[Maze] Dungeon

• 12 Replies
[Maze] Dungeon
« on: October 09, 2009, 22:51:45 »
I originally made this level right before the last forum died, so I don't know if a lot of people have played it or not, so I figured I'd repost it.

http://knyttlevels.com/levels/Evangelos%20-%20Dungeon.knytt.bin

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
Re: [Maze] Dungeon
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 23:29:29 »
Aside from a few inconsistencies (such as identical tiles being solid on one screen and background on the next one) and
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
this was a very, very enjoyable level. Great mood, wonderful little details here and there. Did you make the tileset and/or the music?

Offline taolin

• regina george is flawless
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 23:41:04 »
wonderful. i enjoyed every second of this

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 00:12:38 »
Aside from a few inconsistencies (such as identical tiles being solid on one screen and background on the next one) and
this was a very, very enjoyable level. Great mood, wonderful little details here and there. Did you make the tileset and/or the music?

The tileset is a remix of one of fredrik's (or his brother's, I can't remember which) which I did myself. The music is public domain that I found somewhere.

Truthfully, I really couldn't think of a story to go with this, so I just left it as is.

I'm thinking of making a second game.

Offline Emeraldfire7

• LoZ FTW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 00:39:33 »
I remember playing this ages ago, was uber fun :F anyways i really enjoyed this level, even if it didn't have a story (as mine don't usually have one :P2) i still have the map i made for it XD

Anyways kudos on the level :) it was very nicely made

Offline theiza27

• 'allo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 04:01:03 »
very nice! quite enjoy that tile set  ;)

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 08:28:19 »

i still have the map i made for it XD
:O Cheater. You think Juni gets pencil and paper when she goes in a maze?
Lurk more.

Offline Emeraldfire7

• LoZ FTW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 16:17:22 »
nope but i do XD either way it was fun :P2

Offline MilkMan

• Drink Milk
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 16:48:26 »
wow felt like a nightmare, awesome job!

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 21:16:56 »
Truthfully, I really couldn't think of a story to go with this, so I just left it as is.

I think just a screen with trees or something to show that you've found your way out would be enough... you know, to enhance the feeling of accomplishment?  :)

I'm thinking of making a second game.

Cool, will be waiting for it. Good luck if you start it  ;)

Offline the Jack

• not *that* Jack!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 21:38:41 »
Ooh, this was very, very satisfying. I found it via yohji's rec in the Favourite Levels thread here.

I love the tileset... no idea what the original looked like, and how much was your work vs in the original, but between picking it & tweaking it for the level, it really worked perfectly. The gloomy darkness, the green working with the shapes of the broken, irregular or 'aqueduct' (the passages too small for Knytts to fit in) tiles and the raindrop effects to suggest both age and dampness, even dankness... the ambiance & music... everything, just everything, felt as though it didn't just fit but belonged together. Even, once I encountered them, the

About the tiles which were sometimes obstacles and sometimes background, I didn't have a problem with it; for the few tiles you chose to do it with, it made sense. And I actually liked the intro screen being just the pattern of blocks, and the ending

I also deeply appreciated the way you varied the arrangements of tiles, and used certain tiles sparingly, to serve as landmarks for the attentive player. At one point I thought I was hopelessly lost, but eventually I realised I recognised where I was again. Though by the time I got all four keys, I no longer recognised

All in all a lovely level. Must remember to add it to the recs list in the League of Crap Players thread.  :D

Actually, it's eggplant.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2010, 23:10:07 »
Very nice level - you achieved an amazing amount of visual variety with very limited means. The mood was great, and the music was just perfect.

My only point of criticism would be that it didn't seem to make much sense to have invisible walls in a few places - with a setting made up almost entirely of walls, why not put *real* layer 3 walls there instead?

I didn't mind the lack of a real ending, btw - the ending screen felt suitably abstract and mysterious, almost philosophical. Like the Jack, I was left wondering if Juni had really escaped, and also (kind of) what the maze may have 'meant'...