Requesting help with a room

• 4 Replies
Requesting help with a room
« on: November 03, 2009, 19:15:27 »
{Sorry, I just realized I posted this in the wrong thread: Can it be moved to Knytt Stories Level Editing Support?)

I'm making a game with a section similar to Don't Eat the Mushroom. Here's the room I'm having trouble on:

The first problem I'm having is with the water. I've made it deadly enough with kill tiles (for the searchers trying to figure out how to do this - bank 16, red squares). It's milk, and I'm either going to have it in the background or in a bowl. Either way, it makes the tiles above it lighter during gameplay. Is there a way around this, or will I have to animate my own custom water objects?

Problem 2 with the water: How do I put an object behind regular tiles? I've tried all four object layers.

Finally, I'd like to have some falling deadly cheerios. Or at least something falling. Is possible to make an object or even an enemy obey game physics?

Been through the tutorial here: http://view.samurajdata.se/psview.php?id=82f4482c&page=1 as well as the FAQ and I've gone through the search for various terms, falling boulder, water brightens, object behind, etc, haven't found anything. If it's out there, perhaps I just don't know the right terms.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 00:17:40 by Deciheximal »

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
Re: Requesting help with a room
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 19:53:26 »
You don't need kill tiles to make water deadly. It will kill you by default.
The glow thing is not because of the kill tiles either, but a part of the water sprite. Since its part of the sprite, there is no way to remove it.
I guess you could make your own custom water object, or simply recolor color one of the existing custom objects.
You could also remove that black tint at the bottom of the gradient, which would make the white glow less noticeable.
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 20:46:01 »
The only way to do away with the white glow is to make a new Custom Object for the milk; of course you'll need to use kill tiles for that, because COs can't be made deadly, nor tangible. Which brings me to your last question: you can make falling cheerios by making an animated CO, but neither can you make it deadly nor can you exploit game physics. About putting tiles in front of objects, you simply can't; again, the only way around here would be to make more COs (possibly replicas of existing tiles), hoping you don't run out of layers, but 4 should be enough.

P.S: Oh, welcome to the Forum!  C)p
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 22:32:43 »
P.S: Oh, welcome to the Forum!

Thanks!

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 06:54:28 »
you can make falling cheerios by making an animated CO, but neither can you make it deadly nor can you exploit game physics
:shifty:
Lurk more.