Backgrounds

• 6 Replies

Offline Bored2death

• My attempt at a Nurykabe Tiled room XD
    • View Profile
Backgrounds
« on: October 12, 2009, 02:26:54 »
I just want to double check on something: are we allowed to use backgrounds taken from searching the internet, then resizing/cutting them down to the correct size? Or, if not, is it allowed if we post a link to the site it's from?
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
Re: Backgrounds
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 03:27:45 »
I'd guess that as long as you have the consent of the person who made the background, it would be fine. Most images on the internet are free to use, too, so that probably wouldn't be much of a problem. Of course, I could be wrong about that.

Offline Bored2death

• My attempt at a Nurykabe Tiled room XD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 03:39:56 »
I'd guess that as long as you have the consent of the person who made the background, it would be fine. Most images on the internet are free to use, too, so that probably wouldn't be much of a problem. Of course, I could be wrong about that.
Right. I've noticed that for a lot of school projects and stuff, we can use any picture for anything, really, without consequence or even needing to cite it... I wanted to double check, though. I'd be curious to hear LPChip's opinion, though...
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 08:26:49 »
When you google for images, you'll notice that as soon as you click a link, the top half of your screen will show a disclaimer telling you that the image might be copyright protected and that you can't just use it.

When you talk about school projects, you'll most likelly will not be distributing the things over the internet and thus not violate the copyright law. True, if you do the school assignment digitally on the pc, you're also violating that copyrightlaw, but your teachers must think: no way that this'll end up on the internet, and thus they don't fear in dealing with a lawsuit.

So to answer your question: Technically speaking, it depends on the site you're getting the image from, but usually its always a good idea to ask the author for permission, regardless if you're going to edit the image or not.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 15:40:42 »
When you talk about school projects, you'll most likelly will not be distributing the things over the internet and thus not violate the copyright law. True, if you do the school assignment digitally on the pc, you're also violating that copyrightlaw, but your teachers must think: no way that this'll end up on the internet, and thus they don't fear in dealing with a lawsuit.

Nah, my teachers don't care. No one will know anyways :)

Oh and if you go to Deviant Art, look for something that has creative commons. Most people think that its for copyrighting work. Feel free to edit it!

I wish I had a da ;_;

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 19:10:19 »
Oh and if you go to Deviant Art, look for something that has creative commons. Most people think that its for copyrighting work. Feel free to edit it!
Nope. From the DeviantArt copyright policy page:
Quote from: DA copyright policy
What is Copyright Infringement?

To simplify this question, copyright infringement occurs when you do certain things with a creative work which someone else produced without first getting the proper permission.

Some examples of copyright infringement (this is only a partial listing) can include:
  • Placing a photograph or creative work online without proper permission.
  • Using a creative work commercially.
  • Adapting a creative work of one medium to another, such as making a book into a movie or a photograph into a painting.
  • Modifying or editing a creative work without proper permission.

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 19:56:23 »
Nope. From the DeviantArt copyright policy page:
Quote from: DA copyright policy
What is Copyright Infringement?

To simplify this question, copyright infringement occurs when you do certain things with a creative work which someone else produced without first getting the proper permission.

Some examples of copyright infringement (this is only a partial listing) can include:
  • Placing a photograph or creative work online without proper permission.
  • Using a creative work commercially.
  • Adapting a creative work of one medium to another, such as making a book into a movie or a photograph into a painting.
  • Modifying or editing a creative work without proper permission.

If something is under the right Creative Commons license, this doesn't apply. (But make sure to follow all the terms of the license.)
good bye