[Normal][Environmental][Misc] Area of Radiation

• 32 Replies

Offline pLox

• View Profile
[Normal][Environmental][Misc] Area of Radiation
« on: October 11, 2009, 18:06:37 »
Hello everyone! I've been working on a new project I call: Area of Radiation.
Its kind of an RPG, and I have been inspired by alot of games like S.T.A.L.K.E.R Shadow of Chernobyl, and Fallout 3. anyway, this is just a sneak peek so you guys can get a feel of what the level is like. I wanna get as much critique as possible so I can get a better feeling
of wether you guys like the concept or not, what I can improve and so on.
Tell me what you think of it.
pLox
:)
So basically my main objective with this project is to make a world where you have a "main storyline" of jobs/quests, and a "side storyline" where you just carry out small tasks for random NPC's scattered throughout the world. I have a HUGE world in mind, but like I said this is just a peek to get a feeling of what the level is going to be like. you just get to see a small part of the world. I was thinking that, as you progressed doing jobs, you would find out more and more about who you are, where you came from and so on, aswell as get powerups so you can get to many other places in the large world, meeting new people and questgivers and whatnot. and when people finished the whole main storyline and side tasks, I would "patch" the world, adding new areas, quests, and so on. So it has potential of going a long way, and continuing for a long time.
well, atleast I hope you get an understanding of what I had in mind, and I hope that the people who atleast played the demo enjoyed this small part of it.
thanks again for the comments. :)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 23:39:22 by pLox »

Offline theiza27

• 'allo!
    • View Profile
Re: [Normal][Environmental][Misc] Area of Radiation
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 19:05:20 »
ok i'm sure someone who knows more about it will tell you... but you have a lot of tiles that you use both for background and as tiles that u can walk/climb on... which you shouldn't... aaaand i couldn't get past that thing in the house... is that even possible with no power ups?

Offline pLox

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 19:09:50 »
ok i'm sure someone who knows more about it will tell you... but you have a lot of tiles that you use both for background and as tiles that u can walk/climb on... which you shouldn't... aaaand i couldn't get past that thing in the house... is that even possible with no power ups?

I know I use SOME tiles for both climbing and background but I didnt think that it would be that confusing? and for the thing in the house, you DO recieve a powerup as you enter, that being the climb powerup. maybe should have made that clearer. anyway thanks for the critique. I'll try to make it better. :)

Offline theiza27

• 'allo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 19:34:08 »
yeah u definitely should make it clear that we receive that lolz i shall return when i finish :)

Offline saba

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 20:08:49 »
I like this. It certainly looks very odd with floating trees, solid ground becoming background and so on. I know a lot of people don't like that but I personally don't mind. I like the idea that you do small jobs to earn your powerups.
Also, why did you release it? Usually you finish a level and then release it  :D

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 21:11:30 »
All in all, an interesting idea, I hope you finish this. Nice thing with the tasks and everything. Climbing the mountain now. Finished it now.

Comments: the floating trees texture looks really nice, no problem with me here. I actually enjoyed it. However, it is confusing when tiles aren't used consistently (i.e. what theiza27 pointed out). I'm not sure if you can rectify it without damaging the overall look...

Also, I wouldn't say this is normal difficulty, feels more like hard to me. Definitely something for advanced players. Oh, and do make it clear that you're given a powerup once you enter the house.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 21:13:53 by yohji »

Offline pLox

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 21:23:01 »
All in all, an interesting idea, I hope you finish this. Nice thing with the tasks and everything. Climbing the mountain now. Finished it now.

Comments: the floating trees texture looks really nice, no problem with me here. I actually enjoyed it. However, it is confusing when tiles aren't used consistently (i.e. what theiza27 pointed out). I'm not sure if you can rectify it without damaging the overall look...

Also, I wouldn't say this is normal difficulty, feels more like hard to me. Definitely something for advanced players. Oh, and do make it clear that you're given a powerup once you enter the house.

Thank you for that :) I was hoping that the task concept would come out okay. and I'll look into the tile problem + add a note telling the player that he/she recieves the climb powerup at the house. and indeed you might be right about that it should say [hard]. anyway, love that you are commenting! more comments people! what you think of the overall idea and so on! thank you! :)
Although I'm not really sure what you mean by "floating trees"? It's supposed to look like they are growing on the walls if that are what you're referring to.

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 21:31:07 »
Although I'm not really sure what you mean by "floating trees"? It's supposed to look like they are growing on the walls if that are what you're referring to.

I just used saba's phrase, sorry. They do grow on walls and stuff, and the last screens of the mountain were very beautiful with those cliffs in the distance  :)

Offline saba

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 22:48:46 »

I just used saba's phrase, sorry. They do grow on walls and stuff, and the last screens of the mountain were very beautiful with those cliffs in the distance  :)

Okay, I get it now. I just looked at it again and since the sprites are cut off it looks to me like there are pieces of trees floating in the air. Anything's possible in Knytt Stories  :shifty:

Offline pLox

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 18:19:16 »

Okay, I get it now. I just looked at it again and since the sprites are cut off it looks to me like there are pieces of trees floating in the air. Anything's possible in Knytt Stories  :shifty:

heh, yeah I it looks like they're cut off, but I just thought trees growing on walls would be a nice touch to the whole scenery ;)

EDIT: heh, I hope you people not posting anything means it's good. :P
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 20:09:40 by pLox »

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 02:29:21 »
ok i'm sure someone who knows more about it will tell you... but you have a lot of tiles that you use both for background and as tiles that u can walk/climb on... which you shouldn't
Are you kidding me? It's like real life. Some rocks you climb on, and others you jump right through. Erm.. wait. Nevermind.

Also, West<----    ---->East
Lurk more.

Offline pLox

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009, 19:50:04 »
ok i'm sure someone who knows more about it will tell you... but you have a lot of tiles that you use both for background and as tiles that u can walk/climb on... which you shouldn't
Are you kidding me? It's like real life. Some rocks you climb on, and others you jump right through. Erm.. wait. Nevermind.

Also, West<----    ---->East

West<----    ---->East??...oh, wait, I get it. I typed "west" when The Trader points you in the direction of the bar didn't I?...
I'll fix that.

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2009, 20:56:35 »
West<----    ---->East??...oh, wait, I get it. I typed "west" when The Trader points you in the direction of the bar didn't I?...
I'll fix that.

Yeah, I noticed that mistake too, just forgot to mention it. I don't remember where it was, though  :oops:

Anyway, the KS community is kind of old now and slowly disappearing, I guess. That should account for the low level of user activity here. It's sad, but... Maybe you could try to interest people by (a) moving this topic to "KS Level Previews", and, more importantly, (b) by adding some screenshots. I recommend the mountain top because it's just so beautiful  :)

Offline pLox

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2009, 21:34:41 »
West<----    ---->East??...oh, wait, I get it. I typed "west" when The Trader points you in the direction of the bar didn't I?...
I'll fix that.

Yeah, I noticed that mistake too, just forgot to mention it. I don't remember where it was, though  :oops:

Anyway, the KS community is kind of old now and slowly disappearing, I guess. That should account for the low level of user activity here. It's sad, but... Maybe you could try to interest people by (a) moving this topic to "KS Level Previews", and, more importantly, (b) by adding some screenshots. I recommend the mountain top because it's just so beautiful  :)

I guess you're right about the KS community disappearing, which I also find, very sad. Or maybe people just aint that interested in this map. but hey thanks for the tip about moving it to "previews" and adding some screenshots. and by "mountain top" do you mean the top in the second "main storyline" task?
EDIT: how do I move a topic?  :oops: I never did it before so...
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 21:42:08 by pLox »

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2009, 21:47:55 »
and by "mountain top" do you mean the top in the second "main storyline" task?

Yes, I see you've already added it. I love that cliff in the distance :)

EDIT: how do I move a topic?  :oops: I never did it before so...

Er, I think you need to PM a moderator for that. They usually do move topics in such cases, but yours got overlooked for some reason :/