(Spoiler) Odd Hidden friction glitch

• 9 Replies

Offline Josh

• View Profile
(Spoiler) Odd Hidden friction glitch
« on: August 25, 2009, 21:20:25 »
In the last cavern in Hidden, the one with the
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
thing, there seems to be more vertical air resistance than horizontal. It's hard to describe.. If you set the star on a diagonal path, it slowly curves towards a horizontal line. It's clearest to see on a diagonal path close to the horizontal, because then the star's trail ends up as a neat curve with a straight horizontal section on the end. Odd really.

I'm going to investigate hidden's glitches, see if I can spot anything other than this friction bug and the phantom orb particle glitch.

P.S. Sorry if my spoiler is ugly, I can't find a decent guide to spoilers on the forum (though I've seen Paula's FAQ on naming them), and I'm sure it was possible to make spoilers fit into the line before, rather than doing the new line thing. If it isn't, maybe I'm delusional  :crazy:

Re: (Spoiler) Odd Hidden friction glitch
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 21:24:48 »
If you're talking about above ground, yeah. That's the way Nifflas prevents going off the top of the screen.
Lurk more.

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 21:33:07 »
The spoiler-goes-to-new-line thing annoys me, too. There is indeed no way to fix it, I believe.

Offline Josh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 23:38:56 »
Nah, not above ground. I mean in the underground cavern with the
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
. This isn't the pushing you down from the sky thing, this is a subtle "push you to a horizontal direction" thing. If you're going down, it pushes you up, and vice versa. Try it..

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 04:06:16 »
I just don't seem to be able to find this. <_<
Lurk more.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 08:28:01 »
Answer to an off-topic post
The spoiler-goes-to-new-line thing annoys me, too. There is indeed no way to fix it, I believe.
There is, but its intentional because otherwise things start to look really weird.

Now, lets get back on-topic
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Josh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 15:56:03 »
I've printscreened an example. Turns out it happens anywhere, even above ground, it's just harder to verify above ground because of the pushing down effect getting in the way.

Spoiler: Image1 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Image2 (click to show/hide)

Gosh that was a dull description..

Offline Gorfinhofin

• Totally Sane Storyteller
  • Bugbears are cool.
    • View Profile
    • My World Famous Grilled Let's Plays
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 22:57:21 »
Okay, I think the reason this happens is because of the very, very tiny period of time between when you release up/down, and when you release left/right. I've gotten it to even out both vertically and horizontally on multiple screens, so it's not just the last screen either.
Note: It is pretty tricky to actually see it happening. The star moves in the one direction for a split second after it stops moving diagonally.

When something smells, it's usually my monitor.

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 01:25:54 »
Okay, I think the reason this happens is because of the very, very tiny period of time between when you release up/down, and when you release left/right. I've gotten it to even out both vertically and horizontally on multiple screens, so it's not just the last screen either.
Precisely. The way the star's programmed, it has two variables: x speed and y speed. These decrease constantly to slow it down. e.g. If you're going x speed 15 and y speed 7, you'll eventually hit x speed 8 and y speed 0. :)
Lurk more.

Offline Josh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2009, 18:57:30 »
Thanks! That's very interesting.. and explains why 45 degree angles aren't affected.

Purple pineapple and Gorf should give themselves a :hiddenstar: each, especially appropriate here!