KS Level Competition

• 841 Replies

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
Re: KS Level Competition
« Reply #255 on: May 26, 2010, 18:21:07 »
Alright, I decided to give this a shot... even though I started just now and the deadline is after tomorrow X)  I'm not sure if I will make it, tho.
Some KS levels by me:

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #256 on: May 27, 2010, 20:14:14 »
Just to be safe: is a puzzle/maze/challenge entry valid even if it's also focused on environment, as long as it isn't tagged as "Environmental"?

Also, is it OK to release the level on the very last day of the established deadline? (currently May 28th)

Sorry if I sound too noobish :oops:
Some KS levels by me:

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #257 on: May 28, 2010, 21:39:48 »
Sorry for posting three times in a row, guys. Here's my entry for the contest:

http://nifflas.lpchip.nl/index.php?topic=3441.0
Some KS levels by me:

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #258 on: May 29, 2010, 07:13:24 »
It's after midnight here, so I guess the 2 entries I have are all there will be. I have one from Healy and one from Vegetal Gibber. I will start playing them now, and post the results later today.

edit:
The results are in. Both entries were good, but Vegetal Gibber's was better. Out of a possible 35 points, Healy received 28 and Vegetal Gibber received 30. Both contestants had strong showings in all categories. Points were lost for small gripes only.

Congratulations Vegetal Gibber! You're the winner!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 08:31:18 by egomassive »

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #259 on: May 29, 2010, 16:35:20 »
Whoa! :O I know this has been said over and over and can be misunderstood as false modesty... but it's true, I didn't expect this :P  It was really close, though. Healy's level was pretty good, and I'm sure that if he had made it a bit longer, he would have beaten me easily.

It's a pity there weren't more entries in this competition, the real-life theme is very interesting. Originally, I wasn't going to take part on this, but I made an habit of checking the thread everyday because I was interested on the levels made by the contestants. Then I read Healy's post and thought it would be a shame if his was the only lone entry in the contest... and so, a few days later, I gathered up my courage and decided to give it a shot. With sexy results, apparently.

Anyway... I want to thank both Healy (for releasing another real-life themed level for this contest and for sorta encouraging me to make an entry myself :) ) and egomassive (for starting this contest... and for declaring me the winner, obviously X) ).

I suppose it's now my turn to issue a new competition. Let me think about it for a while and I'll make another post tomorrow.

PS: I must admit I'm kinda curious about how both levels scored individually in each category :P

EDIT: Ugh... I don't know if you noticed, egomassive, but I made a mistake in one of the shifts >_<
(x993y994). That path leads you to the wrong screen when you attempt to go back into the "main" street from there. Fortunately, this doesn't break the game, but it can confuse the players. I already fixed the bug and posted an update on the release thread, but I thought it would be fair to post it here too. If you think this changes the outcome of the contest, I'll accept your decision.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 23:20:21 by Vegetal Gibber »
Some KS levels by me:

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #260 on: May 30, 2010, 02:11:36 »
I didn't notice. There's so much to keep track of, and it all looks so similar. That's all part of being a maze level though. I do recall one section surprising me and I guess that's why.
Spoiler: surprise (click to show/hide)

Anyway, my decision is final. V.G. is still the winner, and just because you asked...
Spoiler: scoring breakdown (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 02:15:33 by egomassive »

Offline Healy

• View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 30, 2010, 04:24:54 »
Congrats VG! Can't wait until you pick a theme for the next contest!

Offline Firecat

• Every bit is important.
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: May 30, 2010, 05:28:59 »
VG, your update its missing the Custom Stuff.
There's 110011 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, Those who don't, and those who confuse it with ASCII.

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #263 on: May 30, 2010, 11:49:35 »
Thanks! :D

Firecat, the small update is supposed to be applied on top of the original release. If you didn't download the level before, you can just get the 1.1 version using the main download link on the release thread.

New competition coming soon... as soon as I finish my breakfast :P
Some KS levels by me:

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #264 on: May 30, 2010, 12:45:58 »
Gentlemen, I apologize for the delay. Here it is... the theme of the next competition:

HUMOR! :D

Now go! Start making your level! The city needs you! Make something, will ya!?

...Huh? You actually want to read a bunch of boring explanations? Okay, if that's what you wish...

Spoiler: Rules of the contest (click to show/hide)

* Multiple entries now allowed: each contestant can submit up to 2 different levels, which will be judged separately *

Deadline is June 13th, two weeks from now (but I may add an extension if needed). Good luck, everyone!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 13:27:05 by Vegetal Gibber »
Some KS levels by me:

Offline bulbapuck

• One day hoping to become Venopuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: May 30, 2010, 12:55:32 »
Hmmm.. This is interesting.

I'll try 8)
Emma fell down a well - Enviromental KS level inspired by Salmoneous/Elder
Level in the works: Whitebow Island

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #266 on: May 30, 2010, 17:38:46 »
Hmmm... ya know, if I come up with a quick and easy idea, I miiiiiggghhhhtttt just do this. 

« Reply #267 on: May 30, 2010, 20:55:15 »
How do you feel on multiple entries?
Lurk more.

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #268 on: May 30, 2010, 22:49:31 »
Glad to see interest in here :) Looking forward to your entries, guys.

How do you feel on multiple entries?

You mean more than one entry per user? Hmmm... I guess I didn't really think about this. I assumed we were going to do this the same way as before (one entry per user), but it's actually not a bad idea with this theme. I'll consider it if there are no strong objections from other contestants, so I'll wait for two days until making a final decision. However, if I do allow multiple entries, they'll be limited to 2 per contestant. Sounds good?

Another rule I assumed and forgot to mention: all entries must be new levels. Levels that were being worked on or released before this contest was announced will be rejected.
Some KS levels by me:

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #269 on: May 31, 2010, 12:15:14 »
It's after midnight here, so I guess the 2 entries I have are all there will be. I have one from Healy and one from Vegetal Gibber. I will start playing them now, and post the results later today.

I'm really sorry I didn't contribute; some IRL stuff happened and I had to leave, only came back on Saturday evening.  :moody: