Make liquid non-lethal?

• 12 Replies
Make liquid non-lethal?
« on: November 03, 2009, 23:50:48 »
Hey everyone, I've been searching for this all over..
The problem is, that I want to make a little secret way that has water in it, I'm using obj 19 from bank 1, but it's lethal, I want to make it so you actually "walk in the water". That is, as you can see in the picture attached here, I want that area within the red box to be non lethal and having the water move, as water does in the game.

Do I have to custom make water for that to work or is there any simpler way?

Offline Emeraldfire7

• LoZ FTW!
    • View Profile
Re: Make liquid non-lethal?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 23:55:54 »
yeah you do have to make custom water :/ but its not that hard trust me :P2

there may also be some already made by some of the other forum goers XD

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 23:59:34 »
I recommend you download Knytt Experiment; it already has all the sprites for that water, which you can then turn into a CO. :D

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 00:15:59 »
Whoa, thanks for a blazing fast reply guys!

And I'll check out Knytt Experiment, again thanks! :)

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 00:30:40 »
A very strong caution: make it clear early on in your level that water isn't lethal, and make sure that it's all water that isn't lethal.  Internal inconsistency is very bad.

Offline TechnoGeek

• My new project, Notroid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 03:08:06 »
A very strong caution: make it clear early on in your level that water isn't lethal, and make sure that it's all water that isn't lethal.  Internal inconsistency is very bad.

the idea is that it's a secret area, that this particular water is harmless. (correct me if i'm wrong, Chameleon)
Spoiler: Technogeek's Signature (click to show/hide)

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 03:16:26 »
A very strong caution: make it clear early on in your level that water isn't lethal, and make sure that it's all water that isn't lethal.  Internal inconsistency is very bad.

the idea is that it's a secret area, that this particular water is harmless. (correct me if i'm wrong, Chameleon)

Yup, you're correct about that one. ;)
All water in my level is supposed to be lethal, except for that one instance, since it's a secret area.
Plus, this level isn't intended for a public release, only for few friends, so they'll find out sooner or later about it with hints from me.. if they don't find it themselves :)

Oh, and one more thing.. I can't seem to find it by searching, but I managed to use the water sprites from Knytt Experiment and made a Custom Object, but the problem is that every single water sprite animates exactly the same when the normal water from Bank1 is randomized, that is they every single sprite doesn't start on frame 0 like the CO does, but seems to be very random... any way I can do that?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 03:35:10 by Chameleon »

Offline Emeraldfire7

• LoZ FTW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 04:15:30 »
you could but you'd need to use multiple co's not different animations but with different setting commands Example:

animto
animfrom
animloopback
etc.

with these you can do alot of "random-ish" effects with water
(i'd explain it but would take much too long)
check out the CO manual, it helped me lots :P2

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 11:12:41 »
you could but you'd need to use multiple co's not different animations but with different setting commands Example:

animto
animfrom
animloopback
etc.

with these you can do alot of "random-ish" effects with water
(i'd explain it but would take much too long)
check out the CO manual, it helped me lots :P2

Yeah okay, I had that idea, was just hoping there would be a single line that would go like "random = 1" or something, guess I was too optimistic there! ;)
And since this is just for this one place I'll be using this I'll just make few CO's that start from a random place in the animation.

Again, thanks a lot! :)

Offline Emeraldfire7

• LoZ FTW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 14:08:36 »
yeah its no problem :P2 one thing though, you shouldn't make the random animation start more than 1 frame apart, otherwise you'll get some weird looking "jagged edges" in the water

I just realised that now XD better warn you now than dissappoint later eh? lol

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2009, 14:45:42 »
yeah its no problem :P2 one thing though, you shouldn't make the random animation start more than 1 frame apart, otherwise you'll get some weird looking "jagged edges" in the water

I just realised that now XD better warn you now than dissappoint later eh? lol

Haha noted, though I think the edges in those water sprites I'm using are always the same, just the middle pixels are changing, so it works pretty well. :) I made 6 OC's starting at 1, 4, 7 ,9 ,11 and 13 or something like that (out of 15 (16)) total frames and it looked pretty nice

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2009, 01:18:59 »
Haha noted, though I think the edges in those water sprites I'm using are always the same, just the middle pixels are changing, so it works pretty well. :)
Same is true of the default water sprite sheets.
Lurk more.

Offline Emeraldfire7

• LoZ FTW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2009, 08:56:57 »
then i guess i overcomplicated my water CO's XD ohwell lol