weeks, I will choose a category and difficulty of level, as well as the minimum number of screens that level must be. Then I will pick the winner out of all the levels submitted.
There are some rules and guidelines that all entries should follow:

• Your level must be started while the contest is going on. That means no entering levels you worked on for months before the competition but just now finished, levels you never released, or your levels from the old forum. Part of the challenge is that there is a time limit, and it wouldn't be fair to those who are making levels just for the competition if someone has 100 screens already done beforehand.
  • A win tile should be accessible in the map, unless the map is a playground, in which case a win tile should not be present. Also remember when making an environmental entry not to include challenges. Meanies in places the player can't reach are OK, as are easy jumps over water, but elements that are designed in the hope the player will die there are not. Puzzles and mazes are also unacceptable. Environmental levels should not contain anything that makes progressing or moving through the level a challenge.
  • If your level does not follow the guidelines, it won't be judged, but I will send you a PM and give you a chance to fix it so it can be in the competition.
  • Please, no levels with a huge filesize. Anything over 20 MB is pushing the limit for how much I want to download.

It would also be great to have more judges. If you would like to be a judge, PM me. I also have a certain rating scale I would like to use, which I will PM to you.

Anyway, the parameters for the levels this time are:
A Hard difficulty, Challenge category level that is at least 10 screens long. The current competition will end on the 28th of November.

If anyone has questions or thinks the rules should change, post here or PM me.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 20:17:18 by Dandelion »

Check out my tilesets!

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: KS Level Competition
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 19:08:09 »
Is it an idea to have a rule for the amount of savepoints? Like, minimal 1 savepoint every 10 screens?
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Dandelion

• Yay owls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 20:02:56 »
I don't think that would really be necessary, but it's an interesting idea. If someone has too few savepoints I will tell them in the reveiw of their level. (I will be posting detailed reveiws for the levels,    I probably should have mentioned that.)

Check out my tilesets!

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 20:07:28 »
Also remember when making an environmental entry not to include challenges. Meanies in places the player can't reach are OK, as are easy jumps over water, but elements that are designed in the hope the player will die there are not.
I'm requesting that you add stuff like mazes, puzzles, etc. to that requirement. Evironmental is environmental and nothing else, and environmental levels with challenges are a pet peeve of mine.

I can also be a judge, although I might participate once or twice, in which case I'd sit out on the judging for that round. :)

Offline Dandelion

• Yay owls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 20:15:25 »
Hm, good idea. I should clarify as much as possible.
I can also be a judge, although I might participate once or twice, in which case I'd sit out on the judging for that round. :)
That would be great, but I don't have enough time to PM you right now. Not until this evening, when my brother gets off the computer.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 20:19:58 by Dandelion »

Check out my tilesets!

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 23:01:25 »
What about themed levels? No theme? Just hard challenge?  :huh:

Doesn't that kind of limit creativity a bit?
Every 3 weeks, I will choose a category and difficulty of level, as well as the minimum number of screens that level must be. Then I will pick the winner out of all the levels submitted.

Speaking of, wouldn't it be better if the winner of the previous competition chose the category and stuff for the new competition?
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 02:17:13 »
I'm in. Can there be multiple entries?
Lurk more.

Offline Razzorman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 14:13:14 »
Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I'm signing up.

Offline fred052

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 15:55:08 »
I agree with Razzorman, it should be the winner of the last competition to choose category and stuff for the new one.
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Offline Bored2death

• My attempt at a Nurykabe Tiled room XD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 18:43:37 »
I've got an idea: the winner gets to choose the next category(s), AND their level is the basic build for the next competition, where you ADD more stuff to it. Eventually, we can make a totally AWESMOE level this way. However, this will only be applied to levels of the same category. SO, when someone starts an environmental competition, they will begin a new level entirely, but once it shifts back to this hard challenge level, we would continue off this build. Did anyone understand what I just said?

Also... the start positions of the added on segments are changed to the beginning of their segments, so the judges don't have to play through their own part of the level or any previous parts several times in a row.
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2009, 19:01:11 »
I may do this, not sure. Oh, and to clarify, it's already started right? I could start making it now?

Offline Razzorman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2009, 19:18:26 »
I've got an idea: the winner gets to choose the next category(s), AND their level is the basic build for the next competition, where you ADD more stuff to it. Eventually, we can make a totally AWESMOE level this way. However, this will only be applied to levels of the same category. SO, when someone starts an environmental competition, they will begin a new level entirely, but once it shifts back to this hard challenge level, we would continue off this build.
Nah. Its a good idea, but lets keep this thread a level competition, and not a community level.

Offline Bored2death

• My attempt at a Nurykabe Tiled room XD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2009, 20:06:03 »
I've got an idea: the winner gets to choose the next category(s), AND their level is the basic build for the next competition, where you ADD more stuff to it. Eventually, we can make a totally AWESMOE level this way. However, this will only be applied to levels of the same category. SO, when someone starts an environmental competition, they will begin a new level entirely, but once it shifts back to this hard challenge level, we would continue off this build.
Nah. Its a good idea, but lets keep this thread a level competition, and not a community level.

Aah, but you see... this ISN'T JUST a community level, nor is it JUST a competition. It combines the two, with several different outcomes as each part is added.
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

Offline Razzorman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2009, 20:58:49 »
Wha? This thread is just a competition.
Your idea is not, and I never said it was. I'd be much happier if it had its own thread though, instead of changing this one. :S