[Medium/Misc/Hard] Vasilisa the Beautiful

• 44 Replies
[Medium/Misc/Hard] Vasilisa the Beautiful
« on: October 06, 2009, 02:32:55 »
Hello, everyone!

Vasilisa the Beautiful is the first knytt story we have ever made, and we are eager to get feedback from you. So, here it is, you can download it here:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=A7MM2GGW (17.05 MB) [Updated link, May 2010: fixed some void screens (thank you, GrayFace), some graphics (thank you, yohji) and made it less sadistic at times :P]

"We" refers to myself and my girlfriend when we created Vasilisa, Susanna, our combined names of whom somehow make up the "Tsuzo" who is the creator of this level. She gets credit for concept and artwork, I get credit for the bad, cheesy jokes and the sadistic challenges...  :P2

A few words about the story... Vasilisa the Beautiful is a traditional Russian fairy-tale. Like most fairy-tales, it hides some deeper truths of life in its seemingly simplistic story. Vasilisa is a story of initiation, of maturation, and especially, of the attainment of womanhood.

With that in mind, we based this story loosely on Vasilisa's quest, as a framework on which to build. Of course it deviates vastly from the fairy-tale, to an extent because the level editor - although a masterly tool - would need 100 times more shifts and flags to help Juni find peas in wheat, as per the original story...

We should warn the hardcore knytters out there that we have used solely the custom default tilesets and music. I know that some people say they don't like to see those anymore, and that's a fair viewpoint. But what we essentially have created is a story, not a random walk in the woods where one finds power-ups and jumps over monsters without a purpose. It's the story that matters most, we think.

Also, since this is our first story, it is clear to us that the first parts we made are lacking very much in relation to the latter, as we learnt how to use the level editor in a more refined way. In any case, you can be the judge  :) Any feedback - on layout, problems, on the story itself etc. - is more than welcome!

We enjoyed very much creating Vasilisa, we hope you will enjoy playing it as much!

[Note: I edited out the 'custom tilesets' mistake in the original post, and I also uploaded the level once more, because I couldn't resist playing it again, only to find a void screen *sigh!* I also did two minor changes.. Sorry to those who have already downloaded it.]
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 00:58:02 by Theoharis »

Offline Evil

• View Profile
Re: [Medium/Misc/Hard] Vasilisa the Beautiful
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 03:08:28 »
THIS IS THE MOST EPIC GAME I'VE PLAYED so far in my life

seriously, you should get like 10,0000000$ just for being so epic

and another 1000000000000000000$ for making this epic level >:0

I really loved the plot, and the graphics were beautiful.

I hope to see more of your levels in the future :)

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 03:14:33 »
What?! You finished it so fast??? Damn, and I thought

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Thanks for your kind words, Evil, I really appreciate it...

Offline Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 03:19:39 »
What?! You finished it so fast??? Damn, and I thought

Thanks for your kind words, Evil, I really appreciate it...

The labbyrynth was easy :)

I just got a map from the thingy without looking at the individual screens, (that way it would FEEL like you're in  a labyrinth!)

(^lv editor&& playin it from my parents comp since i dont have paypal for virtualmod)

Offline koromi

• ▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
    • View Profile
    • livejournal
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 03:30:35 »
We should warn the hardcore knytters out there that we have used solely the custom tilesets and music.

i think you mean default.

Offline taolin

• regina george is flawless
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 03:39:08 »
i can't even get past the first part
it's like impossible or something i don't even know

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 03:45:50 »
We should warn the hardcore knytters out there that we have used solely the custom tilesets and music.

i think you mean default.

Oops! Yes, indeed! Sorry about that!

Offline lamarblake

• ICU
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 05:27:06 »
I can't get past the first part either. Maze is really confusing. I must say I really dislike playing levels with invisible walls, shifts, killzones or anything that relies on trickery. Besides, I found a wallswim in the invisible maze and got trapped in a tile in the area where the angel says youhou.

Having levels with difficult mazes that you can SEE is one thing and levels with near impossilbe jumps I can accept but this is nutz.

Sorry, just how I feel. Too bad though as there seemed to be a very decent storyline going on there.

I'll leave this one for the truly diehard fans but it gets deleted in my collection.

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 11:13:58 »
I was able to get through the Crystal Maze without much difficulty, by just running around aimlessly. However, it was very irritating... and then surprise, there's
And worse, it actually

ARGH! So I kind of quit after reaching Land's Edge, sorry :/ I got stuck there, too. Also, you should fix those background birds there, they're appearing over the foreground a lot.

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 12:30:08 »
~17MB is quite large for dial-up. I usually just ignore large levels and move on, but I'm curious- if everything's default, how come the filesize is large? Cutscenes maybe? Just curious :)

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 15:50:00 »
Besides, I found a wallswim in the invisible maze and got trapped in a tile in the area where the angel says youhou.

Can you send a screenshot of where that is? I'll fix it...

[/spoiler]
And worse, it actually

You're wrong there, Yojhi, you just didn't find it  ;)

~17MB is quite large for dial-up. I usually just ignore large levels and move on, but I'm curious- if everything's default, how come the filesize is large? Cutscenes maybe? Just curious :)

Yes, there are quite few cutscenes, and I think this is what makes it large...

About the maze, we have been debating lots whether we should make it an invisible thing that's quite tricky. We decided to leave it this way. But if it discourages people from continuing to play, then perhaps we should modify it... I'll have a pow-wow about it today, and see...
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 15:56:02 by Theoharis »

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2009, 16:31:30 »
You're wrong there, Yojhi, you just didn't find it  ;)

Yeah, I've figured that out by now, but I'm too scared to go through that area again  :ohnoes:  :)

Offline lamarblake

• ICU
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2009, 16:42:48 »
? Reply #10 on: Today at 08:50:00 AM ?  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from: lamarblake on Yesterday at 10:27:06 PM
Besides, I found a wallswim in the invisible maze and got trapped in a tile in the area where the angel says youhou.

Can you send a screenshot of where that is? I'll fix it...

Theo....I could but like I said I uninstalled the level. If you rethink the maze I'll redownload and try and find the wallswim.   ;)  nudge,nudge.

Let me add something. It's not the difficulty per se when it comes to things like invisible mazes, it's the time spent. I play Knytt to relax and usually don't have a whole lot of time to give it so getting stuck in an area that is invisible can take too much time without any progress. But then that's me. Dont change this for just one or two people. Wait till you get more feedback.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 16:48:34 by lamarblake »

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2009, 17:42:07 »
Nah, you're right, lamarblake... My gf has also been irritated lots from that maze - I guess I should have paid more heed to that.

So, in the original post is yet another updated version (in which the birds outside CandyLand have also been taken care of - thanks, Yojhi). I think with the changes made, the maze gets less of random (=irritating) part and something that now requires some brain usage...

Thanks for the comments, guys!  :^^:

Offline theiza27

• 'allo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2009, 06:35:32 »
::sigh:: i can't even get to the red key :(

sheesh i didn't even know that jump was possible lolz

EDIT: ok i haven't finished it yet but i have to say that you really should fix that crystal vine thing that goes up towards the maze because its hard to climb and it usually always leads to a wall swim. ok thats it until i finish :)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 06:47:07 by theiza27 »